No announcement yet.

Just a Little Project (CB250 little)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes zinc plating is quite easy but plan on investing in a variable power source for good results .I've been using an old dumb battery charger and it comes out grey.That comes off but I recently noticed the gray is back on my plated bolts

Comment

I actually have one that I use for work and other projects. That was why there was the "DOH" moment. The only thing I'm waiting on is the chunk of zinc.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2016, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Cool,sounds like you're even better set up for plating than I am.Just remember prep is the key.

Comment

Set up my makeshift zinc plating apparatus and gave it a test run today.

Acid bath, rinse bucket, plating bath.

Before and after. And that is only one pass.

Its funny. One thing most tutorials and videos on using the vinegar and epsom salts plating technique didn't mention is how much it stinks. LOL I'm using sulfuric acid as my cleaning/etching bath so its even doubly smelly.

But it works, in fact it works even without input electric current (although very slooowly). My DC power supply apparently does not like to run at a measly 5v at less than 1 amp. It kept cutting off after 5 minutes. But crank it up to 30 v and 10 amp and it will plate all day long. In fact, it will make chunks of zinc materialize in mid solution...

Ready to go into production with the CB's parts.

Still trying to screw up the courage to cut the frame.

Comment

Got the carb clean, steel parts all zinced and shineyish, and back together.

Obviously, I wasn't going for "new-looking". Just functional, clean, and rust free.

No suprises other than that the tiny little spacer/collar thing in the air pump/valve actuator pivot was missing. PO had basically just pinched it between two washers and called it good. Fabricated one by hammering the pivot bolt thru a spare spacer to I-donno-what-it-came-from to the right size and... called it good.

K&N pod filter and replacement plunger choke and it should be good to go.... or rather wait until the rest of the bike is done and then try and get the jetting right.

Comment

Just a pre warning you might have a very poor running engine using that pod filter. Many times the Mikuni CV carbs need a certain amount of vacuum signal around the inlet venturi to run correctly. Some guys love pods, other such as myself hate them.
              '06 HD Fatboy
              '84 GPz1100

Comment

Was bored last night and felt like making chips.

The various axles spacers minus their extra material.

Yes, I will probably drill all of my washers too at some point.

Comment

Sigh...

That is a Rebel 250 chain adjuster. And yeah, the end plates are tack welded on.

POs...
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2016, 08:00 PM.

Comment

The sin is done. The frame. It is cut.

I am totally sick of sulfuric acid, vinegar, zinc, and the million bloody little screws and doo dads that make up a motorcycle. I swear my next "build" will either be new off the showroom floor or I'm just gonna rattlecan the whole thing flat black!

Comment

The yellow paint of shame is going away.

Comment

Haven't done much lately besides ebay off some of the stock parts.

Did solve my wrong/missing rear axle adjuster problem by machining some new ones and end plate from aluminum stock. They are about half the weight of the original.

Also did break down and buy some cheap Chinese titanium, mostly for the rear unsprung suspension.

Comment

Working...
                        X