2003 Bandit Starting/Running Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 Bandit Starting/Running Help

I have a 2003 Bandit 600 that only starts on choke, but dies with any throttle applied.

Fuel: When it does run or dies it smells super rich. I have pulled the carbs, cleaned, bench sync'd them, and adjusted the air/fuel mixture screws with no noticeable changes. Jets are clean/clear, floats and needles are set to stock settings and moving as the should.

Air: There's no change trying to run it with/without the air filter, and the engine revs higher when carb cleaner is sprayed into the airbox so I believe it's getting air

Electrical: Spark plugs are new, coils are good, all the connections seem to be clean/tight/functional, and I've tested it with two different batteries without any difference between the two. The resistance values of all the electrical bits are within spec. The signal generator is giving a low peak voltage (from two separate parts) which is the only measurement out of spec I can see so far, so I swapped it out with another one which unfortunately didn't change much.

My thought process: It's got fuel and air, so the spark must be the issue, but the only signal generator peak voltage is out of spec. (low) and it's didn't change when swapping in another part so the problem is upstream. The signal generator runs off then end of the crank, if the crank isn't turning over fast/hard enough it's not providing enough rotation to produce a strong signal. Why? Low compression? Weak spark?

Any suggestions? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
    1982 GS650e - Cafe or Scrambler...that is the question...

That pick up doesn't produce energy like that, or work in that matter. It just senses a break in position to tell the CDI when to run. You could have a bad CDI, but they are pretty robust. How did this problem occur, instantly, or did it build up. Also, did you make sure there's no gas in your oil?

Comment

Does your bike have a Throttle Position Sensor (small black box with wires coming out on the side of the carb rack), and did you check it ?
      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
      Bikecliff's website
      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
        That pick up doesn't produce energy like that, or work in that matter. It just senses a break in position to tell the CDI when to run. You could have a bad CDI, but they are pretty robust. How did this problem occur, instantly, or did it build up. Also, did you make sure there's no gas in your oil?
        The manual includes the peak voltage test (to identify a bad signal genertor), yet both the stock SG and replacement are giving low voltage values so I'm trying to swim upstream to see what might be causing it? No, it doesn't produce energy but it does indicate the signal strength; my thinking is that if the singal is too weak or inconsistant the computer won't fire the spark plugs properly.

The bike was in pieces when I got it in the spring but supposedly ran fine before the PO took it apart so I'm not sure if it was acting up previusly or not.

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
        Does your bike have a Throttle Position Sensor (small black box with wires coming out on the side of the carb rack), and did you check it ?
        It does, but I tested/played with/cleaned it and it's working fine according to the diag.tests

Comment

Usually in these type of ignitions, the change of voltage from the trigger is what causes the CDI to fire. I'd follow the wires back and check them at the source. The could be a pinched or corroded wire degrading the strength or your CDI is bad, or you have bad grounds. Bad grounds are a big problem with Suzuki motorcycles with some grounds going to painted surfaces, and Suzuki relying on the threads to ground, which corrode, and you loose a ground, or it becomes weak. Check the fundamentals of the circuitry , clean every ground, and put a new end on every corroded wire. It could drive you nuts otherwise. My GS750ES ran the negative wire from the battery to the engine, and that surface was painted. When I unbolted it, the threads were all rusted. I purchased the bike brand new.

Comment

It runs, so I would tend to rule out electrical components. Poor grounds of any type all need to eventually be cleaned/updated in any case, so fix them properly and that area can now be eliminated from a probable cause. Dont rule out the carbs or fuel yet. It could be an air leak which is very common on old bikes. I know it can get expensive, but having a forum carb guru go through your carbs can positively rule that out as a cause and give superior driveability once up and running. Sometimes fixing tough problems is not about finding the problem, but by eliminating probable causes that need attention regardless
            Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
            Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
            Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Thanks for the input fellas, I agree it's not a bad idea to check those grounds regardless of whether it's related or not. Talking with a mechanic relative of mine this past weekend his impression was that it's fuel/carb related, and suggested looking for air leaks as well. I'll give those a go and see what I can find. Cheers!

Comment

[QUOTE=KillerGriller;

Fuel: When it does run or dies it smells super rich.

and the engine revs higher when carb cleaner is sprayed into the airbox
                [/QUOTE]

Something doesn’t compute.
                Is it super rich?
                Or super lean?

Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Originally posted by pdqford View Post

Something doesn’t compute.
                  Is it super rich?
                  Or super lean?
                  Good question, it's part of why I'm confused. Plugs are black when I pull them, there is some smoke, an it smells rich after it stalls, but it only starts on choke and revs high. (shrugs)

Comment

I would try running some Sea Foam through there, in the oil too. Bad grounds on these bikes came from the factory, they have ruined many ignition systems, and the problems are intermediate, till they finally give out, as Suzuki figured the threads where good enough for grounding, and they ground the battery tab to a painted surface on the engine. The corrosion on the thread is amazing to behold.

Comment

Working...
                    X