JC Penny Swinger 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JC Penny Swinger 2

Pick up a new project yesterday. Just getting time to post about it. It a JC Penny Swinger 2. Pretty much a Barn find. Got it from a coworker. Hasn't ran in couple years so I will have to go thru the fuel system and carb. Needs tires and tubes since they don't hold air and are original to the bike. Everything seems to be intact but the kill switch knob broken off.

Sounds like a fun little project and it looks like they have a bit of a cult following judging by the prices I see being asked for them.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Looks like a competitor to the Postie bike
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Could have sworn that was a Malaguti or something similar.
        Turns out to be a Puch.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

So took the carb off today and it spotless inside. I know the tank has gas so I going pull off the petcock and drain it out. Flush it out with some fresh and install the new spark plug and fuel line and see if might start for me. Also price tires and tubes for wheels out just have to budget them.

Comment

So Fuel in the tank smell good and was clear and clean. Installed new plug, new fuel line. After some pedaling to get started, it did start. Rode it up and down the road and around the block once. Got 23 mph out of it but it bogging which I think either bad gas or the fact I raised the needle when I clean the carb since it was adjustable. Now need get some tires and tubes order and do some cleaning to it.

Comment

Cool project.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Order tires and tubes yesterday. So in the next week here I pull off the rims and clean them up and check the brakes over.

Comment

New tubes and tires installed, Fixed the broken kill switch. Adjusted the chain when I reinstalled the back tire. Brakes looked good. Bearing in back wheel very stiff with old grease so re-grease the balls and put all back together. Road tested bike seems off on running.

Owners manuals says to clean muffler every so often so took that off and clean it. Removed the 2 restrictors that where welded in. Bike still didn't want go right. Pulled carb bowl off and found water in there. Not sure how got there but going drain the tank fully and fill with fresh stuff.

Also going to remove head gasket as common thing to up the hp level of 1.5 hp engine. Also adjusting the jet for the added compression.

Comment

Weren't all the dept store bikes either Puchs' or Benellis'?
                    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

My old scooter was manufactured by Bianchi. Sold in the US as a Wards Riverside along with rebadged Benellis.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

My dad worked for a JCP service center in the mid - late 1970s and he and some of his coworkers bought some and "hot rodded" them. I'm sure they were made by Puch. They found by going through the parts books that the specs on the gearing and motors varied from State to state, and they mixed and matched parts and even modded the exhausts. In the end they all took a long road trip to Hell Michigan and called it their "to hell and back on a moped trip".
                        Note: I just Googled the distance, it was about 130 miles round trip if they didn't take the scenic route- which they were known to do. Lol
                        Last edited by TxGSrider; 03-21-2020, 02:41 PM.
                        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Working...
                        X