1992 Yamaha XTZ 660 Ténéré

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1992 Yamaha XTZ 660 Ténéré

Last June I took my tax return and impulsively bought a Yamaha XTZ 660 from 92 on the cheap. I originally came on this forum two years ago when I bought a 77' GS750 and began a project thread. Long story short I had to wait two months for parts on my GS so I bought the Ténéré for some summer riding I knew I'd miss if I waited for the GS parts, people take a month vacation here in Sweden so everything shuts down in July.

IMG_0410.JPG

I had a great time with the bike, had to fix an exhaust in the fall and then the motor started making a strange noise. Thought I put some cheap oil in it and maybe needed to adjust the valves. Bought some Yamaha oil, took off the valve cover, turn the crank with a wrench, won't turn 360 degrees, at best it will turn maybe 180. But here's the kicker, the bike runs and whatever is obstructing the crank when hand turning it does not hit the crank when using the starter to run the motor. However, when I first bought the bike the guy said the starter was acting up. When you start the bike it would make a banging sound but would always start, run smoothly, and do 100mph. So, when I bought the bike I believed it was the starter acting because it rode fine. When I took off the starter cover I realized the starter was fine, and when I couldn't turn the crank a complete 360 I knew I had problems. So, is there a way to verify your crank is out of wake without separating the case? I plan on diving into it after I finish the GS, but I'd feel better if I could verify it's a crank problem, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I know they didn't sell these in the U.S. but they are very similar in design to the XT600 regarding the motor. The bike will run but it's making a harsh sound internally. If the speedo is correct it's got over 40,000 km, it might even be in Swedish miles, 1 Swedish mile equals 4 miles.

Sounds like the starter clutch
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Glad I posted this, this is something I was not even considering

I looked up "Starter Clutch" and it's almost verbatim-"Symptoms are a starter that does not engage the motor. You simply here a "fast whine" of the starter."

this is is exactly what happens but there's also a clunking sound before it starts, which it always does. Does this also explain the noise while running?

i just looked up the parts for a new XTZ clutch starter, its close to $500, quite expensive for such small parts.

Thank you you very much! You made my day, the realization that I may not have to tear down the motor makes me very happy, even my girlfriend is excited!

Comment

If it is similar to the XT600 this thread might be of value.
        Looks like there are a couple different bearings[if they need replacing] to chose from depending on the year.
        As I have the LH engine casing off my IVJ xt600 for stator replacement, I would like to take off the flywheel, and check/replace the failed starter clutch, a job that
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Great information, thanks

I don't know why the XTZ would have different clutch bearings but it's totally possible.

Comment

Working...
          X