No announcement yet.

My new Yamaha VMax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"V -Max snacks" is what we use to call them back in my drag racing days. My GS would eat them all day long. There was this guy that would ride his from Akron to Quaker City Dragway (about 50 miles). When he got to the track he would lower the Wheelie bars to race. Going home he'd raise them back up. He had taillights on them and everything, it was the craziest set up. Fun times back then...
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Aside from their dubious looks, the 125 mile range and 700 pound weight make the newer VMax a non-starter for me.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Anybody know what the second generation Max does in the 1/4 mile? They ever get it into the high nines?
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          Anybody know what the second generation Max does in the 1/4 mile? They ever get it into the high nines?
          Stock, it's about 10 flat at close to 140.
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Funny thing, another ugly bike that is exactly as quick is one I would own (and one Jedz has owned): The B-King.
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Had a Yamaha Venture that I ran for one summer, very similar engine to the VMax. Love the sound of a V4 that's for sure! As to styling, it's a matter of opinion but the VMax has always been it's own animal, like it or not, same for the first gen Virago and Suzuki Highlander. That in of itself is a big draw for me, there's far too many bikes out there where you don't know what you're looking at or who made it unless you read the badges.
              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                Had a Yamaha Venture that I ran for one summer, very similar engine to the VMax. Love the sound of a V4 that's for sure! As to styling, it's a matter of opinion but the VMax has always been it's own animal, like it or not, same for the first gen Virago and Suzuki Highlander. That in of itself is a big draw for me, there's far too many bikes out there where you don't know what you're looking at or who made it unless you read the badges.
                The first gen looked good, aesthetically. I enjoyed mine-other than the stupid fuel range.
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

I really enjoy the VMax!!

(When I had an Eliminator 900, I rode with the
                  Allentown, PA VMax club a couple times.)

1979 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                    Funny thing, another ugly bike that is exactly as quick is one I would own (and one Jedz has owned): The B-King.
                    The B-king was a dreadful bike for trying to daily ride on... I know my next motorcycle will not be a flat plane I-4... The most drone engine. After getting on my cross plane I-2, I want more odd firing order in my life. My FZ1 is FAST but lacks the personality. Kinda like you Sporty Pilot. The engine brings all sorts of character that an inline 4 or 360/180 I-2 doesn't.

The B-king had the same range... Less torque (more wheelies). It wanted to strip you off the bike. My Concours 14 with ZX-14 upgrades and refalsh was faster on the high end than the B-king because of aerodynamics. I would still choose my shaft drive 1400ccc Fat Ninja over a B-king any day for joy riding. The B-king was a V-Max rip off... It just wasn't done as well. I would recommend just getting the Hayabusa. No aerodynamics with a Hayabusa engine is just not as fun as some down low bone crunching power.

The FZ-10 is on the list and only because of the toqrues. An inline 4 that thinks it a V-4. I know I love my Inline 2 that thinks it's a V twin! As I said I have no real interest in inline 4's anymore, unless they are cross planed.
                    Last edited by Jedz123; 03-06-2020, 04:45 PM.
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                    Originally posted by Hayabuser
                    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Jedz, maybe I didn't read that right: Are you suggesting that the Sportster motor doesn't have character?
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                        "V -Max snacks" is what we use to call them back in my drag racing days. My GS would eat them all day long. There was this guy that would ride his from Akron to Quaker City Dragway (about 50 miles). When he got to the track he would lower the Wheelie bars to race. Going home he'd raise them back up. He had taillights on them and everything, it was the craziest set up. Fun times back then...
                        If your GS was eating VMAX's all day long, you either had a highly modified GS1100E/GS1150E or the VMAX riders you were "racing" didn't know how to ride. We're talking about bikes that were capable of high 10's in the quarter mile, right out of the box, and this was in the mid 80's. It WON the muscle bike wars, which is why it has survived all these years and is still being made to this very day! The 2nd Gen will do mid to lower 10's right out of the box and some guys have easily gotten them into the 9's with just a few minor mods, airbox, ECU reflash, exhaust, that gets it from 175 HP to 200 HP pretty easily. There's actually one that's been modified by UFO Performance to get it into the high 8's at over 155 mph. Go ride one and you'll want to buy it, it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it, and I can't say that about every other bike I've ever owned. Sure, their cruising range is only 120 miles or so, but a small price to pay for an amusement park ride in your garage! LOL! My 2015 model will probably be the last bike I own, before I turn my attention back to 1st generation Camaros.

Jon Cornell of UFO making an 8 second pass. RIP!
                        Last edited by 83GS1100E_Tornado; 03-06-2020, 05:28 PM.
                        Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                        87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                        99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                        15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Jedz, maybe I didn't read that right: Are you suggesting that the Sportster motor doesn't have character?
                          Not at all, implying the exact opposite in that it has allot of character .V-Twin Chain Primary... quite an awesome little lump, my 1200 was horrible on fuel but it was nothing Like anything I've ridden before or after.
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

It is a truly cool motor. Mine got slightly thirstier after intake, exhaust and ECU mapping, but it still gets mid-40's around town and about 50 on the highway.
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

There was a 883 FI for sale for $1500 in my neck of the woods... Thought about it, just no idea what I would do with it. Love my Bonneville to bits. Maybe replace the tux?
                              Jedz Moto
                              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

It is a truly cool motor. Mine got slightly thirstier after intake, exhaust and ECU mapping, but it still gets mid-40's around town and about 50 on the highway.
                                Are you talking about the Vmax or the Sportster? My fuel light comes on at about 62 miles on the Vmax.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                                Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Working...
                                X