Project 82 GPz750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you liked those here's more:

Headlight ears and passenger peg carriers in satin PC,the grab rail and kick stand in gloss.Coil,engine and electrics mounts in the same Appliance "Epoxy" as the frame.

Comment

Been hard at doing parts clean up,mostly PC.

Wheels where blasted with ground walnut shells ready to paint,after masking of courseSanded the "polished" areas to 600 grit wet instead of going the full treatment.

Comment

Got the wheels painted
        Edit: I have a deal in the works to get a VERY nice stock exhaust off a BCCMC member
        Last edited by Guest; 09-15-2016, 10:54 PM.

Comment

So nice to follow along.

Have you considered stripping the paint off the elevated structures of the valve cover? (That DOHC lettering etc, no clue what the proper english term is). Methinks that would look very nice, similar to how the spokes look now.
          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
          #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
          #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
            So nice to follow along.

Have you considered stripping the paint off the elevated structures of the valve cover? (That DOHC lettering etc, no clue what the proper english term is). Methinks that would look very nice, similar to how the spokes look now.
            A guy on KZR has done that to his 85 GPz750 and it looks real good.This seems to be going in the back to original as I can get it direction and all black wrinkle is how it was.There will be bits like SS brake lines and new shocks because those need replacing.

Comment

Started on the brakes,the only good news is the front master looks to be in good shape.All three caliper pistons where a PITA to get out and one will not budge with air.The 2 I got out where rusted and unusable.The piston of the rear master is pretty much the same story Think I'm going to have to get a MC together to force them out.Looks like the rusted rear KZ MC syndrome bit my ass Anybody have a source for 43Wx36H SS caliper pistons?OEM's with seals(the dust seals are in good shape) are about $150USD from Partzilla,200ish CAD.Looked at the Wenmoto site,thy're SS pistons with both seals come out to about $200CAD,may go that way when the time comes.
              Last edited by Guest; 09-17-2016, 01:04 PM.

Comment

A bit of heat and both problem pieces popped out

Comment

Kawasaki caliper pistons are NOT cheap. I had to replace all three on my KZ too. Bend over...
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I've used stainless steel pistons from Wemoto, and they are fine. The seals, however, are sh1te - thin, glossy, inflexible and a poor fit. Never used a single one.
                    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Kawasaki caliper pistons are NOT cheap. I had to replace all three on my KZ too. Bend over...
                      That's why I'm thinking getting the Wenmoto SS pistons out of the UK will be worth it.They'll be the same price as the OEM so why not go for the SS ones.

Comment

Found out K&L makes caliper pistons for the GPz and my local dealer can get 2.The third may be coming from a BC classics member.

Got a start on the engine paint,the Dupli-color low gloss black is just what I was hoping it would be.Will be just right with the gloss PC covers.Tried a new blast media to,cooper slag.Does a better job on rust than the ground walnut shells but leaves a smoother finish than ground glass.Cheap to a $10CAD

Comment

The before

The after of a badge refresh.Was thinking there's on missing.The one on the tail piece was still on it.Like the engine badges it came off quite easy.Thinking I'll be putting them back on with JBWeld.
                          All the engine covers are PCed and the engine would be in the frame but for a medical issue.If weather cooperates next weekend I hope.

Comment

Engine all done or close enough to:

Get her in the frame.A major milestone!

Comment

Wow, you are pouring a lot of love into that bike. Good job !

We were luck to get one in a little better shape than yours...
                              DSC04041.jpg

oops ours is a 83. What color are you painting yours?
                              1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
                              1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
                              1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
                              Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Cool bike to,yeah it might be in slightly better shapeI was tinkering with the idea of Sonic gold that a few GPz's came in with in 82 but the original gold used was......bland.Going with the stock red with dark blue and silver stripes.With a set of stock pipes in the works it should be a no sweat Collector plate bike!

Comment

Working...
                                X