Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Bike identification

Hi guys,
    GS enthusiast here from Melbourne Australia. Found a 1980 GS1000G that i am really interested in but can't seem to be able to find much info about the bike using the chassis plate# (GS100G-106213) and the engine number(GS100G-110090). Also seems like the bike has some modifications that i'm not sure about like an actual Tow bar, and the bike has some aftermarket nose fairing and the headlight is square instead of round as per usual.

Any info would be much appreciated.
    I rode the bike and it felt good and it has low mileage(around 24300kms). Been sitting for a while so needs a service but nothing felt out of the ordinary. I'm just not sure about these modifications.

bike_1.jpg
    Attached Files

This is the Dash if that helps

dash.jpg

Comment

It looks to me like the instrument panel and headlight came off of a GSX750, either 80 or 81. Thats what i would say for bikes sold in North America anyway. Don't have a clue what might have been sold in Australia.
      Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
      1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
      1981 GS1100E

Comment

Thanks for that @Zuluwi, much appreciated.
        I can't seem to find anything about the engine number from https://ozebook.com/compendium/suzi/...-nos/page3.gif

and also the chassis plate number is nowhere to be found in that list above either.

To my untrained eyes, the bike looks like an GS850G that has a GS1000G engine in it. Not sure if that combination is possible but that is my conclusion so far.

I think i'm going to miss on this one as many things are just not adding up and also the fact that the dash is not original, making it impossible to know actual mileage is not sitting well with me.

Cheers everyone
        Attached Files

Comment

The 850G and 1000G frames actually have the same part number, so it would be hard to say which one it is. The differences were only in the brackets that held the engine to the frame.

That bike is telling me that it's an '80 or '81 1000G with a different instrument cluster and a small fairing with a rectangular headlight. The trailer hitch appears to be rather well made. I have towed trailers with other bikes, and would be proud to have that one on my Suzuki, if I wanted to pull a trailer. The paint is an obvious tribute to the 1000S "Wes Cooley" bike, which is a nice set of colors.

Yes, it's an odd collection of mods, but in my book, very tastefully done. If it works well and has no leaks, I would feel good buying it.

Comment

Thanks for that @phydeauxmutt,

I've been reading up a lot on the 850G and yeah i think i can confirm the bike is a 1980 1000G.
            That tow bar does look great, almost looks factory fitted.

My only concern is that towing a trailer might have strained the engine and the fact that the instrument cluster is not original hence not knowing how many miles the bike has done is a real issue for me.

Thanks again for all the input.

Comment

Trailer towing in itself isn't that much of a strain, ... if it's done in a reasonable manner.

Yeah, there are going to be those that say 'no way, no how, is there ANY reasonable manner', but I have towed several, with several different bikes, and I know others that have pulled everything from just a light platform with a tent and a cooler to a full-blown fold-out camper. All have survived, along with their bikes. There are a few GSers on this forum that will admit to pulling trailers with 850s and up. I don't think you need to worry about that 1000.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
                Thanks for that @phydeauxmutt,

I've been reading up a lot on the 850G and yeah i think i can confirm the bike is a 1980 1000G.
                That tow bar does look great, almost looks factory fitted.

My only concern is that towing a trailer might have strained the engine and the fact that the instrument cluster is not original hence not knowing how many miles the bike has done is a real issue for me.

Thanks again for all the input.
                GS engines get used, they are not "strained", LOL.

Comment

Too bloody fussy. Get it bought and used.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                  X