Opinions on DL1000 V Strom as an 850 replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on DL1000 V Strom as an 850 replacement

I am replacing the GS850 with something newer and there is a 30000 mile 2004 DL1000 available locally.
    At this point I want pillion comfort and reliability. I don't mind wrenching, just don't need to do more than reasonable.
    Doing less than 2000 a year and a lot of that is two up on back roads taking in the smells and sights.
    I suppose my question is, can the DL1000 be as comfortable and reliable as the 850 was and what to watch for?
    I'm aware of the chudder, lean FI and screen buffet issues.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

You might want to search out bwringer for an opinion. He has, or had, one and has posted here discussing it a time or two.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
      I am replacing the GS850 with something newer and there is a 30000 mile 2004 DL1000 available locally.
      At this point I want pillion comfort and reliability. I don't mind wrenching, just don't need to do more than reasonable.
      Doing less than 2000 a year and a lot of that is two up on back roads taking in the smells and sights.
      I suppose my question is, can the DL1000 be as comfortable and reliable as the 850 was and what to watch for?
      I'm aware of the chudder, lean FI and screen buffet issues.
      At 30,000 it's just nicely broken in. Many DL1000s over 100k, quite a few over 200k, and at least one over 400k.

I've had a DL650 since 2006, when I bought it new. Great bikes. Like almost every other bike I've had it needed a better seat (although the 1000 is marginally better than the 650 in that regard) and a better windscreen, and some suspension work.

Other than what you already know there really isn't anything to be concerned about,
      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

My son-in-law has had one for many years he loves it, he found a guy in the uk that does a modification to the clutch basket to eliminate the chudder stuck On a screen deflector.
        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

These bikes are very nice. Much thinner than you GS850, but gobs of torque, and you could get the seat recovered, or look for an aftermarket if you find it too uncomfortable. It will handle a lot better than your 850 did.

Comment

Seven years ago, I went from an 850 to something I hoped would be more comfortable (for me) on the highway: Concours 1000. Mistake, met all the expectations, but like riding a furnace in the summer. Five years ago, found a 2004 DL650 that needed the fuel pump bypass, and did that for less than $50. Still very happy with the choice. A DL1000 is a very good choice if one is of a larger stature than I, but if you are in the 5'10", 175lb range, the 650 is more than sufficient.

Comment

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. It is appreciated.
              Been to see the DL1000 and it's a great machine. It starts and runs like a champ, no sign of clutch chudder and charging fine.
              I can flat foot on it, felt a bit top heavy with Mary on the back.
              At heart we are naked bike types. The DL has too much plastic for our taste. The dealer got us looking at an R1100R and a Kawa 750 Zephyr, Mary's preference.
              Above this one on a wall rack was a very nice CB200, our first bike that we took to Paris when we had less sense
              It's a 96 MY like this one R1100R.jpg
              97 R1100R
              Previous

Comment

Never liked the clunky gear shifting on the BMW's and the care you have to take down shifting with the shaft in line with the crank. Upkeep costs are more, unless you do the work yourself, Certain BMW's really deprecate inn value quickly. I've found the price between private sales and dealer sales to be quite different. Gotta get the bike you like. 98 H.P. or the Suzuki, 76 to 79 H.P. on the BMW, that's a big difference, especially riding two up. The BMW's dry weight is 2 lbs. more than the Suzuki's Wet weight! The Suzuki is a breeze to tune up. There have been a few times I came close to buying a BMW, and they are nice bikes, but the weight, low power, and potentially dangerous handling (which can be mitigated by not downshifting through turns) always had me go the other way. If I was going to get a RS100, with the full fairing, well, the classic nature of that bike would tempt me. I'm still keeping an eye open for a deal on one of those. The new ones haven't progressed technologically enough, and the horsepower specs are disappointing. IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                  N Gotta get the bike you like.
                  They say that in spite of all our spreadsheets, every decision is ultimately emotional
                  On paper the Strom was clear leader.....
                  The 1100R followed us home. We went for a ride at dusk in 29F. Bones still cold this morning.
                  I had an R100RT thirty years ago and got quite comfortable with the agricultural shifting an relatively low power.
                  The fairing was just too much.
                  This bike is light years ahead in suspension and many other areas.
                  With non servo brakes, single spark and cable operated clutch and what looks like the M94 transmission, I hope I've dodged some potential headaches.
                  Anyway with only 31000km on the clock we can expect a long time before wear is apparent.
                  Now to get started on a full inspection and service. Horn doesn't work and the oil filler cap weeps a bit.

