No announcement yet.

A new addition to the bicycling stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spent $140 for a saddle forty years ago.... I still have the saddle and it's on my mountain bike ....
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

DSC03801.jpgI spent $80 for a super-nice saddle 15 yr ago. Used it twice. Painfull after 20 miles.
      Got a big mushy saddle on a used bike, free, and I rode from Pittsburg to DC on it twice... without a hiccup. It's now on my Tri Bike. ( Yes, it looks goofy)
      What works for you may not... will probably not... work for me. or Him. Or her.
      "There is an ass for every seat, and a seat for every ass".
      Last edited by exdirtbiker; 02-24-2019, 09:57 PM.
      1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
      1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
      1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
      Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Squishy saddles are definitely not my cuppa, but a well made saddle is worth its weight in gold after 10-20 miles.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
          Squishy saddles are definitely not my cuppa, but a well made saddle is worth its weight in gold after 10-20 miles.
          My seat is ok on the FLX... IF I could just get some good weather that's not cold or snow I'd be happy...
          I have to get an indoor trainer for my bike... I just keep procrastinating for I'm using the spin machines at work and those seats make my legs hurt after an hour or so (20-25 miles indicated). If I can keep pace for a couple of hours on the trainer I think I'll know how my saddle is for my new bike...

I'm recovering from the Flu (knocked me on my ass this past Thursday) and I haven't trained since Wednesday. Planing to do an hour on the spin today after work, been too long since working out... I'm on week 4 for my training. Pretty impressed with how I've come around. This is training from Couch to 30 miles.

So guys what do you use for bicycling gear? Shoes, Helmet, jerseys whatever... I need to get some new equipment for riding this summer. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I have bike underwear... It's my secret for long ride in the MC saddle
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Cool question, Jedz.

As a predominantly fat bike and BMX rider, I ride flats and have a couple of pairs of shoes (Vans and Five Ten). For shorts, I wear baggies with Nashbar chamois under them. Current helmet is a Schwinn Thrasher, and gloves are Fox Rangers.
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

A couple of you seem to know quite a bit , so here's my questions... why don't mtn bikes use upside down forks? and only a few use two triple clamps?

Comment

If I recall correctly, the main issue with inverted forks in bicycles is stiffness. I imagine that with thru axles, the possibility is becoming more attainable. As for triples, they add weight as they add structure, so you see them on DH bikes but not so much CC rides.
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by B.C.G.S. View Post
                  A couple of you seem to know quite a bit , so here's my questions... why don't mtn bikes use upside down forks? and only a few use two triple clamps?
                  Heavy duty "downhill" mountain bikes typically use two triple clamps for the (long travel) front fork, and rear suspension as well. These bikes go crazy fast and need all the stability they can get. More "cross country" oriented bikes get by with less fork travel and one triple clamp (which saves weight). Regarding upside down forks, I'm not sure why they are not more common. Bicycle guys tend to be very bike weight conscious so I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yeah. I ride fat bikes, and inverted forks (and I can't really count the Lauf) are no more common, and that's in a less weight-weanie demographic by nature.
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Thanks y'all. On the weight, upside down forks have less which is a good thing.

Comment

Thanks y'all. On the weight, upside down forks have less which is a good thing.
                        Yes, but when they turn the bike into a flexible flier, not so good.
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Sheldon Cooper's fun fact of the day : Bicycle forks are curved to provide a bit of suspension.

Comment

Sheldon Cooper's fun fact of the day : Bicycle forks are curved to provide a bit of suspension.
                            Sort of. It's actually a byproduct of the design intended for trail to make the bicycle more rideable.
                            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

There are lots of straight leg bike forks. The "suspension" aspect can be affected by a number of things including: wall thickness of the blades, diameter/profile of the blades, stiffness of the crown, stiffness of the steerer tube, and of course the materials used. As always, the devil's in the details.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

next bicycle

I'll be buying off ebay:

Get the best deals on Bikes when you shop the largest online selection at eBay.com. Free shipping on many items | Browse your favorite brands | affordable prices.

love the look, have to add fenders &change the seat.
                                1981 GS750L (sold)
                                1981 GS750L (current)
                                1978 Yamaha RD400 (RD = Race Development)
                                1981 Honda CT70 (86+ MPG at WOT most of the time)
                                1983 GS1100GL (needs work: update, gone to a new home)
                                1956 Simplex (with a TS250 motor)
                                1985 GS1150E (Hammer Time!!)
                                1998 1200 Bandit (Rattler)
                                1980 GS1100L (Janice)
                                Do I continue?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col Jeff Cooper
                                e tan, e epi tan

Comment

Working...
                                X