• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very cool indeed,you help keep me going on my 82 750

Comment

"I would like to be done by June..."

Only missed by a month!

Very nice.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
        "I would like to be done by June..."

Only missed by a month!

Very nice.
        by a month and two years but who is counting . . . Couple of more pics & question

PS: Unfortunately it didn't start when Ray came over On Saturday over to shoot the video. We had spark, starter spun the motor way fast but on Prime gas overflowed out the carb drain lines and when I pulled plugs from cylinder 1 & 4 they were completely dry? Initially when starting we did hear it backfire through the exhaust.

Stranger yet the floats are plastic so I assume they are non-adjustable and they can only be installed one way. Perhaps the idle adjust screw needs to be turned in to lift the slides a bit to get it started. I am missing anything?
        1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
        Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Steve, They should be adjustable by bending the brass tab that rests on the float valve. If they are 29s thee level is 23 mm from flange to float bottom when inverted. This should give you a fuel level 4 mm below the flange in service. You can make a test device using a spare drain plug, a small metal tube pressed into a drilled hole and connect a fuel line (clear). Ray
          "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
          GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
          1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
          1979 GS1000SN The new hope
          1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Sorry, I missed your call. I've been doing a bit of looking at posts talking about level problems on flatslides. There is one by Skip titled float level Mikunis flatslides? Dated 6-26-2003. It may be pertinent. Really strange!
            1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

No worries Ray, I am probably close to giving it another attempt to start it.

When Ray & I attempted to start the GPz two weekends ago gas overflowed from both overflow lines which was likely caused by dirty or worn needle valve assemblies. The following Monday (7/25), I contacted several Mikuni distributors including Tucker Rocky (worthless), Orient Express & Sudco to see if any of them could source parts for these Mikuni RS27 Smoothbores predecessors of the present day RS34, RS36, RS38. Jon Walcher from Sudco took the most interest considering the easy answer was No. He mentioned another employee, Chad who was currently out of town had some 25 years experience @ Sudco might be able to help point me in the right direction but was not due back till 8/1/16.

In the meantime, I Googled for Mikuni RS27 smoothbores a bit and found this GS Forum thread came back on the top of the search hits . . . not very helpful. I started a parallel thread on the GPz550 Forum back in Jan 2014. While maintaining that thread, the Administrator Corey Clough who raced GPz550s in the Bay offered to sell a set of RS27s which he bought from another GPz forum member. Corey didn't like the RS27s and never installed them on his race bikes. He mentioned the throttle cables had to be custom length. Corey was very helpful on my GPz project . . . sorta like a Nessism for the GPz550 community. Regardless that some of the background for the following picture.

My leaky RS27 on the right and another set of used RS27s I bought from Corey Clough on the left.

A picture is worth a thousand words. The RS27 float are plastic and probably not meant to be adjusted. My floats are the bright yellow ones. Notice the tab/tang has curled on the float right on the right. The brown one has no deformation (WoHooo)

Everyone knows the strategy now, time to swap bad for unknown and see what happens. That is until Sudco replies. Jon Walcher mentioned these RS27s might have been made for the Japanese market only?

I swapped floats first because I am conservative. I found several of the float pins were gummy because in 2015 I filled the carbs but never started it . So I cleaned them again. The float height with the RS27 inverted is approximately 14.25mm

This picture illustrates the warped float tab. I probably will try to bend them back with heat at some point.

I have now swapped all the floats into the RS27s that will be reinstalled on the GPz550. In the foreground, I swapped out the pilot jet (30s - I am at 5000+ Ft) and replaced them with the 32.5s which were originally installed. I also adjusted the air screw from 1 full turn out to 3/4 of a turn out based on my second set of RS27 because Corey stated they came off a running bike.

Could definitely use any Forum help here because you never know what is lying around from previous projects etc. These are the leaky Mikuni Needle Valve Assemblies. The Needle Valve body measures the following

Ht: 10mm & OD 8mm. The body is marked like jets with a Mikuni symbol 2.0

Leak testing this last Saturday . . . very high-tech

Looks so sweet but they still leak from Carb 1 & 2. Back to it this time though, I swap the needle valve assemblies with better results. No leaks this time.
              Last edited by srsupertrap; 08-02-2016, 02:20 PM.
              Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

I like the test stand. Checking fuel level with the carbs off the bike saves a LOT of frustration later on.

