No announcement yet.

74 Z1 restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks like a piece of wall shelf bracket.
    Bike build by Ikea.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      That looks like a piece of wall shelf bracket.
      Bike build by Ikea.
      Ding ding ding. We have a winner. And a loser who put it there

Comment

I found a whole seat local in real good shape and picked up a dyna s and a set of 06 gsxr 1000 rearsets. Hope this thing actually runs.

Comment

I have been attempting to remove the paint from the tank as it more closely resembles alligator skin than paint. Sanding it gums up the paper in short order and almost resembles rubber. I will be trying a chemical stripper on the tank but am unsure of the best way to remove paint from the plastic pieces. Any suggestions
          Waiting on my advancer to show up so I can test run this turd

Comment

PPG (and others) make a paint remover specifically for plastic parts. Any auto parts store should have or can get this for you.

Comment

Little victories. Managed to run the carbs through the ultrasonic, fabricated aluminum adaptors for the rearsets and stood back and said WOW why the he'll did I buy this piece of crap. Also received my ignition advancer from oink Johnson an eBay seller I highly recommend for used dragbike stuff and more.

Last edited by Guest; 10-15-2014, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff.saunders View Post
                PPG (and others) make a paint remover specifically for plastic parts. Any auto parts store should have or can get this for you.
                Thanks for that. I ordered some stripper from the local uap store in town.

Comment

Just my two cents but I would not recommend stripping down the plastic pieces. I think most of us have very good to excellent results just sanding down the plastic pieces. Larry is the expert though
                  1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                  Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
                    Just my two cents but I would not recommend stripping down the plastic pieces. I think most of us have very good to excellent results just sanding down the plastic pieces. Larry is the expert though
                    I tried sanding but I don't even know if it's paint as it gums up the paper instantly. Did receive my windscreen which is the same one I have on my 1100E. Ordered tank and side cover badges, voltage regulator, oil cooler fittings and some stainless fasteners from Z1. Still haven't heard it run.

I like it.
                    Last edited by Guest; 10-17-2014, 07:27 AM.

Comment

It's alive. Engine sounds ok. Carbs are screwed and leak like a sieve. I have a set of vm29ss carbs that I plan on using anyway so I will haul them out and give them a shot.

Comment

Good to see you have a steering dampener and a better swingarm, but are there any mods to the frame?

I owned one of those widow-makers, a '73 (I actually bought it from the young widow two weeks after the accident), and the high-speed wobbles were very scary. Dumped me once at 70 mph.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I have owned a bunch of old kz, s and have never experienced I'll handling. Luckey me I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            Good to see you have a steering dampener and a better swingarm, but are there any mods to the frame?

I owned one of those widow-makers, a '73 (I actually bought it from the young widow two weeks after the accident), and the high-speed wobbles were very scary. Dumped me once at 70 mph.
                            Then the bike was setup badly. I've owned plenty of these bikes and the only time I've experience wobbles at 70mph is when the tires were in poor shape or the shocks worn out. With the right tires, shocks, wheel alignment, the bikes handle decent unless you do something silly like change gears when under load on a sweeping curve (that's the only time I've ever had a tank slapper on a Z1 - scary). Most times wobbles don't appear until well over 100mph - and steering dampers don't solve any issues - most times all they do is move the problem to an even higher speed.

Comment

Working...
                            X