2010 Hyosung GT250... Underrated machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2010 Hyosung GT250... Underrated machine

So I flipped the Gixxer, ended up scoring another pile of coin and this little gem a 2010 Hyosung GT250... What a phenomenal little machine! It's a 250cc fuel injected V-twin based in a Suzuki based frame (looks like a GS500 frame). I've ridden other 250's but this one has all the power in the mid range. It rolls on nice and will easily do illegal speeds. For back VT back roads it very quick. The stock Shinko tires are OK... If i keep in the stable, I'll upgrade to 009's. I'm pretty sure the tires on there are bias...
    The bike is big for a 250 (feels more like a SV650). Inverted forks and brakes are more then adequate for the twisties. I passed a couple cars on the VT passes. It goes pretty quick. 0-60 is about 6 seconds, It will top out with me on it around 85mph. I did hit 95mph on a big straight... I'm impressed with the little guy. Cruising wise it's a straight up standard bike. Seat is hard but very comfy. I can't stress enough how it feels like a SV650 or GS500...
    I'll likely trade it an as I work towards the next big purchase but if not It's excellent little bugger to keep in the stable.

Pics:

Anyone have any experience with these bikes?
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

I suspect your bike might have been tweaked if you think it's anywhere like an SV - I got hold of a carb'd version (06 gt250r) and it was remarkably underwhelming in the power stakes.

Although to be fair I think the R models were geared up for a bit more top speed than the naked ones so they suffered more in the throttle response stakes.

Glad you like it though
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I only mean in handling... Power is similar to a GS400 I'd say... It's pretty damn adequate!
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

interesting info on wikipedia
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

is thisthe manual?
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

if it is kindly note how the layouts are strikingly like Suzuki OEM manuals.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
              I only mean in handling... Power is similar to a GS400 I'd say... It's pretty damn adequate!

Ahhh - OK, I get you now

Cant remember if this only applies to the earlier models but the cam chain tensioners were a weak link - the fix was to fit a later model one but I think by 2010 they had this sorted out.

Otherwise they are pretty good value for money bikes.
              Current:
              Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
              VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                if it is kindly note how the layouts are strikingly like Suzuki OEM manuals.
                Its really no secret that Hyosung copied the SV motor when building their v twin power plants.

But, if you're going to copy something, at least they copied something that worked well.

Glad they didn't try and copy a CX500.......
                Current:

Past:

Comment

The history is interesting apparently they have been tied in to Suzuki for decades.
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

The ECU is a Deawo unit... Ugh. The motor though is a tank. More then happy to let any local GSR folks give it a rip. It handles and runs very much like a Japanese bike..

I pulled the the trigger knowing the 2010 was the latest 250GT model... Fuel Injection is also a great thing to have! I read some pretty positive reviews. Figured it was good move to give something new a go...
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Oof. It weighs 420 pounds gassed up!
                      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

diet? how big is the tank?
                        1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

It's got a 300 mile range, so big, I'd bet.

Edit: Just checked. 4.5 gallons. Great mpg, but a fat little bike.
                          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

We have a 2013 GT250R here at the shop waiting for a customer to buy. I rode it an it's a 250. Like the Kawi baby ninja, wind it up in the gears and it will move even my 230+ but down the road fast enough for city commuting and month end speeding tickets. Actually I ran it up to 75 in a 45 and it seemed to have more available. At 6'2"ish(gravity is winning) it doesn't feel too small like it get on mopeds and scooters. Styling isn't all bad, but the headlight looks like a shrunken GSXR headlight. I prefer duel symmetric headlights on sportbikes, sorry BMW(ugly). Over all fun for shot blasts, if you can get buyers past the name, it should resell no problem. Putting lowering links was a royal PITA. The bottom link bolt collides with the exhaust so it have to atleast be loosened and the rear exhaust tube removed to get the bolt out. You can't reverse the bolt to make it easy putting back together, it has to go that way back in, trust me on this. There is no clearance with the nut and bolt protruding out to get the rear pipe back on.
                            GSRick
                            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                              It's got a 300 mile range, so big, I'd bet.

Edit: Just checked. 4.5 gallons. Great mpg, but a fat little bike.
                              The rims are the same as the 650 yet they throw smaller bias tread on them (reduce rotating mass??). Frames are indeed different. Front forks and rear swing arms (and braking components) are the same from the 650 to the 250, which contributes to the bigger bike feel (and girth). Tank is also the same... 4.5 Gallon.

The GT250R (fairing bike) is heavier then the naked GT250. The 650R and 250R share the same fairings too... The one I have only sports 1 stopper in the front which is more then adequate yet like the old school GS's I could switch to a twin disk conversion easily. The rims are the same with all the GT's so the right side of the rim is pre drilled and caliper mounts are on the forks... But for what it is it's adequate!

I did just ordered some new tread Shinko tread (replacing the Shink0 740 bias for Shinko 009 Z Radials). The tires definitely don't feel right for the Chasis... Make sense since these components are identical to the 650 and the big brothers sport 120 70-ZR17 in the front and 160 60 ZR17 in the back.

The headlight on my naked definitely looks like it came from a SV650N parts bin.

It's a cool little duffer for sure!
                              Last edited by Jedz123; 07-21-2016, 12:39 PM.
                              Jedz Moto
                              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
                              X