1985 Yamaha FZ750 - rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

frame painted

Well,,,,,I decided to start off the year the right way.....working on my project...

so I prepped all the parts, brought them indoors, opened up the can of POR, got a brush, tarp, gloves, and started painting....

To be honest, I like this way of painting, way better than rattle can, and the crap in the air and so on, this POR stuff goes on nice, use a brush, take your time, brush out the high spots, watch for the drips, take your time, and in short order, your done.....

the parts look really good, I am impressed...the smell is not so bad, even if you want to do it in the house, as I did, I worked in the basement, turned on the exhaust fan in the bathroom (it's still on) and it is OK to be down there, I think by the time the paint dries the smell will diminish, and if not I will toss them into the garage....

So I took a few pictures, but with the spotty drop sheet it makes it look busy and hard to see, I will take some better pics, against a clean back ground, to really show off the parts, but for now it's as best as I could do...

Comment

Results are very good we'll done how long did it take

Comment

Thanks harley10.....

Just the painting, I think was about an hour for all the parts in the pictures, maybe a bit more, I wasn't really looking at the clock to be honest with ya....so I really am guessing and can't give you an exact time. I was more worried about the paint getting hard as it was in an open container, and that is not some one should do, I should have poured out what I was going to use and close up the rest, but I got lazy and I didn't have a jar, until later...LOL

Comment

Assembly_1

Well the paint is dry, and I started on the assembly, well it's just a dry run, nothing is really tightened down, I just wanted to see how things were going to look, so I put in the rubber grommets and pulled a few nuts, and added the parts to the frame....

Hey it's starting to look like a bike....

Only problem is is friggen cold, can't work in the garage, I didn't clean all the bits, and so I can't really start a proper assembly, and varso and stuff like it would stink up the house, so I have to be patient...

I will go and get my SS nuts and bolts and washers, hopefully tomorrow, at least get something going...have to get paint stripper for the tripple tree as well and get them cleaned up, I have new stem bearings but cleaning is first....the old bearings are already off...

So a few pictures, some better than the last set, no dirty tarp, and some of the assembly that has been done...

Comment

Looking good ,keep up the pics, I rode a FZ750 once and was impressed it didn't
            Feel like a 750 ,it was fun ,as I always rode bigger bikes, do you still have your GS brian

Comment

I used POR15 on a Camaro I restored a while back, that stuff is AWESOME! Especially works well on areas that have surface rust, I did my entire floorpans with it and when it was done, it looked like new and was hard as a rock. Supposed to last for YEARS also, your FZ is coming along nicely!
              Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
              87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
              99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
              15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Jeez it looks like a bike already. Good stuff. It really is too bad that its so cold or we could all get more things done. Seeing that frame, I feel like I need to do mine too but again too cold to pull the bike apart.

I can see when we ride this year mine is going to be the ugly duckling

Comment

Originally posted by harley10 View Post
                  Looking good ,keep up the pics, I rode a FZ750 once and was impressed it didn't
                  Feel like a 750 ,it was fun ,as I always rode bigger bikes, do you still have your GS brian
                  Your right on with the feeling of the FZ, I took out Spyug's last year, and boy does she like to wind out just over 5 grand, at that point, it's just hold on and enjoy the ride...

Yes I still have the GS, she is in slumber mode, battery on a tender, and a cover over her, waiting for a warm day, or the new season to begin...

Originally posted by 83GS1100E_Tornado View Post
                  I used POR15 on a Camaro I restored a while back, that stuff is AWESOME! Especially works well on areas that have surface rust, I did my entire floorpans with it and when it was done, it looked like new and was hard as a rock. Supposed to last for YEARS also, your FZ is coming along nicely!
                  I am finding the stuff to be really good as well, seems harder than the rattle can appliance epoxy I used on the GS last year, which is still holding up well, but I will see how this does after a season....

I can tell you one thing, don't get the stuff on your skin,,,,the $hit don't come off, you have to wear if off as they say, not a good look on my hands, especially working in an office environment....LOL

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                  Jeez it looks like a bike already. Good stuff. It really is too bad that its so cold or we could all get more things done. Seeing that frame, I feel like I need to do mine too but again too cold to pull the bike apart.