Last edited by Brendan W; 12-11-2022, 07:49 AM.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous

Comment

I ENJOYED READING ABOUT DECISION MAKING PROCESS. PRETZIL LOGIC?
                    THANKS
                    joepenoso

2X 1979 GS Suzuki G

Comment

Well if you owned a BMW before (wish would have been nice if you had mentioned it), I would and do hardily agree with your decision. BMW's, either you love them, or don't care for them much. I almost purchased an RS1000 but the guy just wanted $3K too much. I couldn't budget him on price. I ended up buying another motorcycle, and went back to BMW dealer some months later. (a quite famous BMW dealer in Connecticut, THE place to buy a BMW because of his service) and the bike had dropped in price by 1000's of dollars. I was told they were going to ask the owner to take it back because of lack of interest. This was a "Yellow" RS. I didn't even know they came that color, and there were a couple of chips in the paint. If it had been Silver Blue, I think it would have sold quickly, but it wasn't in perfect condition. The bike you showed seems pristine. I hope you enjoy the many miles you will get out of it. 19K miles isn't a lot of a BMW, or V-Strom, for that matter. I can never go down in horsepower though. Normally I would not comment in a thread like this but you invited the comments. I don't think you could have gone wrong with either decision.

Personally, having gone with a Kawasaki ZZR1200 with only 4385 original miles on it for $2400 dollars (hard to believe, I stumbled into an unadvertised private deal), I think I have found my last bike. Handles like a dream, and has way more horsepower and torque than any sane person could use up, 145 hp at the rear wheel. It's great to have that power on tap when someone tries to cut you of, or you have to get away from the "pack" of cars that seem to engulf you. Any of these motorcycles will do that quite easily. The best of luck. Classy looking bike too!
                      Last edited by Suzukian; 12-11-2022, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Thank you. I was thinking this might be my last bike until the dealer told me the previous owner was eighty when he hung up his boots.
                        He was supposedly a stickler for maintenance. We'll find that out in the next few weeks.
                        I seem to have fixed an issue with the ABS self check. Looks like it's just a voltage problem. There is a relay mod to take it offline during cranking but I imagine it is better fixed by getting the basics right.
                        Has almost new Metzler rubber and new looking Hagon shocks front and back.
                        Seat has gone up to the highest, tool kit all there and the puncture repair kit.
                        The previous BMW was the only bike that put me on the side of the road, twice. A spark plug cap exploded and I limped home on the other pot and the carbs decided to overflow and gave me cold boots. Someone had lined the tank with red stuff and it just kept coming and coming. How it got past the three inline filters I don't know.
                        A niggle with the Strom was the ongoing stator issues and the clutch. If you believed the stuff online you would think bikes were dropping like flies.
                        Likewise the BMWs are supposedly munching their way through drivetrains and gearboxes.
                        It's hard to find a test for reasonable in all the internet stuff.
                        97 R1100R
                        Previous

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post

They say that in spite of all our spreadsheets, every decision is ultimately emotional
                          On paper the Strom was clear leader.....
                          The 1100R followed us home. We went for a ride at dusk in 29F. Bones still cold this morning.
                          I had an R100RT thirty years ago and got quite comfortable with the agricultural shifting an relatively low power.
                          The fairing was just too much.
                          This bike is light years ahead in suspension and many other areas.
                          With non servo brakes, single spark and cable operated clutch and what looks like the M94 transmission, I hope I've dodged some potential headaches.
                          Anyway with only 31000km on the clock we can expect a long time before wear is apparent.
                          Now to get started on a full inspection and service. Horn doesn't work and the oil filler cap weeps a bit.
                          I love the '98 R1100R I bought this year. A really great machine.
                          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

1998 seems to be a good year for many different types of vehicles. It surely was for Subarus. I owned two 1998 wagons that both saw over 270K miles on them, and I gave them away running, not blowing any smoke.

I just turned 65. I still have my first bike, my 2nd bike, and the ZZR1200 I purchased last year. I worked for many dealerships, so I rarely had to buy my own bikes, as I was always given a dealer supplied bike I got to drive many brand bikes, as I could grab interesting used ones too.

The ZZR1200 has an amazing amount of horsepower and torque, yet, it can be driven extremely civilly. It's comfortable, has a huge gas tank, and there are tons of parts available for it.

I'm happy you found a bike you like. I'm in the same place, it's a good feeling. I will be leaving all my bikes to my son, so I know where they'll end up. I have modified my ZZR1200 much, different calipers, forks, rear suspension links, I lowered the bike 1" inch. I have a set of Genmar Handlebar Risers and will probably e buying a double bubble fairing for it. Then it's done, Good luck with your bike. I pulled a sidecar for many years. I've always wanted to make a trike, but now the conversions you see on Gold Wings, something cruder, with a Bobber look.

Comment

The BMW was a good choice, Brendan. Looking forward to hearing about your time on it.
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X