No announcement yet.

Building/equipping a workshop/garage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firstly, the paper is wider than the insulation and gets stapled to the wood. That keeps it in place, for the most part, but it will also be covered with OSB (oriented-strand board, the panel seen behind the left end of the ladder). The walls and the ceiling will be paneled with OSB.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Right, so it's actually slightly thicker than the cavity is deep, so is effectively lightly pressed into place.
      My wall cavity is 6" deep but only needs 4" of insulation (only a workshop, not domestic, so less vital) and these are the kind of thing I need to find locally, but can't get.

The advantage of the semi-rigid batt is it will stay in place and stay up without slumping. There's no shortage of attic insulation locally, but it's loosely-formed stuff with no rigidity to it. Sure, I can just stuff large amounts in and hope it stays there, but it's less than ideal. I've seen too many builders doing exactly that, with unsuitable materials and when I've gone to fit electrics or plumbing later, I can see the shortcuts and bad workmanship the homeowner has paid for, out of sight.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Looking good. I have been renting a shop to play in. I am getting really tired of paying rent on it.
        1981 GS1100E
        1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

my handy lift.jpgThis is perhaps the best tool I've ever bought ! The Handy lift is...... well.... Handy !

Comment

Originally posted by ridingtherockies View Post
            This is perhaps the best tool I've ever bought ! The Handy lift is...... well.... Handy !
            I have not yet purchased a lift (not quite ready for it), and am open to suggestions.

Any other information/links/etc. on the Handy lift?

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Aside from the OSB making it a little easier to hang/attach things to, why did you chose it over blue board and plaster?

Comment

Pardon the pun, but you nailed it.

Besides, it's a lot easier to "finish". I just plan on tossing some paint on the OSB and calling it "done". If something happens to fall to a wall and put a dent in it, it will be far less noticeable with the OSB than with drywall (blue board). OSB is also just a little bit cheaper per sheet, then factor in that you don't have to mud and tape, it's a lot quicker.

If I were going for a more elegant showplace of a garage, I might have considered drywall, but it's a work place, not a show place.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

OK, it has been a couple weeks of small detail work that does not photograph well, but the last few days have made some more-dramatic changes.

The upstairs room has been the focus, so it can be ready for #2 son when he comes home for #1 son's wedding next weekend. Since other family members are also staying with us, he has volunteered to stay in the garage, so I am concentrating on making it very liveable.

Last week, the room looked like this:

Then I started masking the trusses so I could paint the ceiling:

After painting the ceiling and the end wall:

The stair treads got stained and three coats of clear polyurethane: (the risers will end up being painted white)

The floor got painted a light gray:

All of this trim:

Was put around these windows:

So they ended up looking like this:

A near-perfect match to the windows in the house.

Over the next week or so, the plan is to install the pocket door at the bottom of the stairs, so I can finish panelling the second wall on the stairway. THEN I can get back to working on the downstairs, which will be to finish the insulation, install one more electrical outlet outside, install a motion sensor for the entry light, put up the ceiling, then the walls. Then a coat (or two) of paint, and maybe the ground will have dried out enough for the plumber to come in and do his "thing". Also need to make a decision on which air compressor to get, so I can work on finishing up my 220-volt wiring.

Progress is a bit slower than originally planned, but, dog-gone it, it's getting done RIGHT!

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Wow Steve, looking great. As I'm actually not working this weekend for the first time in awhile, I'll have to try swinging by to see it in person.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

You may end up "looking at it" with a hammer in your hand, but come on by.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Sweet work Steve. Very nice quality.
                        David
                        1998 Suzuki Bandit
                        1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                        1978 GS1000 - gone
                        1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Looks awesome! The neon " OPEN " sign will be hanging out front in no time!

Comment

And, in the words of Tom Bodett: "We'll leave the light on for you."

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

A couple of thoughts: It looks like your original plan was to have the bathroom in line with the stairs. Based on the PT bottom plate, it looks like you ended up going a couple of feet wider. So, instead of doing a custom pocket door ( looks like you will need to hang it above the first tread), how about continue the bath wall all the way to the end wall? This would allow you to have a good size closet as well as a door to the upstairs? Keep in mind that I don't have a clear shot of that area in it's current state, so disregard if you are beyond that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                                And, in the words of Tom Bodett: "We'll leave the light on for you."

I had a counterpoint teacher in college that talked just like Tom Bodett. It's pretty funny having someone who sounds like that explain the intricacies of writing a five voice fugue.
                                "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Working...
                                X