No announcement yet.

1985 Yamaha FZ750 - rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son worked in the insurance industry for a few years and I have friends that still do. The word i keep getting is that the insurers want out of providing coverage as the risk to reward ratio is way out of line. They feel they are losing too much on payouts against a fairly small revenue stream. The government has mandated that they have to provide it but they ain't happy about it.

A few years back, they got the bright idea of dissallowing modifications, originally performance only but they've been stretching that and now some insurers will not allow even a change of muffler as they term it a performance modification. That's pushing it but its often reason enough for the insured to say screw it and leave. That is what they want.

It seems absurd but
    What next I put on my own brake pads so insurance declined
    that is exactly what can happen. If you check with the insurer (not the agent) the insurance company, in the fine print, can deem work performed by non licenced individuals to void their coverage. One of my lawyer clients ( a rider himself) is defending someone involved in an accident because the insurer voided his coverage since he had himself had done a brake job or changed a brake master cyclinder or some such just before the accident. He may or may not have done things right but I believe he was or is a diesel mechanic.....but not a bike mechanic.

I cringe everytime I read of bikes having had a 7-11 swap for sale. They are definitely uninsurable and a sure way to bugger up you life if you cause an accident on one. Ask the poor guy in London , Ont a few years back. an accident happened, his isurer voided coverage and he was sued for millions. Ruined his life.

Unfortunately in this day and age here, the insurers have control and you really have to be careful in dealing with them because when it comes to payout time you have to know they are going to try and wiggle out of providing coverage.

Sad days friends.
    Spy
    Last edited by Guest; 01-21-2013, 06:53 PM.

Comment

I like Saskatchewans way of doing insurance even more after reading about your issues.
      At no point in the life of a motorcycle does it ever have to pass a safety or be inspected to be registered or insured, even if it was purchased out of province or country.
      No title, no problem! A poorly written bill of sale on a bar napkin will get your new bike or car registered and insured.
      Any bike over 25 years old is an antique and costs $10 a month to insure!
      And I did all that without even having a license!

Comment

I'm liking the sound of Sask's way of doing insurance and auto rules. I'd move if it wasn't so bloody cold this time of year........brrrrrrrr!

Thanks for the tease!

Spy.

Comment

Ok back to the bikes whats the plan on these??

Comment

Originally as purchased the blue bike was to be a donor to the red white bike and still will be sort of, but will try to not take too much off of it.

the red/withe bike is to be brought back to it's original state or as close to it as I can

the blue bike will get a quick fix er up and get er on the road, will not be a full restore but enough to make her pretty for the road for the upcoming season...that is if we don't find any engine issues and transmission issues, if those are found the blue bike will be parted out completely....

Dat's the plan.....

Comment

Well, nice to know insurance companies in Ontario are just as weasely as in the U.S. Thankfully my insurance agent is a good family friend and would fight for us tooth and nail if they ever tried to wriggle out of a legitimate claim.

Anywho, I'll watching this thread to see how the refurbishment progresses.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                Originally as purchased the blue bike was to be a donor to the red white bike and still will be sort of, but will try to not take too much off of it.

the red/withe bike is to be brought back to it's original state or as close to it as I can

the blue bike will get a quick fix er up and get er on the road, will not be a full restore but enough to make her pretty for the road for the upcoming season...that is if we don't find any engine issues and transmission issues, if those are found the blue bike will be parted out completely....

Dat's the plan.....

Awesome, I have been on the hunt for one of these for awhile, looking forward to the build.

Comment

Not on here for 2 days and look what you guys doBeen off dealing with my own "other" bike.You surly have looked into the FZ forum.Found a good one for the KDX.Will be fun watching and good luck.

Comment

Insurance has been taken care of, the bikes can be insured with no issues, I think I made Spyug's day when he heard the good news....

Now we can carry on and one less thing to worry about....

SVSooke - been looking for a Yamaha forum but have not found anything of any value so far and nothing even close to what we have here, I think I would rather ask my questions here and I will probably get a faster and better answer....

Well it's bitter cold out -12.8 C, not going to be doing anything out there with the bikes but look at them through the window.....hopefully it will warm up soon...

Comment

Oh and he has a line on another one just to make life more complicated. Maybe we'll do a tripple play. Now wouldn't that be a thread and half

Strap yourselves in, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Cheers all,
                      S. ( my hands are sore from all the typing I've been doing the last few days.)

Comment

OK gave that a try,pretty disappointing.There's a good one for the XJ's.Not as good as here but hey where is?Actually the"other bikes" forum on that site inspired me to ask for this one.

Comment

Try this one...

Comment

Thanks, was there already....

Comment

Any more updates?

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                                Any more updates?
                                Sad to say, but nothing has been done at all......

The bikes are still outside in the backyard, mind you covered with a tarp to keep the snow off of them.

The reason for the lack of progress is not because of my unwillingness to do anything, but...

we moved to a new house, garage is not insulated, even though I did put a new insulated door there is no insulation on the walls, so it's really cold, have not had a chance to move the sleds out of there, they are supposed to go to a friends shop for storage, but this has not yet happened.

With my bike in there, the 2 sleds, and the Harley (that needs to be spit polished) there is no room....

I should have the sleds out in 2 weeks, by then the weather will start to get better, the Harley will get done, and then I will get into the rebuild of the new bikes....

I have not even started getting parts as I don't know what I need, besides a battery, new tires....

Looking for side fairings, and other parts, solo seat, etc but having a hard time finding these items....

Soon I hope to get started.....so stay tuned....

Comment

Working...
                                X