No announcement yet.

Well it was free with a title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took it up to operating temp and ran it for a good 10 minutes. Not a hint of anything. I'm going to pull the rad & flush the crap out of everything when I do the belts. It seems all pretty good under the dirt. The headlight bucket was still on the bike tucked behind the fairing, and bent all to hell. Aftermarket coming up. The ears that held it are in great shape. Tomorrow I pull the back fender & get out the powerwasher. Got some really nice rims under the grime.

Comment

My buddy Matt just got a 76 a few weeks back. Tank is rusty too. Mine had some attention needed as well. Heres what my solution was instead of yanking the tank.

Remove the seat and on top of the tank is the sending unit..its held in by a ring that turns and wedges the sending unit down. Tap that ring counter clockwise and remove the sending unit. Get 5 gallons of CLEANING vinegar because its 8% strength instead of the standard 5%. Drain the tank of gas ( i syphoned them dry ). Then fill then tank with the vinegar and let it set a few days. It will eat the rust.

In the mean time get a sort of stiff rod and bend a loop on the end like a gun cleaning patch holder would look like. Once the vinegar is syphoned out..or drained via the drain plug on the right side of the tank..take the metal rod and crimp some steel wool in the loop and dump in some dish soap and water and use the rod to scrub the inside of the tank. Rinse well a few times and drain the tank. Next, take said rod and use a rag this time to go in a sweep the sediment to the bottom of the tank.

At this point, I have a rubber tube with about a half inch hole in it. I stick the tube into the shop vac hose and duct tape it in and close off the rest of the hose. The rubber tube is my suction hose for vacuuming the bottom of then tank. Button it up and put gas in it.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Great idea. I didn't think I could get all particles out of the tank if I didn't pull it. We soak carbs in vinegar and water, 50-50. I need straight strength?

Comment

Yes...straight strength on the vinegar. I go a 48 hr soak to be well sure it has had ample time to dissolve the rust.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I put the vinegar in Matts tank at around 10:30 last night and this is what was floating on top at 9 AM. Will syphon the tank Saturday AM, scrub it with the steel wool, rinse, do a scrub with some Acetone, rinse, and probably fog the tank with some WD 40. He probably isnt gonna be putting gas in right away so the WD 40 will stop flash rusting till then.

Floaties loosened up...

The sending unit locking ring....Note there are arrows that are supposed to be lined up once the locking ring is tapped tight. Its really not necessary unless it bothers you that they arent..HA HA.

Comment

And another thing on shifting. Up shifting goes easy but when i first rode mine, I couldnt get it to down shift more than 1 gear and I thought the tranny was junked. What really was happening was that the toe of my boot hits the bottom of the points cover and doesnt let the shift lever return up far enough for the ratchet to reset and allow another down shift.

So what I do is down shift, swing my toe to the left and off the shifter pedal, and down shift again. I thought about resetting the pedal one spline lower but then its kinda hard to point the foot down and up shift. Kinda a catch 22 thing but now i instinctively just swing my foot out and proceed.

Comment

Wymple. Just realised something you said about doing a tank liner on the bike. If you look in the tank thru the sender hole, youll see a rounded screen up in there towards the filler neck area. . Thats the main fuel pick up tube. The round screen in the very bottom is the reserve tube pick up. Once fuel gets lower than the upper one thats when you switch to reserve and fuel is brought up from the very bottom.

So, if one was to do a liner on these tanks you would have to find a way to cover the two pick up screens. Dont know how anyone would go about that trick.

Comment

Sounds to me like there won't be any tank liner. Thanks. We pulled the rear fender off tonight and the old V65C Moto Guzzi fender in the garage was pretty much a direct fit. Even the holes lined up! What kind of coincidence is that? It has a slight swoop up at the tail, but that even looks better. Picked up a new aftermarket headlight for it, and some rear brake pads. I'll get pictures up tomorrow after we blast it all off.

Comment

Pulled junk off, added the Moto Guzzi rear fender, went to the car wash.....

Comment

WOW!!! looks so much better now with some attention given. Youre gonna love the way she rides. Timed right and the carbs dialed in she pulls nicely and is so quiet.

Comment

We have a set of aftermarket mufflers that are a perfect fit, just need to make a couple brackets to hold the rears up. My son Chris is on to this thing like Bill Cosby. Today he pulled the exhaust off and cleaned it up, threw some high temp paint on. It's going to look pretty good for an old porker when we're done. I don't think it will get too far from home, Chris prefers his 650 Guzzi for the longer hauls. I still think he may reassess that with a few hours on the old wing.

Comment

Well.....whats the latest??? Rode it yet????

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
                            Sounds to me like there won't be any tank liner. Thanks. We pulled the rear fender off tonight and the old V65C Moto Guzzi fender in the garage was pretty much a direct fit. Even the holes lined up! What kind of coincidence is that? It has a slight swoop up at the tail, but that even looks better. Picked up a new aftermarket headlight for it, and some rear brake pads. I'll get pictures up tomorrow after we blast it all off.
                            Good choice, tank liners are a recipe for disaster and are mostly used by cheapskates that won't pony up for GOOD replacement parts, basically an accident waiting to happen! Do it right the FIRST TIME and fuggedaboutit!
                            Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                            87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                            99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                            15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

I got too busy resurrecting my Cal II Guzzi to be ready for a rally in another week or ten days. It will not likely get too much attention for another two weeks. Also been riding some, and you know how those day trips kill your time.

Comment

Well, we finally dug in deeper. Engine is tight everywhere, not a wisp of anything leaking. Pulled the radiator and the fluid looks like new. We put new hose on just because. The timing belts also look like brand new pieces, not a hint of wear or aging. We buttoned it back up. Took the carbs off & pulled the float bowls, all is well except dirty, nothing dry or corrosive happening at all. Sent the carbs to somebody very familiar with them. When they get back, I'm wiring the headlight, tail/brake lights, turn signals. As long as the battery is getting charged the kid wants to ride it. We can work on it this winter.

Comment

Working...
                                X