I can see when we ride this year mine is going to be the ugly duckling
                  It's getting there, bit by bit, but the cold is a stumping block for sure, can't clean parts in the garage, too cold, and can't do it in the house makes too much of a stink....

still a long way to go, there is the engine, and exhaust, rims, and so on, but it's getting there

Your's might be the ugly duckling, but at least you will be riding, and not wrenching, at least you better not be you missed out way too many days last year....

I was going to get the SS nuts and bolts today, but I have no car, everyone took one and went to work, I guess that is what happens when one has a day off, you sleep in a bit and all the cars are gone...

Ohhhh well

Comment

but I have no car, everyone took one
                    I'm in the same boat. It's the wife's B'day today and as both the cars are in her name they need new stickers. She got hers the other day but my car needs the emissions check and it won't pass now as I have a check engine light. I think it needs a new coil pack. The guy that did my engine work retired and everyone else I've contacted are too busy until next week so I'm busing it

I need to get one of those Ural rear drive sidecar units and a snowmobile suit Maybe I can get our buddy Mike to loan me one

Comment

I have 2 sleds sitting in the garage, want to use one.....LOL

man I should get rid of those things.....

Comment

man I should get rid of those things
                        Good day to take some pics and throw up an ad. Lots of winter left for someone to have fun. The bonus would be you could get some cash to insulate the garage and maybe have some leftover to put in the project.

Quit sitting around in your skivvies drinking beer .

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                          Quit sitting around in your skivvies drinking beer .
                          Bloody Hell, I thought I turned that web cam off.......

your right I should get rid of the sleds, but it's too cold now, and they are under covers, and need to get those off, move them, take pictures, put it all back, and with it being minus -16c it's just too cold to be doing anything...

and all that other work, well it will have to wait for the warmer days.....a full revamp of the garage will be in order....

Comment

Bent....

Well, not a good thing as I was figuring out the nuts and bolts I need to get, I decided to add a few parts to the bike, and what do I find, one of the engine arms/mounts sides, is bent, and I mean bent enough it don't go together the way it's supposed to.

It was not noticed during the take down, since the engine was still in and holding most of it was straight and tight, but now nothing but the arm is in, one can see the bend and how bad it actually is....

I don't really know, but I hope it's just the one arm, and not the frame, it shouldn't be, since the other side fits perfectly.....

I called up my good friend Spyug, to see if he has a spare "arm" that I can get to replace my bent one, and to also make sure it's just this arm that is the culprit, if his fits into place with no issues, all is great and I can move on, and be somewhat confident the frame itself is not bent as well

I should not have gotten rid of my spare parts bike, I really could have used the part now, but at least Spyug can come through for me, and thankfully he has a few spare parts as well, how lucky can I get.....

Well a few pictures of the mess I am with....

Comment

not bent

Well good news....

Took a drive over to my good buddy Spyug's place and picked up the extra arm he had from his spare bike, hopeful that it would be just a perfect fit and bike building could continue....

So after a good glass of wine, some fine Honey flavored Scotch, it was to just to try it, not bad, but better suited for the ladies...and after I dropped of my tins for plastic repair (Spyug can do amazing work with lego and acetone...) some good conversation, I put the arm in the back of the SUV and went home....

I was no sooner in the door, with arm in hand, I ran down the stairs to where the bike frame is, and just had to try and see if the new arm would fit.....

Well there was no problem like OJ had where the glove didn't fit, this arm fit the spot like a glove, as though it was there all it's life....

With the perfect fitament, I am confident that my frame is not bent, it was just the arm, and I will continue now with the rest of the build.....

I just hope I don't run into anymore scares like this one....

ohhhh and a few pictures of the arm in place...tomorrow I will hit it with the wire wheel, and give her a coat of paint, should match up just nicely with the rest of the frame once that is done...

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post

So after a good glass of wine, some fine Honey flavored Scotch, it was to just to try it, not bad, but better suited for the ladies...
                                Which Scotch?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                                X