No announcement yet.

Pretty nice barn find!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post 18 frontal pics you can see the crossover manifold pretty good.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The exhaust is insanely nice especially since bikes of that era seem to have come made of chrome plated rust.

The sleeves that cover the header pipes are so damned shiny.

I wish I could find a bike like that. It would be a healthy contrast to all the RARE!!!!!! bikes that douche bags seem to own and sell for insane prices.

Pretty pretty gold colour.

Comment

Those big slotted collars at the tops actually screw onto the crossover manifold with a spanner wrench to hold the headers to the front of the bike..basically its a big compression fitting nut
        Last edited by chuck hahn; 06-30-2012, 12:09 PM.
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          And on the head cracking issue..he last had it "legal" in 86 but he said he rode it from time to time even after that, so what do you think....recalls and head are probably already addresed???
          What I posted is the extent, pretty much, of my knowledge of that series, have no idea if the issue you mention had any recalls or service bulletins, could certainly be the case, that would be pretty cool if it's already been addressed in some helpful way or another. Hope you have a great time working with it.
          sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
          '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
          '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
          '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
          '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
          '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
          '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
          '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
          '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
          '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            Steve..shes gonna need the front master rebuilt, caliper seals and boots replaced, right mirror..or a full newer set, battery, foot brake lever removed and everything freed up better than it is, petcocks rebuilt or aftermarkets, basic carb parts like the orings and bowl gaskets..thats sort of what you normally would expect to need replaced.

I am still trying to frankentein a good motor out of two GL1100's.

I am about to give up and just save to buy a good used motor and do a swap. I promised my wife a road trip to Sedona, Arizona. It has been postponed

So .... if you come across one, please let me know. My big 4-0 is coming up and I anticipate I might have b-day cash to spend.

Comment

As the wife says, whenever yall post the great finds, "Why can't we find a barn that needs cleaning?"

Comment

I am soon to have one thats gonna need to be relieved of a few bikes!!!!

Comment

Cool looking old bike Chuck. It's a nice old survivor for sure. What does the market look like for those '750's?
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Indeed. A very nice piece of history. I recall reading about it a few years back. It appears to have been a real smooth (but sedate) ride. It is a good looking bike but had a couple of teething niggles which although sorted in the 74 model, killed sales (that and a lack of zip)
                    The bike was popular at first but soon reliability problems began to emerge and the problems lay with the Omni-Phase balancer: At high rpm the balance weights would whip oil in the sump into a froth, aerating the oil and starving the crank for lubrication which resulted in bearing failure.
                    In addition, the balance chain would stretch, resulting with the counterweights being out of phase and making the engine run rough. Although Yamaha quickly repaired the problems, including a deeper sump and an adjustable balance chain, sales fell and the TX750 became synonymous with poor design and reliability. The 1974 Model was extensively modified with a revised sump and does not suffer from reliability issues
                    Looks like yours is a 73 Model and it doesn't look like it has the deeper sump modification done. Might be worth doing a google search

Comment

Yamaha's fabulous 650cc XS-1 was actually their first four stroke, released in '69 or '70 (ish). It became the XS-650 and was very successful, as I'm sure you all know. The TX is a groovy bike, and not very common! It has some kind of internal balance shafts, that was a big deal with the bike when it was released. Yes it's had it's problems and didn't survive, but if you can keep the thing alive it's supposed to be a nice smooth machine to ride.

Thank you for getting a Bucket, Chucket. We knew you loved us.
                      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post

Thank you for getting a Bucket, Chucket. We knew you loved us.
                        Thanks from me too Chuck. MUCH better!!!!!
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Another thank you for going bucket.May not load as fast but the rest of us don't get the **** ImageShack brings with it.

Comment

Thanks guys for liking the ole gal..I originally thought that getting it running and then sell it but it kinda is growing on me a bit. The future isnt really decided on her as of this moment. Randy says he knows a guy thats told him he was "starting a vintage collection". Mike is his name. If he calls and offers me something good "as is" then I may just pass her along. Then again, if mi sell a bike I have fix itm up cash and room in the storage unit...thats a VERY strong possibility too.

Comment

Well, you've a fish on the hook for the Hondamatic...
                              But if it were me, I'd get it running and flip it.
                              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

James ( the guy that told me of this bike ) isnt into getting banother bike I dont think. He was just admiring it and remembering his from back in the day and a running road worthy example isnt exactly an every day sight .

Comment

Working...
                                X