No announcement yet.

I never liked the prominant radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the main thing that enables water cooled bikes to be so much more powerful was that water cooling enables higher compression ratios.

I'll never own a bike with a radiator (a small oil cooler is cool). And I must be able to see the beautiful headers, and the engine, which must have large, functional cooling fins.

You always want what you wanted, and was cool, when you were 15-20 years old.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I have ridden My old GS in all ranges of temperature. From 30's to well over 100. On the ridiculously hot days she would smoke like a train, and the power was noticeably down. That was the motivation for going Water cooled on my next bike. The next bike now, will be water cooled, AND fuel injected.
      '83 GS 1100T
      The Jet

sigpic
      '95 GSXR 750w
      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
        I never remember seeing a modern air cooled bike overheat, or if it did we never knew it. Surely they did, but has anyone ever seen it?
        Certainly did.
        After a stinking hot day stuck in London traffic, the next morning the bike wouldn't start. No compression worth speaking of in any cylinder - all the rings had overheated and lost their temper.
        That was the factory engine in the '79 GS850 - by that time it had done 140K and needed an overhaul. Not because of the cylinders *until then* but because it was leaking from the usual places and the PO's legacy of clutchless changing had left it with a wrecked 2nd gear dog that needed attention, so at some point it was coming out for attention.
        Until that day it had started willingly enough, totally belieing its age / mileage.
        When I stripped it, the cylinders and pistons were perfect.
        Last edited by Grimly; 10-31-2019, 06:29 PM.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
        X