The Yugo???? Dude only repairs Yugos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Yugo???? Dude only repairs Yugos

Nothing like wrenching a rotten old junker in the morning…

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Pretty cool, actually.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

I think I remember, back in the day, a promotion where when you bought a new Ford, don't remember which model, they gave you a new Yugo for free?
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
        I think I remember, back in the day, a promotion where when you bought a new Ford, don't remember which model, they gave you a new Yugo for free?
        I think that was a Cadillac dealership.
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Speaking of Cadillacs and Yugos:
          Sitting on a set of chromed alloy wheels that started life under a Chevrolet Corvette, this GV looks like Yugoslavia's interpretation of BMW's famous clown shoe thanks to a front end that has been extended by several inches. It's much wider than stock, too, and the extra sheet metal hides a 500-cubic-inch (8.2-liter) V8 stamped with a Cadillac parts number. In comparison, the 1986 Yugo GV shipped with a 1.1-liter four-cylinder engine that sent 55 horsepower and 52 pound-feet of torque to the front wheels via a four-speed manual transmission.
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

I had a friend who got 3 Yugo's under Connecticut's Lemon Law. He liked the car, when it ran.

Comment

Cool. Interesting in that he looks like a relatively young fellow.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

An old article, but a fun one with Jersey roots.

sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Those all look like Fiat models, heaps of them made around under license, gazzilions of them in Egypt Black and Yellow Taxis. Zastava is a name I haven't heard for many years but again Fiat, Russians had them under the name Lada
                  sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Dan Aykroyd reckoned the Yugo was a fine example of automotive technology....
                    Anyone remember the Movie?
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous
                    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                      Dan Aykroyd reckoned the Yugo was a fine example of automotive technology....
                      Anyone remember the Movie?
                      Was it yugo?
                      there was a vw van guy named Gunther hereabouts. People came great distances as he was an expert.
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                        An old article, but a fun one with Jersey roots.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB927584783349821184
                        bummer, wsj too stingy to allow us to read beyond a few lines.
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post

bummer, wsj too stingy to allow us to read beyond a few lines.

A Drag Racer Turns Handicap Of His Yugo to His Advantage

By

Dan MorseStaff Reporter of The Wall Street Journal

May 25, 1999 12:23 am ET ATCO, N.J. -- Dave Benton revs up his engine as the announcer at Atco Raceway calls the action over a scratchy public-address system. "Eighty cubic inches," announcer Max Scherwin tells the crowd of about 2,000. "I know motorcycles that got bigger motors than that."

And Mr. Benton is off. It's his third drag race of the morning, all in a 1986 Yugo.

Let people laugh. Dave Benton and his Yugo
                          The arthritic 62-year-old challenges 17-foot dragsters, souped-up Chevys, roaring Mustangs -- taking full advantage of a handicapping system that gives his baby-blue hatchback up to an eight-second head start in quarter-mile dashes. Under the emblem "Underdog Racing," Mr. Benton has become something of a legend around New Jersey's weekend drag-racing circuit.

Mr. Benton is a throwback to a time when drag racing wasn't about who could spend the most money muscling up a car. What drivers couldn't afford, they simply made themselves. A clutch release? Mr. Benton slapped an old air-conditioner magnet on the floorboard that he activates with a switch on the stick shift. To lighten the Yugo, he uses a battery from a garden tractor; gas is held in a 1-gallon oil tank taken from a Honda motorcycle.

In seven years of racing, he has cut his time to 14.785 seconds from 21.9, hitting speeds of around 90 miles an hour.

But ... a Yugo? The $3,990 car that Consumer Reports once called "a grab bag of barely assembled nuts and bolts"? The vehicle that after it was launched with a slogan of "Everybody you know needs a Yugo" scored worst in its category on U.S. government crash tests? The car that for years became a staple on the joke circuit (Why do Yugos have rear-window defrosters? To keep your hands warm while you push it)?

Actually, in many ways, Mr. Benton is as unique as the Yugo.

A lifelong New Jersey resident, Mr. Benton was born with a clubfoot and wore a leg brace through grade school. At the age of nine, he took apart his first engine. "A '37 Chevy," Mr. Benton recalls. He remembers, he says, because "I never got it back together."

He studied forestry for a year in college but dropped out to pursue a string of disparate careers: Porsche mechanic, cowboy, bulldozer operator, motivational speaker, instructor of automotive technology.

By 1986, Mr. Benton and his wife, Linda, a high-school math teacher, decided to downsize from their '73 Cadillac and old Chrysler station wagon. The first compact they test-drove: an '86 Yugo GV. A half-mile into the ride, Mr. Benton was so taken by the car's pep and handling, they turned the thing around, zipped back to the dealer and bought it. As it happened, Yugo America Inc. was headquartered just up the road in Upper Saddle River. And in 1987, Mr. Benton got a job there, in the technical-services department.

