1987 Suzuki Savage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1987 Suzuki Savage

After getting tired of the CBR (especially the riding position) it got traded today for an '87 Savage. I have been wanting one of these for awhile as I love the motor and want to do a Ryca-style cafe with it. I haven't had the heart to cut up any of my GS's but this little guy I have no such reservations

You can see she is pretty ugly right now. The paint is some textured stuff I have never seen before. Kind of reminds me of the stuff they spray on the bottom of pools for grip. The exhaust is plain stupid. Pretty much straight pipe I expect but I'll know more once I get in to it. The seat is 1/2 of foam and black duct tape. One gets the idea she was creeping towards "bobber". I rode it 80ish miles home and I'll tell you it has the most personality out of everything I have ever ridden. That thumper coupled with the light weight kept a grin on my face the whole way home. This is the direction I am hoping to take it.

The first thing I did when I got it home was throw a set of 12.5" shocks on the back of it since they were too short for my 850. It raised the back about 2 inches which a) supports my big azz better and b) makes it feel far better going down the road. Will try to get a stock seat and exhaust for it while I am acquiring parts for the cafe conversion.

Best of luck, the RYCA looks good.
    I suggest some clip ons, fork brace and dual front discs.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

The clip-ons and fork brace are a certainty. As well as a stainless brake line for the front. Going to leave the single brake 'til I have had a chance to ride it more and then go from there.

Comment

Comment

Haha Vmass I saw that. If you search Ryca there is also a second one that pops up. I love them but their kit prices are outside my budget. So I will be making my own take on it unless I hit it big lol.

Comment

Thinking about this pipe. It has a removeable baffle so I can tune the sound to my liking by repacking with fiberglass or steel wool.

Comment

Started tear down last night. I swear some people shouldn't be allowed within 100 ft of a motor vehicle or anything one might describe as a tool. Bike was running lean and back firing on decel when I brought it home as well as getting a bit of after-run bang on shut down. Well no damn wonder. Idiot had the vacuum line off the carb and petcock, not plugged, and was running the petcock on prime. She was sucking unmetered air right in to the intake. Grr. Anyways, I pulled the exhaust for replacement, and also pulled the carb to take stock of jets and give it a quick clean. Will be ordering a pod filter and a Dynojet kit pretty soon. Going to get after the exhaust port with a dremel this weekend as that's the biggest restriction in these bikes. Rather than the exhaust I posted, I will be going with a 26" EMGO reverse cone muffler. I have read some reviews that they work well if you repack them and it's what RYCA sends in their kits so it's good enough for me. Going to re-wrap the header until I can source a nicer one. Current one is banged up a bit on the bottom bend and showing a lot of corrosion. I have fork seals coming so the forks will get rebuilt this weekend. Going to lower them a bit and replace the fluid. I'll start with 15w and adjust from there. I'll have pictures up later of how she sits now.

Comment

Here it is after a bit more disassembly.

I need to get to work fabbing up the battery box and seat mount so I can beat the bobber look out of it lol.
                Last edited by Guest; 09-14-2016, 07:54 PM.

Comment

I can see a lot of steel to be cut off, like those foot pegs on the swing arms.
                  I had no idea those had a fan belt drive.
                  Any possibility of putting an aluminum swing arm on there?
                  I was thinking about your project, and was reminded of the small displacement race bikes of the 1960s-70s.
                  You'd have to build a new frame to replicate those, but you may consider a retro half or full fairing.
                  More unusual and interesting than another same old cafe custom with bolt on parts.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                  X