No announcement yet.

Any Harley's here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not trying to be a dick here, Jake, but I noticed your 1/4 time with your Harley is about what a stock GS/KZ/XJ/CB 900/1000 got back in the late seventies. It is an impressive time for a H-D that's still street legal, but how much money did it cost to get there?

I'm not saying that H-D bikes don't do what a bike needs to do for a lot of riders (obviously, or they wouldn't sell so many), but what's the point of hot rodding one in order to make it about as quick as a 35 year old UJM?
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

My girl had a meeting up in Napa today, so I drove her up there and took the dog on an adventure. Leaving her meeting, I stopped in a Harley dealership so the dog could ... stretch her legs.

I was looking around under a tent full of seemingly identical bikes, and some 'roided-out dude came over to me with a Harley "work shirt" and pants (both immaculate).

"Do you have any questions about the bikes?"

"No, my girl just has a meeting in town and I'm killing time."

"Well, that's usually how it starts."

"No, I've been riding for years."

"I mean, that's how you start riding Harley Davidsons."

Right then, I noticed my dog had found a good "spot."

"Thanks, I ride old Japanese bikes," and off I went.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
        Not trying to be a dick here, Jake, but I noticed your 1/4 time with your Harley is about what a stock GS/KZ/XJ/CB 900/1000 got back in the late seventies. It is an impressive time for a H-D that's still street legal, but how much money did it cost to get there?

I'm not saying that H-D bikes don't do what a bike needs to do for a lot of riders (obviously, or they wouldn't sell so many), but what's the point of hot rodding one in order to make it about as quick as a 35 year old UJM?
        Not a problem Griff, Yeap Harley's are slow but I like riding mine with forward controls, it's a different feeling plus I like to tinker on them too. The good thing is I can go banging through all 5 gears and not get thrown in jail compared to a GS, Busa or ZX14

Mid 13's would be the norm for todays stock Sportster's, ported heads, exhaust and cams can get you mid 11's if your not a heavy guy like me for less than 2 grand.

That's why I take both to the track at the same time, I can always say I have one of the fastest and one of the slowest bikes there. A little weird......... right ??

I got a 90" piston/jug kit that will go on one of these days, shooting for 100 hp and 100 ft-lbs of torque. I'd like to have a Big Twin Killer that does 100 mph in the 1/8.
        Last edited by RacingJake; 10-16-2013, 08:18 PM.
        1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
        1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
        1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
        1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
        01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
          My girl had a meeting up in Napa today, so I drove her up there and took the dog on an adventure. Leaving her meeting, I stopped in a Harley dealership so the dog could ... stretch her legs.

I was looking around under a tent full of seemingly identical bikes, and some 'roided-out dude came over to me with a Harley "work shirt" and pants (both immaculate).

"Do you have any questions about the bikes?"

"No, my girl just has a meeting in town and I'm killing time."

"Well, that's usually how it starts."

"No, I've been riding for years."

"I mean, that's how you start riding Harley Davidsons."

Right then, I noticed my dog had found a good "spot."

"Thanks, I ride old Japanese bikes," and off I went.
          don't get it?
          GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
            don't get it?
            I think his dog pi$$ed on a Harley
            1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
            1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
            1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
            1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
            01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Actually, she took a dump on their lawn. But as soon as I mentioned I rode Japanese bikes, the guy walked away from me so I got in my car and left.

Comment

Originally posted by RacingJake View Post
                Not a problem Griff, Yeap Harley's are slow but I like riding mine with forward controls, it's a different feeling plus I like to tinker on them too. The good thing is I can go banging through all 5 gears and not get thrown in jail compared to a GS, Busa or ZX14

Mid 13's would be the norm for todays stock Sportster's, ported heads, exhaust and cams can get you mid 11's if your not a heavy guy like me for less than 2 grand.

That's why I take both to the track at the same time, I can always say I have one of the fastest and one of the slowest bikes there. A little weird......... right ??

I got a 90" piston/jug kit that will go on one of these days, shooting for 100 hp and 100 ft-lbs of torque. I'd like to have a Big Twin Killer that does 100 mph in the 1/8.
                I like what you did with that Sportster! Not like I was in it for a long time but in my wrenching career I never saw anyone get that extreme with a Harley! Lots of the typical loud pipe & carb crowd. Good on you for building it!

Comment

I could see a hot rod Sportster. The Storz Performance Tracker stuff is very cool looking, and 100 hp shouldn't be that hard to get. I know that Joe Minton was getting that from streetable project bikes in the 80s. I thought about doing it back then. I doubt that I will ever do it, but it would be fun to do.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                    Uh, classic. Mr. Sarcasm himself can't recognize sarcasm?
                    I love my Harley. If I didn't I could sell it and buy 10 GS's.
                    But I have to have at least one dependable bike in my garage.
                    LOL! I was following along the whole time Octain! You guys really give it to each other huh? As you probably know some of the Harley sites have no spice what so ever, I like it over here.

To be honest I have never ridden anything but a Harley for an extended period of time. Had an SX-350 in my youth , not a real Harley I know, my shovel and the Heritage. Am looking forward to getting this GS1000 on the road because the first ride is going to be mine. Can't wait to see what all the fuss is about with these GS's
                    Last edited by Guest; 10-16-2013, 10:00 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by Scout View Post
                      LOL! I was falling along the whole time Octain! You guys really give it to each other huh? As you probably know some of the Harley sites have no spice what so ever, I like it over here.

To be honest I have never ridden anything but a Harley for an extended period of time. Had an SX-350 in my youth , not a real Harley I know, my shovel and the Heritage. Am looking forward to getting this GS1000 on the road because the first ride is going to be mine. Can't wait to see what all the fuss is about with these GS's

Search the word "Harley" if you wanna see some real laughs. These guys are mean! Hard pressed to find this kinda razzing on a Harley forum, that's for sure.
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                      .................________-|___\____
                      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Scout View Post
                        LOL! I was falling along the whole time Octain! You guys really give it to each other huh? As you probably know some of the Harley sites have no spice what so ever, I like it over here.

You'd better change into some brown underwear before you take out the GS if you have only ridden hogs before

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                          I could see a hot rod Sportster. The Storz Performance Tracker stuff is very cool looking, and 100 hp shouldn't be that hard to get. I know that Joe Minton was getting that from streetable project bikes in the 80s. I thought about doing it back then. I doubt that I will ever do it, but it would be fun to do.
                          Combat does "skunk" reference color scheme? Before my friend got a hold of spray paint this one I'm working on was blue and white

Comment

Oh, and you can go around corners now without stopping and paddling.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                              You'd better change into some brown underwear before you take out the GS if you have only ridden hogs before
                              I wouldn't go that far.. Both are fun in their own rights. Kinda like riding a two stroke dirt bike vs a four stroke to me.

Apples and oranges.
                              sigpic

82 GS850
                              78 GS1000
                              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                              .................________-|___\____
                              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                                Search the word "Harley" if you wanna see some real laughs. These guys are mean! Hard pressed to find this kinda razzing on a Harley forum, that's for sure.
                                Will do. I guess its a Suzuki enthusiast site, stands to reason they rib the Harley owners.

Comment

Working...
                                X