No announcement yet.

1985 Yamaha FZ750 - rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to chime in with a bit more info. As a co-conspirator in this project I was originally going to take the blue bike of GKs hands and refurb it. That has changed somewhat as a month or so back I found an FZ in running condition that I have arranged to swap my 550 & 550 parts bike for. The bike is 450 km away and we are just waiting on the weather to break so we can do a road trip down for the swap. GK, myself and my buddy George are going to make a day of it.

It should be an interesting experience as the FZ owner Rob has obtained an additional parts bike which he has offered to throw in. GK and I know of that bike as he found it on the local buy/sell and was negotiating with the guy to buy it. It has good bodywork including a rare single seat which GK wants. I don't have the space for another bike and the wife has made it clear that I'm only allowed one bike at a time but I will take as much of it as I can. Rob has already suggested that I at least take the extra engine along with the body work and that's not a bad idea.

So between us we will now have 3.5 bikes. The one I'm getting will be cleaned up and ridden this season and I will help GK with his resto (s). I personally think restoring his second bike and selling it (the blue one) will be the easier way to recoup funds. Less work than parting it out IMHO. I'm pretty certain he will be keeping the white one to add to his stable. I suggested, at one point, that he might want to consider selling his GS and sleds to make space and fund this new project. I discontinued that argument when he switched the topic to guns

We are both eager to get started with these bikes. With the weather, I anticipate we are still a couple of weeks away from doing anything concrete. I am anxious to get on the road trip to round up my bike and whatever parts we can snag. I had a little teaser of things to come on Sunday as I was able to put in several hours of getting my bike ready and running again in the sunny and relatively warm garage. It was a little bit of balm for my tortured soul indeed.

Roll on spring and stay tuned.
    Spyug
    Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2013, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Take Your Time...

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
      Sad to say, but nothing has been done at all......

The bikes are still outside in the backyard, mind you covered with a tarp to keep the snow off of them.

The reason for the lack of progress is not because of my unwillingness to do anything, but...

we moved to a new house, garage is not insulated, even though I did put a new insulated door there is no insulation on the walls, so it's really cold, have not had a chance to move the sleds out of there, they are supposed to go to a friends shop for storage, but this has not yet happened.

With my bike in there, the 2 sleds, and the Harley (that needs to be spit polished) there is no room....

I should have the sleds out in 2 weeks, by then the weather will start to get better, the Harley will get done, and then I will get into the rebuild of the new bikes....

I have not even started getting parts as I don't know what I need, besides a battery, new tires....

Looking for side fairings, and other parts, solo seat, etc but having a hard time finding these items....

Soon I hope to get started.....so stay tuned....

It's cool...you don't gotta explain anything to us...unless you feel the need; which maybe you do. In any case, the reason I say that is because I just picked up a identical second bike and will do a breakdown but ay my own pace.

I've already learned that rushing this is not a good idea...I tried to put the correct seat on my bike and discovered I need to re-rust it because the dust got all over my secondary airbox!

Anyway, good luck and take your time.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
        It's cool...you don't gotta explain anything to us...unless you feel the need; which maybe you do. In any case, the reason I say that is because I just picked up a identical second bike and will do a breakdown but ay my own pace.

I've already learned that rushing this is not a good idea...I tried to put the correct seat on my bike and discovered I need to re-rust it because the dust got all over my secondary airbox!

Anyway, good luck and take your time.

Ed
        I don't feel the need, but

We are like family here, so letting everyone know what is going on is not a big deal, it keeps us closer together and new members can see that things don't always go as planned....there are bumps in the road...LOL

Hey I spent 6 months on my last rebuild, and that was no rush, it even went about a month or so more than I planned, but I did take my time and in the end I have a nice GS 750E....

I will take your advice and take my time, there is no rush in trying to do a good job....

I will probably have to start a Part 2 rebuild thread, once I do get going, this one has more of everything in it but an actual rebuild.....

Cheers

Comment

As GK says, we all find these projects interesting and it is a way of getting people interested in doing things themselves and a form of instruction for new folks coming aboard.

I also think its important to discuss the issues we have, our solutions and also the mistakes we make. I personally have no problem pointing out the bonehead things I've done in my bike career. Again I think its helpful for new folks and I think it helps illustrate that we older hands are not infallible and even with over 45 years of varied wrenching, you will never know it all.

As GK says we are a family here and family helps each other.

Its also interesting I think to see the different approaches we all take to projects. GK is a perfectionist and it gives him pleasure to make something as pristine as he can get it. You've seen his bike, you should see his new house Myself on the other hand, I just like things to be clean, tidy and safe so my emphasis is on first making sure everything works, then making it presentable then using it for its intended purpose, getting it a little dirty again.

We each really enjoy it but to differing degrees and I think that shows there is room for all kinds of thoughts and opinions and we welcome them all.

