No announcement yet.

1985 Yamaha FZ750 - rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need some artsy fartsy type of person, one who can photoshop as well, and see how it would turn out....

I will be giving it some thought, and this winter she will get her makeover, for now the PlastiDip is doing it's job, and from 10 feet away the bike looks awesome....LOL

I was thinking of accents here and there, and other ideas, even doing the Euro color theme and all the right decals and all, just have not decided......

For now, it's way too much fun to ride and enjoy......

I might take a few more glamor shots as she sits, once I have the solo seat cover on, and that will be it, well until the final paint is laid down....I will talk to the guy that painted my GS, see what ideas he has......might give him something to do over the winter.....

Thanks psyguy for the compliment......

Cheers

Comment

I like it as it sits, been watching for one of these local as a cheap basket case but hard to find.

Comment

some tinkering and some riding, on a couple of old FZ's.....

Comment

Painting....

Well with all the painting threads going on, I decided to give my bike a new coat of paint as well....I sanded and prepped as best as I was going to get, and hit the parts with some primer, and now they sit and wait until I get the paint, which I have on order should be ready for Monday, it's in a rattle can, I don't have the equipment to spray with a gun, nor did I want to set up all that, this is not the same off the shelf rattle can paint say in Canadian Tire, it's Dupont paint and mixed to the color code you want and dumped into a can under pressure, and the same place has the 2K clear as well, so a can of that is in the basket.....so I will try this on my own and see what happens, I am not after perfection, that I could have paid for, but a descent job will suffice, and I will be happy, it will be better than the Plastidip it had on for last season that is for sure....

I am sure Trevors dad is shaking his head, but hopefully it won't come out too bad and I can get at least one thumb up from the master....

How bad can it be....if I don't make any runs, and get some even coverage, it shouldn't be too bad, plus I have some decals, that should cover up any issues....LOL

Hey not even the body work is perfect, but neither is life, so it is what it is, I think it will come out just fine

So a few pictures of the parts in primer.....

Stay tuned for the rest of the show....

Cheers

Comment

Hey it is looking great and I'm sure the colour will come out aces too. Just don't rush and watch that distance of application.
            Sorry I couldn't make it down but I'm building up brownie points down here building new stairs for the deck. Wife says this time she will be sure to fall off and land on the other shoulder

Now speak about a racket for lumber. Precut risers for the stairs are great but can you get lumber to make 9" treads or 7.5" riser boards......no you can't. So you need to buy more than you need of each and piece them in. What a rip.

Oh well I could be firkin around with flippin Keihin carbs I suppose maybe next week.

Keep up the great work. Hope the decals come soon.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
              Hey it is looking great and I'm sure the colour will come out aces too. Just don't rush and watch that distance of application.
              Sorry I couldn't make it down but I'm building up brownie points down here building new stairs for the deck. Wife says this time she will be sure to fall off and land on the other shoulder

Now speak about a racket for lumber. Precut risers for the stairs are great but can you get lumber to make 9" treads or 7.5" riser boards......no you can't. So you need to buy more than you need of each and piece them in. What a rip.

Oh well I could be firkin around with flippin Keihin carbs I suppose maybe next week.

Keep up the great work. Hope the decals come soon.
              Well I am going to try, but you know if it turns out like crap, I am laying all blame on you..... :-)

just make your own stringers, get board long enough and cut what you need, it's the only way to do it, if the pre cut stuff don't work out for your span.....

now back to the painting, I don't think 1 can will do all those parts, so I am going to start with the tank, and continue from there, I really think I will need a 2nd can of color and a 2nd can of clear, and if so it would have been better to give it to buddy to paint for me instead of me farting around with this.....but I am committed now, so I have to keep going

How bad can it be...

here is a guy who just did his own as well....

bloody nice work....for sure

Comment

Well as I keep saying.......you can do it Forrest!!!! run Forrest run !!!!!!!!!

As I also keep saying, after good surface prep ( i.e. no surface contaminants wear the gloves to make sure no oil from the skin gets on), holding the can at the right distance to have the paint look wet on the surface but doesn't run is truly the secret.

What I do practice first with a can of cheap stuff on some cardboard. I find something around 8 or 9 " from the surface works best.

I'm sure you are going to do fine with it and I can't wait to see.

Comment

Well, I finally got the paint, the time, the booth, and the guts to try this out....

It's not the best, it's not the worse, but with silver you can really see how much good prep is key, the silver really brings out the imperfections...

so we did a first coat, and since it's not the best prep work, I will let it dry, then do a bit more finessing and patching and sanding, then shoot everything once more, and put on the 2k clear....

overall it's not bad, decals will hide some of the imperfections, then again it's a 30 year old bike, and it really does not have to be perfect, the mistakes give it character, and that's what I am sticking with....

so as always a few pictures

Comment

Wicked Looks really nice and as they say, "good enough for government work" ha,ha. Well it is not show quality but it is a everyday work bike not a trailer queen so I wouldn't sweat a few less than perfect areas.

Damn good for a first effort my friend. It will look sweet with the decals on and as you said before, they will hide some of the imperfections.

I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Well done. You deserve some time on the beach. Enjoy.

Comment

Thanks buddy....

just wait a bit until we do a second coat, will look even better, some more filling and it will be mint....

she is is a daily ride so she don't need to be perfect, just descent and she will be better than the plastidip...

ohhh and and what you see now, don't even have the clear, so that will help as well...

unfortunately the the finish will take a bit now, heading to the beach on the weekend back Wednesday so it will be after that when I finish this up....

Comment

Well it's done, clear is on and the parts are drying, ready to pick up tomorrow, and let them sit for a bit to fully dry and cure, they can go back on and then decals and back to riding

a few pictures of tonight's work

Comment

Now that is what I am talking about. Stellar job for a first effort They are going to look amazing with the decals on.

You are going to have such a shine from the sunlight hitting that you will need to get a darker visor. Hell, maybe need to wear your shades and a dark visor.

I can't wait to see it in the flesh.

I think you just found your next part time gig I'll bring the CB tins down for you to clear

I knew you could do it. Kudos to you bud!

Comment

Thanks buddy,,,,,

I was skeptical,, but it didn't turn out too bad, a few imperfections but that is due to lack of prep work, could have spent more time getting every nick and dent and scratch, but this is not a show bike, this is a go down the road fast bike,,,,,,lol

decals will go on once I return from my trip, this will give everything enough time to dry fully

ohh and I have the dark visor on hand...

cheers

Comment

sneak peek....

Comment

With a bit of colour that's looking much better, great job. Looks very classy with the silver, kind of a gentlemanly hotrod. I have to say my FZ was by far the funnest bike I've owned. Man that thing took a beating. It ended up being white with a big Yamaha decal on the tank from the FZ1000 belly pan. Sort of like on your GS. I don't think it would look right on yours for some reason though. Plans for any really subtle graphics? This was taken in Colorado National Park probably late '80s and yes that's the new to me EFE in the background. Cold day, warming my hands. Note the RZ350 drilled disks up front vs the stock laminated ones that seemed to be prone to warping when overheated.

'84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
                                X