1974 Honda CB450 K DOHC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1974 Honda CB450 K DOHC

I have had this bike for a couple years now. Pushed it aside a couple of times for other projects. When I bought the bike it had been sitting idle for nearly 20 years. I did the carbs, valves etc and got it up and running and thought all was good. It is actually almost completely done with new tires, brakes, petcock etc.

The other day I found that the compression is one cylinder is 90 psi, while the other is 150 psi. Poured a little oil in the cylinder and the psi jumped to 130 psi, indicting rings.

So, this is a turning point with the bike. I need to decide whether I want:

1) Tuck it away or another 20 years.

2) Sell it to someone who will do the work, I would price it high enough so it doesn't end up as a parts bike.

3) Attempt the repairs myself, I am not much of a case cracker, mainly due to my skill set and time constraints.

4) Research and find a specialty shop that will do the work, I have heard good things about this one: http://www.madhousemotors.com/

Just thinking out loud here....I would love to learn more about this engine, but I think doing this one myself is my least favorite option.

Does anyone here have experience with this bike?

Change the oil, adjust the valves, plate it and ride the snot out of it.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
      Change the oil, adjust the valves, plate it and ride the snot out of it.
      Done, done, done and it runs like ****.

Comment

That's a fine looking bike. Like rustybronco said ride the snot out of it . The compression will most likely come back up ,probably a stuck ring from sitting.
        81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

Originally posted by yank View Post
          That's a fine looking bike. Like rustybronco said ride the snot out of it . The compression will most likely come back up ,probably a stuck ring from sitting.

Well, that would be nice!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
            Done, done, done and it runs like ****.
            only three done's. have you rode the snot out of it?

Comment

I agree. Ride the snot out of it and abuse the throttle.... way up and way down.... and yank that piston around a while..then recheck the stats after a few weeks of rattling its cage

Oh and by the way, that was the first street bike i ever rode on pavement.
              Last edited by chuck hahn; 09-27-2015, 12:13 PM.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Sounds likely, it usually works on GSes that have been sitting. Run it hard for a month and check it again. Even if it does need rings, the top end on a twin is easy to do. Several hours worth of work is all, even if you have to spend a bit of time reading about it. Find a high school auto shop class to do it if you can't spare a few hours to do it yourself. Maybe there's a motorcycle mechanic shop in the local community college or trade school that does stuff like this?

Or just pay someone who works on old motorcycles, like someone on this forum maybe. I'd do it as that model has always interested me, except I have way too many projects going...

I would think that model in that shape is worth paying to have it fixed? Whatever you do don't take it to a place that sells new bikes, their job is NOT to keep old bikes running forever.

On second thought, 90psi in one cylinder is NOT going to cause it to run like crap. I have run many many bikes with lower compression than that, they mostly run OK. Lopsided idle maybe, could be a bit hard to start, perhaps a tad down on power but that's about all. Going down the road you'd never know it. It could cause it to foul a plug but that's not too likely. If it is truly running bad I'd look at the carbs, they always go bad from sitting. Also look at the ignition points. And all of the usual places where neglect shows up.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post

On second thought, 90psi in one cylinder is NOT going to cause it to run like crap. I have run many many bikes with lower compression than that, they mostly run OK. Lopsided idle maybe, could be a bit hard to start, perhaps a tad down on power but that's about all. Going down the road you'd never know it. It could cause it to foul a plug but that's not too likely. If it is truly running bad I'd look at the carbs, they always go bad from sitting. Also look at the ignition points. And all of the usual places where neglect shows up.
                  Actually forget the hard to start and down on power part. Those are the ones with about ten psi in one cylinder.

Comment

Throw about an ounce or two of seafoam in the oil.
                    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Heat cycles.

Comment

Maybe a little down that jug as well and let it set a day or two..then run the smoke off by going for a long spirited ride.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I would have a cruise around on the 2 cylinder Honda site before i made any decisions on that beauty.
                          A forum community dedicated to Honda Twin cylinder motorcycle owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, engine builds, classifieds, modifications, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Well, this is strange. Yesterday after reading the suggestions of adding a little sea foam in the case, I did just that. I also put a straw full down the jug. Immediately after doing this, I checked the compression with a different gauge ( and without my Honda Helper). I came up with 190 psi in both sides.

I decided to fire it up and it ran poorly. The side that I thought had low compression was not running as hot as the other side. Some misfires and just doesn't sound right.

Fast forward to today.... I decided to check the compression again, thinking that maybe adding the sea foam to the jug gave me a false reading as it coated the bad rings? Well, after 24 hours + of sitting I get a reading of 190 PSI in both cylinders. Each time the compression was checked while the engine was cold and the carbs on. I know this is not correct, but consistent.

So, I guess the good news is I have a crappy running bike with good compression. Back to the drawing board!

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                              Back to the drawing board!
                              No, back to the routine maintenance. Should be a great bike once you get it all working correctly.

Comment

Working...
                              X