Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offered a (mostly)complete 1980 GS1000G for my 78 550E, what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Delkevic exhaust should work on that bike. That's what I have on my skunk.
    2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
    82 gs1100L probably the next project
    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

I'll start a new thread on the restore, I discovered new carb boots, new air box boots, new gaskets on the valve cover and clutch cover. Someone put some love into this bike (The PO didn't ride it much) to make it run well, and that it does!
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Stock bars are halfway to L. I think they're meant to be paired with a Windjammer. Drag bars are too low and straight, Daytonas are a good height but too much bend. I like GP touring, Euro bend, superbike. IIRC you're a couple inches taller than me, so weight my thoughts with that in mind.

I look forward to seeing what you do with this thing.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

If you are going to do a lot of miles, and knowing how long YOUR riding season is, a National Cycle Street Shield EX would be a nice addition, and the stock bars would work well with that.

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
            I'll add that the chrome front fender isn't stock, either.

I think the only non-L shafties with a chrome fender were the '79 850s.
            not sure whether it's a US market thing or not, but my '81 1000G has a chrome front fender - always has. (haven't read through the rest of the post yet to see what he did!) :-)
            Patriots Defence Force MC Club
            '81 GS1000G
            2015 Rocket 3 Touring (sold)
            2018 Indian Roadmaster (sold)
            2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
            1997 Honda Goldwing GL1500 (sadly, written off after a slide down the road - September 2023)

Comment

Working...
            X