1 bike is never enough, new to me 71 BMW R75/5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...in 1971 my Old Man was 7...
    I think a BMW slowly grows on you as you age. when I was in my early 20's I wouldn't consider riding anything but a Japanese bike. Now though The BMW thought keeps popping in my head. I would get a project airhead like that firstly... 250K mile bikes right there. I considered a K bike when I was in the market for the B-king... Too young I thought and went with the Zuk.
    Ahh man I really like that bike!!!
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I refreshed a K100 last year. Its really a great bike but a little buzzy at high way speeds. If you are looking for a K I would recommend the K75. I hear they are as vibration free as our Suzuki's. Really the only reason I got this ike was the price was right and I needed a parts bike. I wasnt planning on spending 1100 bucks to get it back on the road but I did and it is. Glad I did spend the cash now, there are a bunch of little rubber parts that are critical and have to be replaced or you will have problems. Once they are sorted they go for a long time with just oil changes. Worst thing I can think of with this bike is every 20,000 miles you have to pull the trany off and lube the splines. It even uses Yamaha/Kawasaki shims.
      Heres the K I did.

If you really want one plan on spending a bunch of cash on parts. I think HD and BMW are in a competition for most expensive parts but you can still get OEM parts for bikes made in the 20's.
      Thanks for all the kind words gentlemen. I have found out that the fairing in the back ground is a Avioner Gustafsson or something like that. Its for sale so come and get it. Ill have better pictures of it if anyone is interested.
      Last edited by Guest; 01-22-2015, 01:44 AM.

Comment

I have a whole other 85 K100RS if anyone is interested. I have all the parts just have been more interested in working on other projects since I got the last one done. It could be yours if..... the price is right......

Comment

Nice Flying Bricks!

Yeah I hear the shafts are a nightmare if you don't lubricate them periodically. Also hear they use a dry clutch system and that's another nightmare when the rear main seal decides to walk out...

No BMW this season... Maybe next??? I'm sure the percentage of likely hood to ownership will increase with my age.
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Actually I replaced the rear main seal when I had the trany off. It wasn't that bad and there is a good video on youtube that hows how to get it done. Hardest part was re-aligning it when you put it back on. I did find out the cylinder studs from a skidoo snowmobile worked great. The dry clutch has been used for a looooooong time on MW's. It is very easy deal with, actually it's easier than the wet clutches on jap bikes just dirtier because of the dust generated.
            I saw you just got a B-King so it sounds like your set for quite a while. Nice bikes those are.

Comment

Working...
            X