Sit back and enjoy, it should all start in a week or two.

Spyug

Comment

ahhhhh the house....

well it's getting there....slowly but surely....needs to be painted, needs the back splash to be installed, led lighting under the cabinets, I still have to hookup the faucet, the sink, the water supply to the faucet, the dishwasher and the fridge....

But I have painted the rest of the house, top to bottom, bathrooms are all renovated, garage door is new (this I didn't do) just a few little things to button up and it will be time to move to the outside.....

BEFORE

AFTER

Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2013, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Replies

I don't feel the need, but

We are like family here, so letting everyone know what is going on is not a big deal, it keeps us closer together and new members can see that things don't always go as planned....there are bumps in the road...LOL

Hey I spent 6 months on my last rebuild, and that was no rush, it even went about a month or so more than I planned, but I did take my time and in the end I have a nice GS 750E....

I will take your advice and take my time, there is no rush in trying to do a good job....

I will probably have to start a Part 2 rebuild thread, once I do get going, this one has more of everything in it but an actual rebuild.....

Cheers
              I'm cool with you sharing your plans/work-stoppage...I was looking at it from another point of view but you're right...this is like a family in here--EVERYONE has their own quirks just like REAL families.

In the past couple of weeks I have noticed "it" TREMENDOUSLY on the OT Board. I would rather read about something Motorcycle related but some of the Titles can be interesting.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to take my own advice and try not to rush anything; it will be a work in progress.

EDIT: Nice job on the kitchen!

Originally posted by spyug View Post
              As GK says, we all find these projects interesting and it is a way of getting people interested in doing things themselves and a form of instruction for new folks coming aboard.

I also think its important to discuss the issues we have, our solutions and also the mistakes we make. I personally have no problem pointing out the bonehead things I've done in my bike career. Again I think its helpful for new folks and I think it helps illustrate that we older hands are not infallible and even with over 45 years of varied wrenching, you will never know it all.

As GK says we are a family here and family helps each other.

Its also interesting I think to see the different approaches we all take to projects. GK is a perfectionist and it gives him pleasure to make something as pristine as he can get it. You've seen his bike, you should see his new house Myself on the other hand, I just like things to be clean, tidy and safe so my emphasis is on first making sure everything works, then making it presentable then using it for its intended purpose, getting it a little dirty again.

We each really enjoy it but to differing degrees and I think that shows there is room for all kinds of thoughts and opinions and we welcome them all.

Sit back and enjoy, it should all start in a week or two.

Spyug
              Definitely agree with you in this regard.

I've enjoyed my time here and learned quite a bit in just over 3 months. The learning will never stop and I'm cool with that too.

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Nice kitchen and project! Don't know how I missed this thread. Can't wait to see the final product.

Comment

ahhhhh the house....

well it's getting there....slowly but surely....needs to be painted, needs the back splash to be installed, led lighting under the cabinets, I still have to hookup the faucet, the sink, the water supply to the faucet, the dishwasher and the fridge....

But I have painted the rest of the house, top to bottom, bathrooms are all renovated, garage door is new (this I didn't do) just a few little things to button up and it will be time to move to the outside.....

BEFORE

AFTER

Very nice, that backsplash will look fantastic

Comment

Thanks.....

And here is the finished product

crappy lighting and I should wait for a day shot, but I couldn't resist.....

next up, the LED under counter lighting

we even had the fireplace, refinished, this I did not do way to much on my plate...

Before

and after

And I promise, no more pictures of the house reno.....

I will get back to the bike rebuild,,,,the nice weather is here and I can get back to some real work.....

Comment

Dang GK. You are a reno machine! Looks fabulous btw like everything you do.
                      1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                      2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Sweet work! Thanks for posting pictures of your home.

Ed
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
                          Dang GK. You are a reno machine! Looks fabulous btw like everything you do.
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                          Sweet work! Thanks for posting pictures of your home.

Ed
                          Thanks guys.....

But just to be clear and honest, I don't do all the work, I do have contractors to do some of the stuff, me and the wife designed the kitchen, but a kitchen place built the cabinets and installed, I did all the demo work before hand, the granite was done by a granite company, but I did do the back splash, I did put in place the appliances, and I did 90% of the plumbing, however I did do all the painting of the entire house, walls, trim, etc....all new light fixtures, and so on....

some things it just don't pay for me to do, I either have never done it, or don't have the tools for it, so it will get subbed out, but I will do as much as I can when I can....

Maybe I should do a rebuild/project/reno post,,,,,,,hmmmmm that might be an idea....

Comment

So...is this where the FZ build will now take place?

Comment

YES........

lol

Comment

And I have started a blog on this build as well......

not that it really matter, but why the heck not....

Comment

Working...
                                X