Back With a New-to-Me Kawasaki ZX-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JMHJ View Post
    Aren't the '80 and '81 GS1100Es the ones with the square headlight? And the '80 1100L the only L with the 16V motor?
    Those square headlight models are affectionately known as the 'Lunchbox.' The gauges were also housed in a big rectangle. It's generally agreed that the return to round gauges (and headlight) in '82 and '83 was much more aesthetic.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Fuel petcock gasket could be dried out, but you need to find out where it's leaking from, could be from the fuel position knob. If you are going to replace it, make sure you get a new gasket, and really get the surface clean. It's really not that uncommon on an older bike. Bad as to it's implications if not fixed, but not out of the ordinary in reality.

Comment

Merry (winding down) Christmas...

Just updating on the progress - finally was warm enough today to get out there this afternoon and do the fuel pump (and fuel tap). Ran the bike for a few minutes on an alternate gas supply, and changing the pump appears to have fixed the significant leak. I was able to force air through the old one while holding a finger over the outlet, so yeah something was wrong there.

The damper on getting the big leak fixed was that I confirmed a seep at the number 1 carb float bowl (appears from there; not sure). That one had stains and the others were pristine. So I've got more to do in my future. They look pretty easy to get to. Those were supposed to have been done fairly recently (within the last couple of years I believe), but obviously something didn't get quite squared away on number 1.

Easier to work on than 4-wheel vehicles, heh.

Comment

Older bikes, entropy. Not really uncommon. At least you know how to fix it!

Comment

Yeah; I'm having just a little trouble controlling my throttle hand on this thing, heh. I had it out for a nice ride yesterday in 60F+ but WINDY, then today for a shorter one on an errand. Don't want to make an a$$ of myself or startle anyone rocketing around them any more than necessary. That's another part of this - self control.

Plan to pull the carbs before the cold weather's done, and hopefully get that all addressed. Then there'll be a rear shock rebuild or replacement at some point...

Comment

Well, if you startled anyone, it will be further in your past, than in there's, but as said in the book of Isaiah...Forget the past!

Comment

Working...
              X