Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK...so like I need yet another bike...right???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats very reassuring Ed
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hydraulic lifters on these I wonder? Steve?
      Damn I will go look it up.

Comment

Check out this one Chuck. Owner wants 3k not much nicer than yours if any.

Comment

IIRC, there is something about the cam chains needing replacement before 100,000 miles and every 100,000 thereafter.
          If they break, the valves get bent. Sound familiar?
          Beautiful bike and probably good for a few hundred thousand more miles with good care. GREAT SCORE Chuck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            How are the cylinders numbered on a Gold wing???
            Look down on the engine from above, you will see that one side is just a bit farther forward than the other (I don't remember which one). The cylinders are numbered from front to back.

OH MY FRIGGINN GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didnt even look at the miles. Blew up the one pic and it says...........79,333 for god sakes!!! HMMMM...got me a little worry going on .
            Nothing to worry about there, it's just barely broken in.

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
            IS that high mileage for this engine?
            I recall reading an ad way back when that boasted of getting a million "high performance" miles outta them.
            Not sure about a million, but several hundred thousand are common. The highest one that I have personally seen was a 1200 (1985 model) that had 385,000 on it.

My 2000 Wing has just over 185,000 miles and is just now starting to show signs of leaky valve seals. About 1 in 15 or 20 cold starts, there will be a very brief puff of blue smoke.

I dont know if that HIGH mileage, midlife, or put a bullet in it mileage. Never had a Goldwing before. Guess a lot would depend on the frequency of oil changes and other upkeep??????
            Just like any other engine.

That is not really very high for that engine. How worried would you be about finding a 1980 GS with 70,000 miles? Exact same number of miles per year, but the water cooling and under-stressed design of the Wing, it is that much less to worry about.

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
            Hydraulic lifters on these I wonder? Steve?
            No, hydraulic lifters did not show up until 1984, on the 1200 engine.

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
            IIRC, there is something about the cam chains needing replacement before 100,000 miles and every 100,000 thereafter.
            If they break, the valves get bent. Sound familiar?
            Right concept, wrong detail. There are belts driving the cams, not chains. If they were chains, they would not break, but Honda felt they would be too noisy and chose to use belts.

Yes, this is an "interference" engine. If the belts break, it's cheaper to find a new engine than it is to repair this one. The general recommendation is to change them every 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. If there is no recollection of changing them, do it NOW. NAPA carries belts for it that are about half the cost of Honda belts. That will save you just about enough money to also change the tensioners. Yes, two of them, one for each belt.

About the only other thing that goes out somewhat regularly on the early Wings is the water pump. You will see evidence of a leak from a weep hole in its housing before it fails totally. Certainly enough warning to be able to change it before anything drastic happens.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Chuck, I really like these vintage wings. I think this is a great score! Personally, I have seen an early model with 450k miles on the clock. I don't think you will ever wear it out.
              1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

One of my friends just upgraded to an '87 'Wing. He would like to sell me his other 'Wing, it's an '85 fully dressed and then some (Interstate package), has 68,000 miles on it. I can get it for $2,000, it's had regular maintenance, a beautiful bike. I wish I had the money for it, but I really think the next bike I get will be something like a DR450 or a KZ. I need a dual purpose, not another road bike right now.

Comment

Chuck, are you planning on a quick flip or going to ride it? Those early naked Wings are cool! I could have bought a running 75' last year for $400 but around these parts there is very minimal upside to make a buck. If yours needs extensive service, battery, tires, ect you could find yourself upside down in a hurry. Clean carbs , polish up and sell is my vote

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                    One of my friends just upgraded to an '87 'Wing. He would like to sell me his other 'Wing, it's an '85 fully dressed and then some (Interstate package), has 68,000 miles on it. I can get it for $2,000, it's had regular maintenance, a beautiful bike. I wish I had the money for it, but I really think the next bike I get will be something like a DR450 or a KZ. I need a dual purpose, not another road bike right now.
                    I think my son is eventually going to go full touring (ie Wing / Venturer ) at some point. Like you said you can find them well serviced & nice shape for a low bucks fairly easily

Comment

Arent those carbs a bear to remove? Something about the engine has to come out?
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                      .................________-|___\____
                      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

How could you resist? First Goldwing, very historically significant, $300?!?

I rode a friend's '75 when it was new. One guy said he didn't like it because it was too smooth - too much like a car.

Wonder what that guy would say about the newer ones with reverse gears!

If I had a 'Wing, I'd ride it naked - no fairing, no windshield, no bags, no trunk. No clothes, in summer.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Nebraska...It was running last summer when the carbs started leaking and other than that there wasnt any issues...that he is telling me about anyway.

Already got ahold of my buddy down in Killeen Texas thats been the top metric bike mechanic for Killeen Power Sports since 1980. He has advised me to get the carbs off, clean them and do new orings. And he said there is a fuel transfer tube down by the airbox plenum that has orings at the ends which are famous for giving up the ghost.

I also intend on changing the antifreeze and timing belts soon as its an established runner again. Also doing the full maintenance schedule per the service manual. The rear diff oil for sure is gonna be changed too. Probably gonna keep it for a while and see how it grows on me. Never rode a wing before.
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Chuck, it will probably need a bunch of work done to it. I'll be down shortly to take it off your hands.
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Dale..your not allowed here unless Penelope is under your rear end...LOL

Comment

Now would that mean all or just part of her? I can throw the frame in the trailer!
                                Nice score Chuck. Those are one of my favorite bikes. That and the R series BMW's from the same era.
                                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                                X