Like a hole in the head...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pete View Post
    Great stuff Larry, sure made a difference!

I wonder if it would be worthwhile sanding/grinding it back a bit further, welding it up, and getting it re-chromed?
    That's a good question, Pete. I was wondering the same thing. The front half of that weld is the factory weld, which is actually pretty ugly. I managed to smooth it out a bit with the Dremel and blend it into the cobby PO (not the guy I bought it from) patch/weld. The bad part is it's slowly rusting through on the bottom. It doesn't so much have holes (yet) through it, the chrome is just peeling off, so the question is, as you mentioned, can that be ground off, and re-chromed? Everyone I've posed the question to says the same thing, chromers don't like to do any kind of used exhaust parts because it "pollutes" the dipping chemicals. I was hoping they could just dip the collector in right to the seam and not do the pipes which are pristine. And, how much would they charge to do it if they would? Might be cheaper in the long run to replace it. I'm going to investigate further in the coming months. If not, I may have to bite the bullet and save up for the replacement header system from David Silver..$400.. I so love the look of the stock pipes and a Mac 4 into 1 system wouldn't even be considered, however, I've seen some Yosh replica pipes for a 400F which are very cool for about the same price as the repro. My last 400F had a beautiful black Kerker on it. It sounded great and produced a little more power, but those are almost unobtainable, too. The exhaust is the biggest unknown at this point.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

I get ya' Larry... if a chromer was able to do that then it would be worth while giving it a go for sure.

Otherwise, Yoshi systems are always nice
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Stashed the Corvette into winter storage to make room to work on the 400F. Set it up on an old piece of carpet. Nuts, bolts, washers and things don't seem to bounce or roll away with carpet.

Thought I'd let the GS keep it company this winter.

Came apart pretty easily over the course of a few hours. To take the air filter/battery box out I found that I had to disconnect all the wiring and take it out the back of the frame, which required removing the rear wheel and the exhaust first. Hope I remember to reverse that sequence when it comes time to re-assemble it..

A little grungy and a little rust in spots. I'll repaint as much of the frame as necessary after the swing arm comes out.

Parts are starting to pile up

Not bad for a couple of hours

First thing to do probably is to get the frame and engine cleaned up and repainted to get it back to a roller. Then start on the body parts. I think I'm going to go ahead with the Ducati tail and a plastic CB450T Hawk front fender I picked up on eBay. Overall this bike is in great shape. Shouldn't take more then a few months to do it stem to stern.
        Last edited by nvr2old; 11-17-2013, 10:33 PM.
        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Plastic welding is pretty easy, and flexible.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Love the idea of an old desk in the garage!! Fantastic option, especially if you are a one bike at a time guy, like myself.

Rebuild the parts comfortably, while sitting down and drawers for the parts!

I still can't get over the transformation of that stator cover emblem.........extraordinary work Larry!

Comment

Thanks, man. I got that old desk 20 years ago for nothing, just had to haul it away, needless to say it took six men and a small boy to move it. I swear that thing must weigh 300lbs. It does have some nice storage space in it, though. The drawers are deep and as long as the top is wide. They just don't make things like that anymore. I might have to attach a vice and a grinder on either end of it from Harbor Freight. I'm gonna need em both. Sure would like to have a bike lift. Crawling around on the ground gets old....maybe someday.
              1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Next time, start the cuts with a dremel first. The blade wont go flying around once its in the dremel slot.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                  Thanks, man. I got that old desk 20 years ago for nothing, just had to haul it away, needless to say it took six men and a small boy to move it. I swear that thing must weigh 300lbs. It does have some nice storage space in it, though. The drawers are deep and as long as the top is wide. They just don't make things like that anymore. I might have to attach a vice and a grinder on either end of it from Harbor Freight. I'm gonna need em both. Sure would like to have a bike lift. Crawling around on the ground gets old....maybe someday.
                  I have been watching my local CL for a lift........I imagine it will be money well spent.

Now I am going to add " old steel desk" to my CL search.

Comment

An old steel desk and a stout board for a ramp is almost as good as a lift, at least for long term projects that don't need to go up and down all the time. You will need a friend or two to help get it up the ramp. Perfect height and there is a lot of space on top. And you can put the tools you are using at the time in the drawers.

It's all good.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hmmm..never thought about that, you might have something there..
                      1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Originally posted by gsmvoipOt

Wow, that's about the most obvious bot attack I have ever seen I think
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                          Wow, that's about the most obvious bot attack I have ever seen I think
                          I agree, how do I delete that post..?
                          1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Not much to report other then just getting the rest of the bike disassembled about as far as I need. Got the swing arm, shocks, carbs, air box and the wiring harness removed after work tonight.

Everything has come right off, no fuss at all. The airbox was a breeze compared to the one's on our GS's.. Didn't bust one knuckle or utter one single swear word..

I'm such a supporter of powder coating frames since doing the S. Man, that thing turned out nice. All you do is drop them off and when you pick them up..done. I swore I would never sand and prep another one for painting. This frame is so nice under that thin layer of dirt, though. I'm pretty sure I can just clean it, scotch brite 80% of it and sand a few spots that will need some spot priming. Then just throw on a couple of coats of black single stage urethane.

I'm gonna prep and paint the engine right in the frame, too. Remove the oil filter, the clutch cable, (forgot to pull that off..) mask around it and shoot it silver. Probably paint the engine first. As one big lump it'll be easier to mask then the frame.

I'm really enjoying this. It's been a long time since I did a bike for myself, and this is the first one that I'm doing completely solo. I don't have my best friend and certified Honda Tech at my beckon call here in Sandpoint. He was the one responsible for getting my GS running so well, too. It's fun remembering procedures and everything he's taught me over these many years and applying it to this 400F.
                            Last edited by nvr2old; 11-20-2013, 02:00 AM.
                            1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post

I'm gonna prep and paint the engine right in the frame, too. Remove the oil filter, the clutch cable, (forgot to pull that off..) mask around it and shoot it silver. Probably paint the engine first. As one big lump it'll be easier to mask then the frame.
                              At this point it's about three or four bolts to remove the engine, why do all that masking?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                                At this point it's about three or four bolts to remove the engine, why do all that masking?
                                I was thinking the same thing.It's just easier IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X