The Mule has been traded!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
    Unfortunately, I think LAB3 may be talking about masks and Corona. (Fear mongering, freedom of choice.)
    No, Rob, he specifically mentioned HELMET. YOU were the first one to mention "Corona".

I have seen a frequent mention of the lack of reading skills here, this is a classic example.
    Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
    So far with it being 90+ degrees out I've been riding without the windshield or a helmet, ...
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      No, Rob, he specifically mentioned HELMET. YOU were the first one to mention "Corona".

I have seen a frequent mention of the lack of reading skills here, this is a classic example.
      I'm sure I've slowed down a bit, but I was reading at college level before I left elementary school. So I don't think my reading skills need to be questioned.

I was reading 'between the lines,' based on some private communications I've had with LAB3 and some recent postings he made in other threads.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

And post #39? Maybe I misread....

Out of here...
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I agree that it is probably not the best decision, but I have met LAB3, too, and agree that he is adult enough to know what <might> happen in the event of a mishap.

GS1150Pilot, may I respectfully ask if you ALWAYS wear ALL the gear ALL the time? Yes, I'm asking about helmet, armored riding jacket (mesh or leather), armored riding pants (mesh or leather), over-the-ankle armored boots and armored gloves?

If you skimp out on any one of them, you are technically in the same boat as LAB3 skipping out on the helmet, no matter how you try to rationalize your decision.

Personally, I have worked in and around hospitals since January, 1973. I have ridden motorcycles since 1975. I have had a few get-offs, some with a helmet, some without. Given the choice, I would rather crash with a helmet, but also given the choice, I would rather not crash in the first place. I am thankful that I live in a state that does not mandate helmet use. I agree that it's a better choice, but don't like being forced to wear one.

LAB3, I support your right to make an informed decision.

Steve, I do always wear a helmet. I have to counter your equivocation, however, as a decision not to wear armored boots every ride is very much not the same as choosing not to wear a helmet. I wear a helmet, gloves, a jacket, jeans and over the ankle footwear when I ride.

I should add that in two separate motorcycling accidents, my life was saved by my decision to wear a helmet. My shoes did have to be replaced in one of those, as did gloves, jeans and a jacket.

Europe and the UK have long had helmet laws, and people have generally abided by them since their promulgation. I understand that such laws seem to be an invasion into personal choice, like seatbelts and smoking inside public buildings, but they do seem to have an undertone of concern for the commonwealth, no?
          Last edited by GS1150Pilot; 07-06-2020, 08:00 AM.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

I’m not debating the merits of wearing gear or not. I agree it’s usually a good thing. However, I do support his right to ride without a helmet, which is a decision made with the knowledge of possible results in a mishap. It’s legal in oHIo, he is exercising his right and does not need anybody preaching to him about the evils of riding bare-headed.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I’m not debating the merits of wearing gear or not. I agree it’s usually a good thing. However, I do support his right to ride without a helmet, which is a decision made with the knowledge of possible results in a mishap. It’s legal in oHIo, he is exercising his right and does not need anybody preaching to him about the evils of riding bare-headed.

I don't consider saying that not wearing a helmet is stupid to be preaching.
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

It was like 20 miles on a shakedown cruise in hot weather. Generally speaking I'm wearing a padded mesh jacket, double front canvas weight dungarees, a helmet and leather work gloves. If ONE ride brings up this kind of reaction then this country gets what it deserves, totalitarianism, plain and simple. It doesn't matter if it comes from the left, the right or some other place, having others dictate how you want to live and die isn't what this country was founded on, quite the opposite.
                1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

...totalitarianism, plain and simple. It doesn't matter if it comes from the left, the right or some other place, having others dictate how you want to live and die isn't what this country was founded on, quite the opposite.
                  Does that mean you have the right to go sans mask in public?
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

If ONE ride brings up this kind of reaction then this country gets what it deserves, totalitarianism, plain and simple. It doesn't matter if it comes from the left, the right or some other place, having others dictate how you want to live and die isn't what this country was founded on, quite the opposite.
                    I get Aristotle's square of oppositions, but you could have just said it was a one-time deal. You suggested that you wear a helmet most of the time, but mainly because it is the law in many states you ride through. Then you went all wonky with some sort of derring-do spiel and suggested that those who think helmets should be made mandatory are thieves of your god given freedom. Hmmmmn ...
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Some experience &amp; knowledge to share

So -- if anyone wants to get back to the discussion about motorcycles --

I had a 1980 GL1100 in the stable for a while - these are fun bikes --

The '80 had different gearing and was a little quicker - the later models were geared for better MPG in response to the touring crowd --

There is a LOT of information found here -->>
                      https://goldwingdocs.com/

here is a quick video of the bike as my Son was riding it to work one day

Currently in the Stable :
                      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Nice! I got an 80 and an 81 for free a couple months ago (my son found them on Craigslist), not too bad condition. One looked just like that but no fairing or panniers. Plus it came with a cool articulating sidecar frame and clean titles. I was tempted to restore one, taking best off the 80, and then parting out or selling that one. But I put them on Craigslist for $1K for the pair, and a week later, gone. got $275 for the sidecar frame. I think they are great bikes, and there are so many out there plus a great knowledge base. Those early 80's can be modded whichever way you like, for better or worse. In the end since they had sat so long and needed a full going through, they would have chewed through cash, and I think flipping got me as much profit as I would have if I restored one or both. I look every day for deals, and in the last few months have gotten the best ever (GS1100E Turbo for 1K haha)

[QUOTE=Wingsconsin;2614063]So -- if anyone wants to get back to the discussion about motorcycles --

I had a 1980 GL1100 in the stable for a while - these are fun bikes --

The '80 had different gearing and was a little quicker - the later models were geared for better MPG in response to the touring crowd --

There is a LOT of information found here -->>
                        https://goldwingdocs.com/
                        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                        '79 GS100E
                        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

They definitely LOOK better naked, though I suppose for practicality, the full dressers are better.
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

all I know about them is that some people obsess about the timing belts-granted, it's awfully important. Perhaps they age, getting cracked or whatever? It's apparently a job I would avoid if not necessary but I suppose you need to look at it?

Comment

I thought the belts were pretty easy to change-especially on the nakeds.
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Well, if they snap it's an interference engine so I'd personally replace for peace of mind. It's not that bad of a job. It's a consumable/wear item like tires, chain, brake pads etc, and rubber that's old and has gone through heat cycles gets brittle.

My first intro to them was my Fiat 124 - first mass produced belt driven DOHC car. Replacement was 25K and many in the US ignored that, and I think it contributed to the 'Fix It Again Tony' slur - which is too bad. Granted they had electrical and rust gremlins but were well engineered and stylish cars. that belt sure was narrow though. My first car was a Toyota Corona and the cam chain tensioner failed - I 'd rather replace a belt than do that job again.
                                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                                '79 GS100E
                                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                                X