A new addition to the bicycling stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    Ugh: E-bikes. They are a bane to trails, and they make lazy people feel like heroes. I'm a frequent poster on MTBR, and there are great discussions about these things. Seriously, why give power advantages to humans on a human-powered vehicle. Let the gears be honest, and let safety be at least a possibility for those of moderate abilities.

https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2...b-bike-trails/

So Trails aren't really on my agenda...

The point of my purchase was to eliminate relying on a gas powered ANYTHING to commute to and from work (40 miles) by 40% or 2 days a week. Also to improve my cardio vascular health and overall physical condition.

Some really great vids on E-bikes that swayed me to the cycling side...

Truth, is I love it, I'm having fun with it, I look forward to moving away from gas and tire hungy MCs for my commute and I'm improving my life with one.

UGH: Why do i even contribute?
    Last edited by Jedz123; 02-20-2019, 02:16 PM.
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Jedz, I see why you have a good argument for buying one. I commute in to work once a week (RT 30 miles), but that's about all I can manage due to multiple duties which keep me out late (not interested in commuting home in the dark despite excellent lighting on the road bike).

So long as they aren't on trails, I have no issue with them. I don't want one, but I see why people like 'em for distance riding.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Jedz, I see why you have a good argument for buying one. I commute in to work once a week (RT 30 miles), but that's about all I can manage due to multiple duties which keep me out late (not interested in commuting home in the dark despite excellent lighting on the road bike).

So long as they aren't on trails, I have no issue with them. I don't want one, but I see why people like 'em for distance riding.
        Yeah I could see how a heavy (and torquey) bike is as good for the trail as an old 100cc 2 stroke...

For me it's all abut the commute man, going green and trying to stay under 200lbs
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
          Yeah I could see how a heavy (and torquey) bike is as good for the trail as an old 100cc 2 stroke...

For me it's all abut the commute man, going green and trying to stay under 200lbs
          I think I weighed over 200 when I was born, LOL. Weightlifting made my gorilla-ish figure.
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

The ebike technology has come a long way and definitely useful for the intended purpose. As a mostly single track mountain biker I am a bit concerned where the ebike thing is going to go as they become better, cheaper, faster, etc. Right now they're still allowed on most of the developed trails in our area, as are regular mountain bikes, but how long will that last and where and how will trails be designated in the future? Will they have to ban all forms of bikes, will they be targeting ebikes or will things just end up being a free for all? There are some pretty fancy e-mountain bikes out there already with pretty good speed and range. At what point do we consider them motorized?

Edit: Besides I'm a selfish dick that likes to get out by myself far away from where most people can't or won't go. LOL.

Kona Cinder Cone
            by soates50, on Flickr
            Last edited by Sandy; 02-20-2019, 05:04 PM.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Ah, man, great pic! I agree, it's a really sticky wicket. I don't want an e-bike, and I get frustrated with a certain e-bike riding fat bastard on the MTBR forum who is always bragging about how fast he is (on the street) and how riding on the road is more interesting than riding off road, but the worst part to me is how people who would never venture off road are trying to show off out there to boast about out-climbing conventional riders but who then either crash badly or get stuck out in the middle of nowhere, often having ridden so badly that they've damaged the trails.
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Quick Question, when did they start the putting prostate saver channel in all the saddles?

Comment

Originally posted by B.C.G.S. View Post
                  Quick Question, when did they start the putting prostate saver channel in all the saddles?
                  First versions started showing up about 20 years ago and the trend has steadily increased.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    First versions started showing up about 20 years ago and the trend has steadily increased.
                    I ride an ISM and love it!
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Holy chit those ISM saddles are expensive ! I hope it loves you back long time. LOL

Comment

Holy chit those ISM saddles are expensive ! I hope it loves you back long time. LOL
                        There are parts of a bicycle that are pretty much impossible to overvalue. A great saddle is one of the very top pieces IMO.
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Sorry, but hundreds of dollars for a saddle is robbery.

Comment

Sorry, but hundreds of dollars for a saddle is robbery.
                            Until you've ridden one and can assess the difference, that is only surmise. You do get what you pay for in saddles. I feel the same way about motorcycle saddles. I love Sargent's work, but think that BMS is superior there, too. I've never liked Corbins much unless they were customized by someone else. But all of the above are far better than stock.
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

A lot of high end bicycle parts are over the top expensive these days. There seems to be a sizeable white collar guy population that spends big $ on the recreation. $200 saddles are nothing these days; guys routinely spend $1000+ for a pair of wheels (no tires or gears) for example, or $200 for a pair of riding bibs/shorts. Personally, my cap price for a saddle is $100, but when you think about how much time some guys spend cranking out miles it's no wonder they don't baulk at spending so much.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Well said. I bought mine used for $125 and can say that it is hands-down the most comfortable cycling saddle I've ever ridden. It's on my beast of a fat bike, attached to a Thudbuster, and it allows long offroad rides with plenty of seated spinning.
                                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                                1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                                X