Fell in my lap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
    Great looking bike, Joe..I, like all the rest will be looking forward to your "plan" for this one. I really like the mid-80's Yamahas.
    How do I talk you into to doing the paint on this thing?

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
      How do I talk you into to doing the paint on this thing?
      Boy, Joe. I wish I could. Seriously. Every time I get a request from this site, especially repeat customers like yourself, it makes me want to resume painting.

Resto modded would be so cool, You have that technique dialed in, man.
      1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
        Boy, Joe. I wish I could. Seriously. Every time I get a request from this site, especially repeat customers like yourself, it makes me want to resume painting.

Resto modded would be so cool, You have that technique dialed in, man.
        Larry, if you are looking for commitments to help you get back to it, you won't need to twist my arm.

Nice buy, Joe.

Comment

These were thrown in with the bike, best I can tell it is from an early 90's FZR 600 which means someone spotted me a head start on this project .

Comment

Very nice sir! I think there are going to be 2 jealous FZ owners here in Ontario shortly

Will it be a bolt on fit or will there be some machining do you think?

Comment

Excuse me while I go and throw up now.....

I am not even going to try to top that nice score.......

but do you have the front.....

on the other hand, don't answer that....it will just break my heart....

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                Very nice sir! I think there are going to be 2 jealous FZ owners here in Ontario shortly

Will it be a bolt on fit or will there be some machining do you think?
                Spy, not sure on the fitment yet I was leaning more towards the Thunderace front and rear swap.

Comment

I stumbled on this today and thought of your post her J. I don't know anything about these bikes but looks like it may be a good deal (at about half ta price) for someone to fix up and flip em.

FJ1200 1986 (2) with parts worth $2000 - $2000 (Houston Texas)

TWO (2) 1986 FJ1200 Yamaha motorcycles, and over $2000 worth of parts.
                  18115 miles, carbs are off. Not running now.
                  41283 miles, needs fluids replaced, battery, etc.
                  Both fair condition.
                  Located in Houston, Texas
                  I can work with you on transporting.

Titles, keys, repair manuals, special tools.
                  Running well when I put them up.
                  $2000 for everything
                  281-433-0786
                  82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                  80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
                    I stumbled on this today and thought of your post her J. I don't know anything about these bikes but looks like it may be a good deal (at about half ta price) for someone to fix up and flip em.

FJ1200 1986 (2) with parts worth $2000 - $2000 (Houston Texas)

TWO (2) 1986 FJ1200 Yamaha motorcycles, and over $2000 worth of parts.
                    18115 miles, carbs are off. Not running now.
                    41283 miles, needs fluids replaced, battery, etc.
                    Both fair condition.
                    Located in Houston, Texas
                    I can work with you on transporting.

Titles, keys, repair manuals, special tools.
                    Running well when I put them up.
                    $2000 for everything
                    281-433-0786
                    Yep, Russr33 here on the board sent that to me also. Its a smoking deal!

Comment

Here is a nice one in BC...

Crappy pics though...why can't people make a better effort when they are trying to sell something??

No signature

Comment

I had an '85 way back when and I'll tell you those things are absolutely bullet proof. I toured it, raced and even managed to toss it down the road a couple of times with minimal damage. When I got rid of it at 100,000 the only repairs other than some cosmetic stuff was a set of clutch fibers at around 80,000 because it would slip a bit at full throttle in top gear, the mufflers rust out and got replaced with a Supertrapp 4 - 2, that's it. Once you check/set the valves they'll probably stay in spec basically forever. Service interval for them is 25,000 miles (42,000kms). My second and last adjustment was around 55,000 kms and when checked again at around 90,000 it needed no shims. It ran as good the day I sold it as when I bought it slightly used.
                        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I have to say I am more excited about this build than I have been about one in quite some time. What I really like is how the bike fits me from an ergo standpoint. It has a slightly aggressive seating position but doesn't make you feel like a monkey on a football. For being a 750 it is also fairly large which I like as well, not griping but my 700es is a little small for me.
                          The plan is confirmed it will get the full blown rest-mod suspension upgrade as well as an engine rebuild top to bottom if needed.

Comment

The bike is comfortable in the leg and crotch area as the engine is not as wide as other 750 4s due to the generator being mounted behind the cylinder block and not on the end of the crank.

With the rearset pegs there is a bit of a forward lean to the bars but it is not excessive, however for some, like me, it is uncomfortable after a little while. I notice it in my shoulders and neck.

I must admit, I haven't had a lot of saddle time this year as I had another late start to my season but I do enjoy the power of the bike. Thinking about it, I believe a GS like I had with comfortable upright seating and this engine would be perfect for me. In this regard, I'm already thinking about the "Fazer" model and if one should come up I might have to make the switch.

Can't wait to see how your project pans out.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                              I have to say I am more excited about this build than I have been about one in quite some time. What I really like is how the bike fits me from an ergo standpoint. It has a slightly aggressive seating position but doesn't make you feel like a monkey on a football. For being a 750 it is also fairly large which I like as well, not griping but my 700es is a little small for me.
                              The plan is confirmed it will get the full blown rest-mod suspension upgrade as well as an engine rebuild top to bottom if needed.
                              I am taking notes.......

please do take lots of pics, measurements and so on......

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                                I am taking notes.......

please do take lots of pics, measurements and so on......

My first real throw down with a Yami, for the most part restores are fairly easy if you have the time and money. Resto-mods are a whole different animal.

Comment

Working...
                                X