I'm all out of Suzukis for now but added a couple Honda dual sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm all out of Suzukis for now but added a couple Honda dual sports

I sold my Mr. Turbo and my '79 GS1000E and miss them but life goes on. I always have my eye out for something. 3 years ago I got my then 15-year-old a cheap XT350 Yamaha and started riding it around. I really enjoyed it, but sold it before he got his license. Times were tough and I made about $1200 on it, was a nice little bike.

So fast forward, my son is 18 and jonesing for a bike to plod up the mountain and do some 'adventuring'. He pointed to a CRF250L which is a mild-mannered dualie, nothing great, and has its limitations. Gets the job done tho. I found one with 1400 miles on it, a 2013 model for a price I couldn't refuse. It's barely broken in. I started riding that around and yeah, it is gutless but really sweet. It does fine on the trails and street. So then I'm thinking hmm, I want to ride out in the desert in the winter, mountains in summer with him. I have a few years left. He's passed his MC training and will get his license at the DMV, doing his written test next week. I'm confident of his skills, he's ridden extreme MTB for years and is very skilled and level-headed.

I settled on a dinosaur, a 2022 XR650L. I found one in Ventura, a 2.5-hour drive, and grabbed it over the weekend. It has 350 miles on it and is 100% stock, basically brand new. Being 'frugal' I got a great price on it. It has a lowering link but the bike is 37" seat height stock, which is pretty tall. I'm checking it out, at 6' 3" I can flat foot it, and hmm maybe keep it this way, seems fine.

There are two flaws that jump out - no cush drive so the clutch is snatchy on pavement. Jeez Honda, it's been 30 years. And it's carbureted, and of course, it's lean. I don't care, it is a blast and I'm gonna be riding the trails with my boy a lot soon.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 10-25-2023, 11:23 PM.
    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Nice. I hope you have some great times with your son.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Congrats on the new ride.
      Is that a bash guard for the rear disc? Can't imagine that would last too long.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        Congrats on the new ride.
        Is that a bash guard for the rear disc? Can't imagine that would last too long.
        Thanks. It's for rocks kicked up I think, not any major impacts for sure.
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
        X