On the last few sets of carbs I've done I've gone to automatically replacing the float needles. The needle springs get weak and then the fuel level rises. To clean up the seat I take a small piece of gray scotchbrite that has been worn down some already and stuff that inside the seat, then I take a wood stick and spin the scotchbrite around until the seat is bright and shiny where the needle contacts.

As an aside, regarding those plastic floats, I bought a low mileage Kawasaki ZX6E a number of years back and found one of the floats full of fuel. I bought a new float and threw the old one on the workbench. Now something like 7 years later the float is still full of fuel. Not one iota has escaped or evaporated. Makes you wonder how it got in there in the first place.

Looking forward to the upcoming start up video. Hope the jetting is reasonably close so you can get that bad boy out on the road!
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  I like the test stand. Checking fuel level with the carbs off the bike saves a LOT of frustration later on.

On the last few sets of carbs I've done I've gone to automatically replacing the float needles. The needle springs get weak and then the fuel level rises. To clean up the seat I take a small piece of gray scotchbrite that has been worn down some already and stuff that inside the seat, then I take a wood stick and spin the scotchbrite around until the seat is bright and shiny where the needle contacts.

As an aside, regarding those plastic floats, I bought a low mileage Kawasaki ZX6E a number of years back and found one of the floats full of fuel. I bought a new float and threw the old one on the workbench. Now something like 7 years later the float is still full of fuel. Not one iota has escaped or evaporated. Makes you wonder how it got in there in the first place.

Looking forward to the upcoming start up video. Hope the jetting is reasonably close so you can get that bad boy out on the road!
                  That would be nice, Ed if you get a minute could you post a picture(s) of how you use gray scotchbrite to clean inside the seat. The ID of those pictured are pretty small. So far no response from Sudco concerning replacement needle vale assemblies so it cannot hurt to try and clean what I have right now?

Comment

I've had luck in the past with spinning up the float valves in my drill press and dressing them with some wet and dry (600). As long as they are not too dimpled it will take the shine off them and make them seal better.

Nothing better than getting new ones though......
                    Current:
                    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Here you go Steve. The process involves scrunching up the piece of scotchbrite (I used Gray), shoving it inside the seat, then twisting the scotchbrite while shoving it inside the seat. Once it bottoms out then push hard on the scotchbrite while spinning to polish the seat. Optional is take a small screwdriver or piece of wood and use that to shove the scotchbrite inside the seat while turning.

Hope this helps.

P1030171 by nessism, on Flickr

P1030172 by nessism, on Flickr

P1030173 by nessism, on Flickr
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Comment

Looks like you are heading in the right direction. Looking forward to see it run.
                        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Thanks Ed for posting those pictures, that helps.

Ray, I reinstalled the carbs, the float bowls are full and it hasn't leaked this week. I will try to start it tomorrow. If you have time Sunday maybe we can try again and shoot that video?

Regarding the carbs, I contacted Sudco on Friday to follow up on my request for parts. Chad Thompson who has been at Sudco for decades was very insightful & helpful, I learned these carbs are actually called TM27s. Chad stated all Mikuni Flatslides are in the TM family even the present day RS 34-40 series. These TM27s were manufactured in 1986 & 1987 and were pretty quickly obsoleted. When I asked about replacement TM27 Needle Valve Assembly, he told me I was most likely out of luck because they couldn't find any with an OD of 8mm. He was more hopeful though they could find some replacement float needles. I have the action to create a drawing with the dimensions and email it to me on Monday.

That's the latest update. We will give it another whirl Sunday

Comment

Looking forward to an update...
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Comment

Any news Steve? Possibly cam chain adjuster loosened up? Ray
                              1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

I will start with the good because there is some BAD to follow.

Regarding needle jet assemblies, I sent Chad Thompson @ Sudco a TM 27 needle valve assembly and he identified Sudco's P/N VM15/172 as an equivalent needle. No luck on the needle seat and each one cost about $25 and there is no returns. I have asked Jeff Tuttobene to see if anyone at Mikuni can help but no definite word yet.

Jeff saw my picture of my butchered Dyna S wiring connections below and offered to help . . . again just like so many others have. When one installs a Dyna S on 81-83 GPz550's you loose the IC Ignitor and the factory connector. Note the extra Dyna S wiring loop.

Jeff lent me his Super Crimper, gave me his extra OEM connector to make my Dyna S connections look professional

Much better

Last edited by srsupertrap; 08-22-2016, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X