Inside Yugo America, though, things weren't going well. The company had recalled its first 9,000 cars because some of the seat belts weren't bolted on according to specifications. And though Fortune magazine had singled the Yugo out as one of the products of the year in 1985, the car's sales fell consistently short of annual goals of 200,000; they never reached one-quarter of that.

In 1992, Yugo America filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy liquidation, stopped importing the vehicles and left American dealers to take dramatic measures to sell off inventories. One pitch: "Buy a Buick, Get a Free Yugo."

Mr. Benton was once again out of a job. But when his desire for an inexpensive hobby drove him to New Jersey's amateur drag-racing circuit in 1992, Mr. Benton opted for the Yugo. His first quarter-mile time, 21.9 seconds, was only slightly faster than a greyhound could have run it.

One day, returning home from the Atco Raceway, Mr. Benton was clipped by a passing Camaro. He was forced into the center guardrail, flipped four times -- and walked away, unscathed. "Tough little cars," Mr. Benton says. Getting Serious

After the wreck, Mr. Benton salvaged the 80 cubic-inch engine, Yugo's largest ever, stuck it in a replacement Yugo he bought at a junkyard for $100 and really got serious about making a fast car.

Over the next five years, he ran about 400 races, generally competing in "bracket" divisions. Under that format, drivers submit the time they expect to run. Typically, Mr. Benton might submit a 14.91, while his competitor would post something like a 10.04. Then Mr. Benton would get his 4.87-second head start. The winner: whoever is closest to his predicted time -- without going under it.

Still, he feels the need for speed. This winter, Mr. Benton rebuilt the engine's short block, looking to shave more ticks off his time. And on May 15, he and two Yugo Underdog buddies -- Pete Mulhern, 57, and Dave Greason, 63 -- have gathered in Mr. Benton's driveway to finish up the engine so Mr. Benton can unleash it the following day at the Atco Raceway.

Mr. Benton still limps. Mr. Mulhern also moves slowly: He has had two heart attacks and suffers from emphysema. Mr. Greason, a diabetic, has had open-heart surgery and has a condition called essential tremor, which makes his head shake. He figures he doesn't have all that long to live. "It's winding down for me now," he says. "It's time to have some fun." Yugo Central

Behind the three, a dark garage has been turned into a Yugo parts center. Six engines lie on the floor. Exhaust systems rest against the wall. Nuts and bolts are stored in old Planters Cheese Balls cans, or are scattered on the concrete floor. The mess spills into the driveway, where six parked Yugos extend into a weed-caked front yard.

Mr. Benton climbs behind the wheel, and flips the ignition switch-piercing the quiet neighborhood with what sounds like a lawn mower on steroids. Mr. Mulhern, wearing a white fishing cap and reading glasses, tweaks the carburetor with a long, thin screwdriver.

Eventually, Mr. Benton declares the new engine ready for battle.

Early the next morning, Mr. Benton packs for the day: lunch, soft drinks, a plastic sandwich-bag filled with vitamins and various medicines. Mr. Mulhern arrives, and the two hitch the drag-Yugo to the back of Mr. Benton's everyday-Yugo. They drive to the track, arriving before most of the other racers, and start replacing the standard front tires of the dragster with racing ones.

Within minutes, a younger man, Kevin Thomas, bounds up to check out the car.

"I heard about you!" he says. "I heard about the Yugo!" Mr. Thomas, who drags a Subaru station wagon, tells Mr. Benton he has a turbo kit on order. "I want to become an Underdog too. I want to scare some people." Dropping Weight

Other racers and spectators wander by, some shaking their heads, some laughing. But the jokes don't last long in this crowd. Mostly, it's Mr. Benton's mechanical skills that impress his fellow racers -- and have helped him cut down the weight of the car to its current 1,340 pounds from about 2,000.

The morning goes well for Underdog Racing. On this day, Mr. Benton is racing only against cars his own size and speed, in the "Sportsman Import" division. In his second practice run, Mr. Benton sets a new personal record: 14.785 seconds.

He eventually loses in the semifinals to a Mazda RX-7, but he has done well enough for a swing by the awards stand after the race. He picks up a trophy, $85 in prize money (he has won money just three times before) and climbs back into the dragster. En route to his space in the pits, Mr. Benton drives by hundreds of fans and racers -- cracking open his driver's side door and thrusting the 18-inch gold trophy into the air. The crowd cheers.

Mr. Mulhern has been waiting patiently in his lawn chair, by now exhausted from an afternoon in the warm sun.

"We did it again," Mr. Benton says, showing him the cash.​
                          1983 GS 550 LD
                          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post

Was it yugo?
                            there was a vw van guy named Gunther hereabouts. People came great distances as he was an expert.
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I yearn for a Yugo. Something simple, reliable and cheap.
                              I reckon the Peak Yugo would be the ones with the Peugeot engines.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X