Finally finished my '69 Airstream Caravel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally finished my '69 Airstream Caravel

By popular demand! Well one guy asked a long time ago. Got the inside done with new flooring, birch veneer, paint and epoxy tub enclosure etc. I also replaced all the seals and screens. Re-riveted screen door, refurbished all latches and fixed many small things. Lots of work and pretty happy with the result, now to sell it.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 09-17-2022, 06:23 PM.
    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Wow! is that ever nice! You won't have any trouble selling that! i think Much in demand around here anyways.

Comment

That is very cool.
      I hate to say it because it is only a '69 but it really does a retro vibe to it.
      Just curious, what would it weigh? 3,000 or so?
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        That is very cool.
        I hate to say it because it is only a '69 but it really does a retro vibe to it.
        Just curious, what would it weigh? 3,000 or so?
        Yeah the body style is the first of the modern look ones with the curved corning glass in the front corners and large plexi screen. It weighs in at 2880 lbs dry. The Willys towed it really well, around town it was a lot stronger than my '14 Grand Cherokee given the torque of the 350 V8. It just pulled it with seemingly no effort. I didn't haul it for long trips with the Willys though, that's where the GC shined with its gearing and comfort. A medium SUV and V6 is just right, enough power and still got about 18 MPG.
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Nice. Those look awesome when polished up on the outside.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Very cool! Too bad you didn't have it ready to sell 6 months ago....our rv prices were out of this world but have come down quite a bit in the last couple of months. We just bought a 23ft RV that we are fixing up.
            No signature

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
              Nice. Those look awesome when polished up on the outside.
              Yeah that makes them pop and it might be a good investment for selling but will be at least 3K I think, hard to determine ROI. This one got polished about 15 years ago, it was about $100/ft, the going rate for a long time. Now it's gone up like everything else. I considered it, re-polishing is supposed to be easier, but I just didn't have the confidence in doing it myself. It's a nasty job. I have grown to like it the way it is and will call it 'patina'.

My green Willys wagon had peeling clearcoat and I took it to Maaco (gasp!) because it would have made every sale conversation's top topic. I paid 2K and it came out well, not great but it impressed those that looked at it and the buyer is happy. The crazy thing to me is: Why can't they figure out how to not get orange peel and overspray? I suppose their paint is sorta junk but still.
              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

SO cool. Looks like a giant shiny jellybean. You shouldn't have any problem finding a new owner for it.
                1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Hook it up to a pickup with a huge V8. Then put a trailer behind the Airstream for the 1100 turbo. Kinda' like Erly Cuyler's truck-boat-truck.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

The Airstream looks good! If you wanted a revenue stream you could look to renting it out.... there is some money to be made in that, my friend made a very successful business out of it.

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post

My green Willys wagon had peeling clearcoat and I took it to Maaco (gasp!) because it would have made every sale conversation's top topic. I paid 2K and it came out well, not great but it impressed those that looked at it and the buyer is happy. The crazy thing to me is: Why can't they figure out how to not get orange peel and overspray? I suppose their paint is sorta junk but still.
                    Because masking & polishing are very labor intensive as are adding more coats. They just slap it on thick....
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                    X