Building/equipping a workshop/garage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wymple View Post
    It won't bother your neighbors unless it's the nasty oil less type. The noise dissipates quickly outdoors. But it would be loud to you INSIDE the walls.
    Make sure there is a wall between you and the compressor. Build it a dedicated doghouse if you worry about the neighbors. If it's in your shop area you will be sorry.
    "You can lead a horse to water..."

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
      "...but you can't make him use the proper Suzuki shim tool."
      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
        Beer fridge, stripper pole.
        Don't know about the stripper pole, but based on previous posts, that should be "miscellaneous cold beverage fridge". For hot drinks, you have to use the expresso machine on the Gold Wing.

Jim
        1981 GS550T (Long gone)
        1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

Comment

A forum dedicated to nothing but...

Garage design & tool discussion for the working man,,,

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
            Originally posted by Allie View Post
            "...but you can't make him use the proper Suzuki shim tool."
            Allie, you're killing me. That was hilarious.
            Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Trust me, everything on this project is going to have to be "by the book". I have to give them archetectual drawings for the whole project to even apply for a permit.

With 8-foot ceilings (don't think I could stretch that even to 8 1/2), any kind of auto lift is out of the question. Any cars or trucks that need work will be on the ground or with a floor jack.
              I love your new garage plans and the ideas that have been thrown out there so far. Sometimes, there's nothing better than dreaming up designs for my future garage. Is the 8-feet ceiling limitation there because you plan to use the entire attic for storage and insulation or is it because of code rules for structure height/roof design?
              Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

Originally posted by GSJim View Post
                Don't know about the stripper pole, but based on previous posts, that should be "miscellaneous cold beverage fridge". For hot drinks, you have to use the expresso machine on the Gold Wing.

Jim
                Yessir, a wonderful memory you have there, sir.

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                A forum dedicated to nothing but...

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/
                Yes, Joe, but GateKeeper beat you to that suggestion back in post #19.

I have already signed up there and have started browsing.

Originally posted by Missile99 View Post
                I love your new garage plans and the ideas that have been thrown out there so far. Sometimes, there's nothing better than dreaming up designs for my future garage. Is the 8-feet ceiling limitation there because you plan to use the entire attic for storage and insulation or is it because of code rules for structure height/roof design?
                The height limit is "12-foot average from eave to peak". With 8-foot eaves and an 8:12 pitch on the roof, the peak will be at 16 feet. Allowing for floor joists in the attic and the rafters, I will have about 6 1/2 feet in the center, which drops quickly to either side. Storage will be limited to about the center 10 or 12 feet, where there will be about 3-foot height at the outer edges.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I had a thought on the compressor housing.I get it needs to be in the buildings footprint but would an insulated room of it's own vented to the outside work?I have an idea in my head but I'm not sure I'm describing it right.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                    I had a thought on the compressor housing.I get it needs to be in the buildings footprint but would an insulated room of it's own vented to the outside work?I have an idea in my head but I'm not sure I'm describing it right.
                    No need to insulate.

Comment

... but would an insulated room of it's own vented to the outside work?
                      Originally posted by wymple View Post
                      No need to insulate.
                      Instead of thermal "insulation", think of "sound-absorbing" insulation.

SV, that's pretty much what I have in mind, if it gets too bothersome.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thinking it would be easier to do while you are building rather than retrofitting it later.

Comment

Probably true, but I will probably put it in the "plan for it, but don't complete it yet" category.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Thinking it would be easier to do while you are building rather than retrofitting it later.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Probably true, but I will probably put it in the "plan for it, but don't complete it yet" category.

Excellent prioritizing. Drum riser first! Or... you -could- put the compressor under the drum riser... no one would ever know it was there!

<=== genius!
                            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

When I was thinking of my workshop lighting, I looked up what was recommended for workspaces.
                              750lumens/sq m is what's needed, so working with what I had available I found the light output of the fittings I had.
                              Years ago, with exactly this in mind, I had acquired some ex-office ceiling fittings, that have 4x4ft fluorescent tubes in them. I still have a bundle of working tubes, and allowing for light fall-off with age, I reckoned I'd need five of these fittings.
                              I wasn't wrong...

The area is approx 35sq metres and has about 26,000 lumens flooding it. Every one of them is needed. Don't stint on light.
                              The walls and ceiling have been painted white since the pics were shot - makes a trememdous difference.
                              Last edited by Grimly; 08-01-2014, 03:51 PM.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                                Don't stint on light.
                                I have appreciated having enough light for quite a while. It is hard to get pictures to show the difference, but I have six double-tube, 4-foot fluorescent shop lights in my garage now.

In the small storage shed that is out back now (that will be removed to make room for the new garage), I have two 2-foot, double-tube fluorescent lights. In yet another shed, I have two single-tube 4-foot fluorescents.

With that much commitment to light in storage areas, imagine what a work area will be like.

sigpic
                                Family Portrait
                                Siblings and Spouses
                                Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                                X