'91 dr650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'91 dr650

Well I lost out on that trike, so I needed to find something else to blow my cash on. Enter the DR 650. I saw this bike this morning and thought it might be a good bike for one of my sons. Hopped on the 1100 to check it out this evening before the sun went down. The guy said it should run with a new plug, but the gas smelled stale and I'm sure the carb also has bad gas and maybe even water in it if it was filled with ethanol fuel. I was disappointed that it's a kick start only bike. I thought they came with a starter. He said a guy drove from Tampa before me and tried to start it, but it wouldn't fire up. He said it sounded like it wanted to. He passed on the guys offer of $400 and the guy passed on the $450 counter offer. I agreed on $450 and I'm heading back tomorrow when he gets off work with trailer in tow to pick it up. With a clear title, even if the engine is bad, I can make my money back parting it out.

GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Loved mine...bought it with a Honda xr600...paid $1500 for the pair...sold the Honda for $1200...not bad for $250...put another $700 into it.
    I rode it for two years..no issues. Easy to start once you know the tricks. But kick starting go old for me...not fun on the trail, creek, etc....so I upgraded to a new one in November...have fun Rick!

No signature

Comment

Funny, that's what the guy said, "once you know the trick". Said it was like an anti theft device, but once you know the trick or magic sequence, it's a nonissue. I hope so, but it's not for me, even though I'm sure I'll ride it some. I've ridden similar bikes at work, but unless I need to go off road, they aren't for me. I don't care much for sitting so high or the buzz a single cylinder thumper does to my neither regions. lol This has a thicker seat than all of those did, so maybe it wont be so bad.
      GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

14k miles, doubtful that it doesn't have a lot of life left in it.

SSDB- new battery, change the oil, clean the carb, new O rings and it should start right up
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
          Funny, that's what the guy said, "once you know the trick". Said it was like an anti theft device, but once you know the trick or magic sequence, it's a nonissue. I hope so, but it's not for me, even though I'm sure I'll ride it some. I've ridden similar bikes at work, but unless I need to go off road, they aren't for me. I don't care much for sitting so high or the buzz a single cylinder thumper does to my neither regions. lol This has a thicker seat than all of those did, so maybe it wont be so bad.
          "anti-theft"...lol....guys on the pre-96 DR face book page always say..that "if your DR goes missing, just look in a two block radius from your home, where you'll likely find it abandoned....once they realize they can't start it"........mine had the top end done at 45,000 kms....great engine!
          No signature

Comment

I had the little brother, 91 DR350. It too had a starting ritual and would fire up if the ritual was followed to the letter. Great bike for running around on the curvy, rough back roads we have around here. I put 5000 miles on it over a summer, but the starting ritual was too hard on my aging knees. If I ever come across a later model with the electric leg for a really good price I would grab it. They are a popular bike here in southeastern Ohio and the price usually reflects that.

dr.jpg

Comment

What did you do?

OK past DR owners, spill it. Tell me you secret ritual. I may need a few to try till I come up with the proper combination. When I talked to the guy last night, he said it was a one full rotation pull the decompression lever slowly rotate the engine until you hear the click, then kick it over. Said it would start right up. Does this sound like your ritual?

I'm actually having the same problem with a couple of '08 Honda CRF250R dirt bikes I working on for a side customer. I still think it's an igniter issue, but there are no tests for that, but looking at some forum results, they seem to be prone to the secret ritual also.
              GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                OK past DR owners, spill it. Tell me you secret ritual. I may need a few to try till I come up with the proper combination. When I talked to the guy last night, he said it was a one full rotation pull the decompression lever slowly rotate the engine until you hear the click, then kick it over. Said it would start right up. Does this sound like your ritual?

I'm actually having the same problem with a couple of '08 Honda CRF250R dirt bikes I working on for a side customer. I still think it's an igniter issue, but there are no tests for that, but looking at some forum results, they seem to be prone to the secret ritual also.
                For me Rick....I would leave the key in the off position and pull in the decompression lever, then push the kick start lever until I heard the click of the lever...then bring the kick starter to the top and give it a kick. When cold I would do this 3 times with the key off...then turn the bike on and do the same routine...and it would fire right up.
                If it's warm, no need to do this....just the routine once with it on....cheers
                No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                  For me Rick....I would leave the key in the off position and pull in the decompression lever, then push the kick start lever until I heard the click of the lever...then bring the kick starter to the top and give it a kick. When cold I would do this 3 times with the key off...then turn the bike on and do the same routine...and it would fire right up.
                  If it's warm, no need to do this....just the routine once with it on....cheers
                  Thanks Trevor. That sounds similar to what the owner said.
                  GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Rick, your son is fortunate to have a talented dad who can take a yard find and revive it!

I hope the secret starting ritual doesn't discourage him. Looks like a fun bike.
                    Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A
                    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

And from seeing someone break their foot on a Xr500 Honda from a kick back, wear a pair of boots. After you've done the ritual, kick it like you mean it.
                      Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                      Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                      Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
                        And from seeing someone break their foot on a Xr500 Honda from a kick back, wear a pair of boots. After you've done the ritual, kick it like you mean it.
                        Dang, no kidding!

Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A
                        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                          Rick, your son is fortunate to have a talented dad who can take a yard find and revive it!

I hope the secret starting ritual doesn't discourage him. Looks like a fun bike.
                          Thanks Roger, we'll see how talented I am. I went and picked it up this evening. It is a little rougher than when I first looked at it. They always are once you take of the buyers goggles off, but I still forked over the cash and brought it home. Pulled the battery, spark plugs and drained the fuel from the tank and carb. I've got the battery on a charger to see if there is any life left in it and picked up the spark plugs and installed them. Mixed up some Dawn suds in a bucket, a squirt bottle of degreaser, a couple of MR. Clean Magic Erasures and some brushes to the boy and said have at it. It has the green tree mold and never cleaned grease and grunge all over it. He did a pretty good job, but will hit it again tomorrow in the day light.
                          GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

These bikes are butter to kick over. The decompression works amazingly. If I remember right there are 2 decompression levers, and automatic to the kicker and a manual one up at the handle bar. If you have any issues kicking it over get in touch, I know the 'secret routine' that these bikes have..
                            Rob
                            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I haven't really had the chance to mess with it much yet. I did try to give it a quick kick or two the next day. I put the battery on one of my chargers, but it failed my tester, so I'm not sure if it will effect it starting or not. It said bad/replace, but it has well over 12 volts and 89% charge, but only 2% health. Since it doesn't have to push a starter it should work. The lights came on, so we'll see. I pulled the decomp lever and it held. slowly pushed the kicker down until it clicked and the lever popped back and slow allowed the kicker to rise back up, but when I kicked it, it turned over way too easy. almost feels as it has no compression, but when it comes around to where you need to pull the lever it's like it's locked up. Pull the lever and go through it again and it just seems too easy. Sunday morning I'll try and see if it is getting spark.
                              GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Working...
                              X