Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what do you get on a 30,000km service from BMW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what do you get on a 30,000km service from BMW?

So I'm bring my K1300R in for it's 30k service this week. I'm told it will be around $1000

Here is what I get for that. Thought some might be interested.

On a brighter note this is what they are giving me to ride for the day while they work on my bike.
    One of the employees lives not to far from me and he will drop this bike off at my house in the morning and take my 1300r into the shop. Now that's service! Mind you with tires my bill will be around $1600. Ouch!

No signature

I don't even have that much in my bike as a whole!!!

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Youch! That's close to $1300 US.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
        I don't even have that much in my bike as a whole!!!
        Yes, It's almost what I paid for two of mu GS's

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
        Youch! That's close to $1300 US.
        Yes, crazy! I have been putting $$ aside for a couple of months now in preparation for the bend over.
        Must say though riding this bike as much as I do and for the amount of enjoyment I get out of it, I don't mind.
        No signature

Comment

The Ultimate Riding Machine, right?
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
            The Ultimate Riding Machine, right?
            I sure think so. If you come out here this fall you can find out for yourself. ��
            No signature

Comment

Trevor, the only work that might be above your capability would be checking the valves, not sure if you need any special tools, the rest is basic maintenance.

You are paying $1000 for an oil change and a bleed and fill of your brake fluids plus a bit of a squeeze here and a tickle there and cough please, that's about it..

I used to take my Mercedes ML320 Diesel into the dealer for the first few years but after a $700 bill for new rear brakes, (pads only) and a few other $600 oil changes I started doing the basic service myself.

Maybe next time you can do some of it yourself and with the spare loot buy a nice dinner for you and your lovely wife or ????
              2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
              2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
              1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
              2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
              1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
              1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
              1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
              Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
                Trevor, the only work that might be above your capability would be checking the valves, not sure if you need any special tools, the rest is basic maintenance.

You are paying $1000 for an oil change and a bleed and fill of your brake fluids plus a bit of a squeeze here and a tickle there and cough please, that's about it..

I used to take my Mercedes ML320 Diesel into the dealer for the first few years but after a $700 bill for new rear brakes, (pads only) and a few other $600 oil changes I started doing the basic service myself.

Maybe next time you can do some of it yourself and with the spare loot buy a nice dinner for you and your lovely wife or ????
                Right you are Dave! I'm at least going to changing the oil myself.
                No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                  I sure think so. If you come out here this fall you can find out for yourself. ��
                  How does it compare to a Hayabusa? That would be the most powerful (modern) bike I've ridden. I'm certain it's more civilized than the old monster 750 Turbo I had built back in the day.
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Yes, not much there really for $1000. The only thing would be do you have the gear to read fault codes? However, if there are no problems and not flashing check engine light......then save yourself the $1000 and do it yourself. Unless this is to ensure further warranty coverage? If so pony up get it done but when that expires do it yourself.

I was talking to a fellow the other day about his new BMW bike, you know the big fancy race bike one that us like $30000.
                    Anyways it went in for a service, the ff'd up big time and the tech over torqued the steering stem nut and apparently it is going to cost like $3-4000 to fix! Apparently the torque is like 240 in/lb, dude torqued, or tried, to torque it to 240 ft/lb!
                    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

You are paying more for you service than I initially paid for all 3 of my bikes.......now how much have I put into them..ummmmm that's a bit different. It sure would be funny if you brought back the 1000 with an extra 800km on her, ha,ha,ha
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                        You are paying more for you service than I initially paid for all 3 of my bikes.......now how much have I put into them..ummmmm that's a bit different. It sure would be funny if you brought back the 1000 with an extra 800km on her, ha,ha,ha
                        I paid 425 for my 4 bikes. I say run the tires off that red one before you turn it back it!
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g
                        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                          I paid 425 for my 4 bikes. I say run the tires off that red one before you turn it back it!
                          Lol...good idea Charlie! I like the way you think!
                          No signature

Comment

I decided I could do just as good of an oil change as the one BMW was going to screw me out of $600 for, it was actually quite enjoyable.

The $600 went towards the new KTM.....

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              I decided I could do just as good of an oil change as the one BMW was going to screw me out of $600 for, it was actually quite enjoyable.

The $600 went towards the new KTM.....
                              My BMW oil changes only cost $300...
                              No signature

Comment

Working...
                              X