1981 Honda CBX1000 4600 mi Akron-Canton OH CL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 Honda CBX1000 4600 mi Akron-Canton OH CL

This is NOT MINE but if I had money to burn...it would be. Oh that sound...

Nice bike! However this is the least desirable of the CBX models in regard to it's collectible status and value.

Also, many of these bikes were given to schools by Honda for students to wrench on and many have popped up on the market over the years. I would only purchase one of these low mileage examples if the history shows it was not a school bike.

Comment

There is a nice one in the Chillicothe, Ohio area too.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing about the sound. But my CBX dream would look (and sound) like this:

sigpic
        1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
        1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
        1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
        On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
        All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

You'll never know what a CBX should sound like, till you hear one with a 6 into 1 pipe. That red "79" looks good & the $8000 price seems real reasonable. The Grey "81", like he said is the least desirable of all the CBX"s. Nice looking bike but doesn't look like a bargain, the dressers, especially the grey ones, would be very hard pressed to fetch $9500. Of course there are the folks who like the dresser CBX's better than the early ones, their opinion will probably be much different than mine. I like the "79" & "80" models much better now than I did back in the day. I never wanted one back then, I'd really love to have one now, not for the handling or performance, but just the looks & sound, gosh those red "79"'s are beautiful, & I mean "REALLY BEAUTIFUL"
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I know what you mean......my first CBX had the skinny wheels and thin forks.....
            But I changed all that with the basket case spare frame and parts I had.....

Comment

There's no such thing as a "bad" CBX. Yes, the '79-'80 models are more collectible, but if you've never had seat time on the '80-'81's..you've really missed what the whole changeover was all about. It turned a very cool bike into a great sport touring bike. I spent a whole summer back in '81 on a gray one exactly like that with similar miles on the odometer, and it was pure magic. For such a large bike it actually handled pretty well. HORRIBLE gas mileage, though, because you couldn't keep out of the throttle, but, man, what a ride. The baggers are coming on in collectability as the early models become so expensive making them out of reach for a lot of people.
              1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Agreed, the touring model is the least desirable and least collectible, and $9500 would be a questionable investment at best. Of course, we've all said that before and have been proven so wrong. That '79 model posted by Mr. Busa though is stunning. Thats the bike that Honda should be building right now. Absolutely beautiful. Wow

Comment

Originally posted by busa1300 View Post
                  I know what you mean......my first CBX had the skinny wheels and thin forks.....

That is perfection.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by busa1300 View Post

Raasks with an air shifter? GSX-R front end? ST 6-2 set up?

Comment

Working...
                    X