No announcement yet.

New Winter Project Bike - Feedback wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure exactly about that bike myself. At that price, it's not a steal. Looks like a mix-up of parts, which may not matter depending on your plans for it. But it looks like we're headed down the same path.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=201619

I'm gonna do a really nice '70s weekend MXer on this thing. The kind of thing a guy would ride to work all week, then strip the lights on Friday night and go racing on Saturday. Powdercoating the frame, rims and hubs black, new SS spokes. Tapered neck bearings. Bronze swingarm bushings. Big knobbie tires. No lights.

Comment

I like your idea Ray. I did find your thread earlier. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

I did so more looking and now it's getting difficult. I ran across these two. Wish I could just buy all three. Help!!

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/3330501973.html

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/3402729180.html

The 1100 is a GS, not a GSX and not really what I was looking for but man, at that price it's hard not to give it some serious thought.

The only bad thing about the GT550 is they don't have a title. I see this all the time on bikes for sale. I have never attempted getting one before so I don't know if it's worth the hassle so that makes me Leary on that one. But boy, the price sure is right.

What you guys think?
      Last edited by Sci85; 12-13-2012, 11:23 PM.
      1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
      2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Don't bother with a bike with no title in MO. It's nearly impossible to register.

Comment

Keep the info comming as she progresses...I look each time i see a new post in your thread. Goona be an interesteing bike when you get her done.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Don't bother with a bike with no title in MO. It's nearly impossible to register.
            Have you ever given it a try? How bad is it?

I don't understand why there are so many bikes without titles. Does MO have a massive theft problem? How do people tag, register, get insurance, etc without a title?

Thanks,
            Sci85
            1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
            1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
            2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

I tried it years ago and got nowhere fast. A friend went through the entire process and it took months and he ended up standing in front of a judge telling his story. The judge had to decree him as the owner and order a title issued. He had Legal Services as a benefit at work, so it didn't cost him anything but time. I actually agree with the state on this one. It should be hard to register a vehicle with no title. IMO, the thing belongs to someone. A bank or estate, or it may be stolen, maybe years ago. I would be very upset to stumble on a bike that was stolen from me, and find that it belongs to someone else because he went to another state and got a title.

Comment

Working...
              X