First 1000 miles on the Sportster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
    I'm holding out for a five litre VTwin with a lawn seed roller sized rear tire, a 56" inch high-wheeler bicycle rim up front and two skateboards mounted to the bottom of the frame to support your butt cheeks. It's gotta have ape hangers of course and a parascope built into the tank to see where you're going.
    Oh for sure, me too!!!
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I think most of us tend to find a certain type of motorcycle and then stick with it for most of our lives. I did that with Japanese fours, but it has been a genuine pleasure to step out of that bubble with this bike.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
        I think most of us tend to find a certain type of motorcycle and then stick with it for most of our lives. I did that with Japanese fours, but it has been a genuine pleasure to step out of that bubble with this bike.
        Me too!

It typically happens when you're young (counting the days till you're legally licensed!) For me, there were basically two types of Harley's - Electraglide and Sportster. I couldn't take my eyes off of Sportsters; I was mesmerized.

And then the Honda 750/4 came out and several factors came into play. First was the bike itself - it was a marvel! It blew the doors off most any thing. Then there was the sound. If you put a 4-into-1 on it, up that by a factor of ten. And the shear number of them. And when Kawasaki stepped in, the in-line four Jap wars started and never stopped.

So now I'm living my late teens early twenties fantasy and have both. And I couldn't be happier about that.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Exactly, Rob. I still have the 900f, and I plan to do a total restoration of it. By today's standards, even that bike is SLOW and cumbersome, but it goes, stops and handles very well in the real world of things. And with the Sportster, when I get on it, it changes the way I ride in a fun fashion. I'm glad I got one.
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

The Sportster makes me want to ride every day. That is the best testimonial to this machine.
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Love this machine. The blue one is its older, bigger sister.

FullSizeR2_02.jpg
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

i inherited this one...354 miles but i'm not sure what to do with it...i want to sell it but people keep trying to book price me and that ain't happening for a semi rare better than new bike...
                Attached Files

Comment

That's a sweet bike.
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                    i inherited this one...354 miles but i'm not sure what to do with it...i want to sell it but people keep trying to book price me and that ain't happening for a semi rare better than new bike...
                    Is that an XR-1200? What year? Stock?

I saw that model bike in the Harley parking lot, except it was...raped. That's how I described it to my brother. Decals on every available inch of the frame and body work. A windshield. A raccoon's tail hanging from...somewhere. Tassels. Leather saddlebags and front fork bag. Forward foot controls.

I mean, if this was any motorcycle, I would have described it as raped, but I was trying to impress upon my brother the historical importance of this model, going back to the XR-750. The owner showed up and I held my tongue. "Nice bike," I said.

As we walked away, I told my brother that man should be behind bars.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

It's an XL883R.
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                        It's an XL883R.
                        It's still beautiful. Evokes the (non street legal) 1972 XR-750. I can see Evil Knievel pulling sky-high wheelies on it before doing something that will break most of his bones.

And to plagiarize the Grateful Dead, I'm assuming (hoping) that beauty never spends a night out in the "Cold Rain and Snow."

Comment

Oh, absolutely. I love the 883 displacement's history.
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                          X