chopper wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chopper wiring

I have 2 cb650's.One is complete,untouched wiring.The other has been scavenged.The ignition switch is hanging from the handlebars, the idiot lghts are out of the dashboard,signal lights and tailight are gone.On that bike i want to have just a headlight with high and lowbeam,taillight and brake light,no starter button,nokill switch,2 position key just on or off or no key and just toggle switch.Coils,stator,rectifier all need wired plus the starter.Where the solenoid and rectifier would have been mounted are just wires with connectors on the ends.For a basic circuit-run a large gauge red wire from positive side of battery, to main fuse, to positive side of rectifier, to ignition switch, to positive side of solenoid.And a similar gauge black wire to the other side of rectifier,ignition,and negative of solenoid? But horn,headlights and tail and stoplights I am not sure of.I am no good at wiring as you can see.I have the tailight in a box.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Do a google search for chopper wiring and hit images. Lots of ways to get where you want to go.

Comment

Sounds like you already have a plan in mind, time to start stringing wires.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Sounds like you already have a plan in mind, time to start stringing wires.

viragotechforum.com has a guy who makes his own harnesses.Plus a website a guy does exactly what I have mentioned.I have a friend that is a honda 4's expert.he is going to help.I burned up the harness on a gs 850 as you might remember.As the bike comes along I will post pictures here.No whining, I promise.
        future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Please visit our technical articles for instructions on wiring the M-Unit Blue as well as comprehensive diagrams, complete kit checklist, troubleshooting gui...

steve,what do you think about this? It definitely would be easy to get the horn,lights,brake light,blinkers going, but what about starting and charging? This like a $300 version of what i was writing here about chopper wiring, only very hi tech.
          I just found they have another video that gets all the handlebar controls involved,including starting circuit.I did not watch the whole thing.I can not afford $300 for the device.A long common ground does seem like a bad idea.Ground all the black wires together in the back of the bike and again in the front of the bike makes more sense.

http://www.bikeexif.com/motorcycle-wiring this makes more sense,but really,some of the links here did not open.I was just trying to come up with a simple way to wire and not set my bike on fire like I did one time till Steve gave me some tips. Simple knowledge of wiring and a few dollars should be sufficient.
          Last edited by ron bayless; 06-16-2016, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

thiswill not open for me.is there another way to see it.I would like to.

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless View Post
                thiswill not open for me.is there another way to see it.I would like to.
                Try this one; just a link to the "550 Bobber Schematic"

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

what about this one?

Comment

I have seen worse; the biggest problem I see if the 30A main fuse is not going to protect against a shorted R/R.

The other issue it has a strange fusing arrangement without a fuse box but a fuse downstream of the main.

Other than that it probably will pass a smoke test.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      I have seen worse; the biggest problem I see if the 30A main fuse is not going to protect against a shorted R/R.

The other issue it has a strange fusing arrangement without a fuse box but a fuse downstream of the main.

Other than that it probably will pass a smoke test.
                      I finally got your 550 diagram to download, but cannot view it unless I sign up for Office. The comment here about the fuse issue on his diagram is over my head.I know these bikes nearly have one main fuse 30 amp and they have R/R.The idea of downstream fusible links was so if say a headlight blew it wouldnt blow everything on the bike.That would be a shortcoming of one central backbone common ground also.one thing fails it all fails.

Comment

I finally got your 550 diagram to download, but cannot view it unless I sign up for Office. The comment here about the fuse issue on his diagram is over my head.I know these bikes nearly have one main fuse 30 amp and they have R/R.The idea of downstream fusible links was so if say a headlight blew it wouldnt blow everything on the bike.That would be a shortcoming of one central backbone common ground also.one thing fails it all fails.
                        I'm not a wiring expert, but why couldn't you use the frame as your common ground? The engine electronics, battery and starter solenoid already use it. Most light bulbs use the base as the ground.
                        GSRick
                        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                          I'm not a wiring expert, but why couldn't you use the frame as your common ground? The engine electronics, battery and starter solenoid already use it. Most light bulbs use the base as the ground.
                          Not saying to not use the frame.That is what should be used.I am talking about plans I have seen where one black wire runs from the front of the bike to the back,making room for drops in voltage, and everything in one wire for grounding purposes is riskier than using the frame in my opinion.

Also, here is a idea that probably would work on the GS bikeshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIMfpKsK0Ho

Comment

Working...
                          X