X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLD THIS

BOUGHT THIS

AND THE REST OF THE $$$ WILL FUND THIS
    Sick and tierd (and to old) to be working on the ground. Cheap but seems sturdy, stable, and rolls real nice with the bike on it.

Comment

Did you clear it with Maverick first?
      Is that a Harbour Freight lift?
      Besides not having to work on the ground, i need one to get things closer to my eyes.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        Did you clear it with Maverick first?
        Is that a Harbour Freight lift?
        Besides not having to work on the ground, i need one to get things closer to my eyes.
        Maverick??? Ill say YES, I clear everything with Maverick!
        Yes it is a Harbor Freight, bought used. I was worried about it being cheap but its great does everything I need as long as it keeps working…..
        CLOSER AND BRIGHTER, it's a shame but as they say the eyes are the second thing to go! Now whats the first again???

Comment

That was an '84 900, the first "Ninja", correct?

Very historically significant bike. Almost bought one a year ago, then lucked upon my Suzi.

But for those of us of a certain age, the H2 is much more significant. With it's little sister H1, and it's big brother Z1, the original trio of widow-makers.
          Last edited by Rob S.; 09-06-2014, 09:53 PM.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            That was an '84 900, the first "Ninja", correct?

Very historically significant bike. Almost bought one a year ago, then lucked upon my Suzi.

But for those of us of a certain age, the H2 is much more significant. With it's little sister H1, and it's big brother Z1, the original trio of widow-makers.
            Yes the first yr ninja, almost wasent going to sell it but it wasent in that great of shape and I got it not running worked on it last summer and this summer and it never ran quite right , it needed more attention than I was willing to give it.
            I'm a bit young for the serious H2 crowd by about 10 yrs but I do have fond memories of them when I was a youngster had a S1 when I was 14... Mom and the cops didn't like it!!
            I love the big old GS's and the KZ/ Gpz's
            cant wait to get the H2 done but truly I probably wouldn't have it of My cousin had not pass away and left it to me. And there not cheap to build!(what is...) That bike has the better part of $5000 into it and it ain't done.
            Luckily(thank you Jerry) I got it with nearly all the parts.

Comment

Its funny how the H2 (stock) went from super quick in '72 to 13 second quarter miles in 1974. My Scoutmaster bought one of the first ones in '72, and was dumb enough to let me ride it. I didn't have a license yet. It was a sub 20 mpg machine, he told me at the time. He still has it, mostly in boxes.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
                SOLD THIS

BOUGHT THIS

AND THE REST OF THE $$$ WILL FUND THIS
                Sick and tierd (and to old) to be working on the ground. Cheap but seems sturdy, stable, and rolls real nice with the bike on it.
                I had a 900 Ninja, first year as well. It needed the starter clutch replaced and a few other things. I almost had to give it away. I was surprised that it wasn't worth more. What did you get for yours?
                NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                  Its funny how the H2 (stock) went from super quick in '72 to 13 second quarter miles in 1974. My Scoutmaster bought one of the first ones in '72, and was dumb enough to let me ride it. I didn't have a license yet. It was a sub 20 mpg machine, he told me at the time. He still has it, mostly in boxes.
                  The first year models for both the H1 and H2 were a bit faster. The rely H2's hd different cylinders and they are still worth a bit more to collectors. The preproduction bikes set to the magazines where supposedly a bit different than the production runs , advertising was all about 1/4 mile. I have seen tests done on random samples of most of the years and believe it or not they all were really close to the same HP once production started there were some oil pump mods and tuning mods done to improve milage and oil consumption. If he wants to sell those parts contact me maybe Id be interested.

The Ninja 900 had the starter clutch changed by the PO but he never put it back together. I did a bunch of work on it cleaning the carbs, brake bleeding, valve ECT. Had less than 500$ into it sold it for $725 asked 750 on craigs list had 4 call inside 20 min and a Guy came in under 2 hours and loaded it up. I tried to hold out for 750 but he only brought 725, smart on his part because I said OK. It was a good deal all around!

Comment

That's interesting...the '84 Ninja I almost bought also needed a starter clutch.

Very glad I went air-cooled.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Ninja 900's
                      starter clutch(need to split cases to change it)
                      soft valves that would tulip into the head
                      bad oil pump pick ups that would lead to cam wear
                      and cam spalling issues
                      But it is still legendary!!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
                        Ninja 900's
                        starter clutch(need to split cases to change it)
                        soft valves that would tulip into the head
                        bad oil pump pick ups that would lead to cam wear
                        and cam spalling issues
                        But it is still legendary!!
                        Yes, and all of those things happened to mine. I sold it after 27 years of ownership, in great garaged condition for 600 bucks. Along with a set of performance machine billet brakes.
                        NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Thought Id update this thread. Got the lights all wired and working, sorry no pics of that, I had some but must have deleted them.
                          Started working on grinding in the reeds into the cylinders, this will take some time.
                          Here are some pics of the reeds and the cylinders. You can see in the second pic Im getting close to running out of gasket matting surface on the top right of the photo……. Got to be MORE careful!!, I believe I stopped in time! Its less than .5mm less than the copper heat gasket that come with the kit (if that makes any sense). I may build it up with a touch of epoxy Im not sure yet. The copper heat gasket gets set to the cylinders with sealant so it may be fine.
                          Also the finish inside the ports is meaningless as the reeds come with an insert that takes the place of the port most of the way to the cylinder wall, although I am still going to smooth it out.
                          Im hoping to have it running by spring, even if there are some loose ends to do, Id like it to be road worthy, it may be awhile before my trusty GS1150 is back up and on the road once I get time to look at it. The GS needs some TLC, starer clutch, and the last ride I took in fall it made a horrendous noise that I have only heard on my table saw right before the bearings on the shaft went flying! So my plan with that is to do a inspection before I start it again, look at the oil, the starter clutch, maybe see if I can poke a camera into the crank area thru the oil pan, I don't know if that is possible??
                          Anyway hoping for the best with the GS.

Comment

Went well getting the reeds to fit, got the pistons laid out to get the holes in them.

Comment

That thing is stunning.
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

i see a lady bug...opened my wallet the other day and guess what???
                                a damn lady bug.
                                those and the damn alien looking camel back crickets are killing me!
                                oh,
                                nice work...i can almost smell the bean oil

Comment

Working...
                                X