Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Race Tech Rear Monoshock - Rebuild or Replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Race Tech Rear Monoshock - Rebuild or Replace?

On my '97 Kawasaki ZX-11, old installation.

Any opinions about that? I've never messed with suspension stuff. It's got a "remote reservoir"(?) under the seat, where the damping is controlled. I heard something about 175psi of nitrogen needed. I might have access to some nitrogen bottles at work, where I could do that, but otherwise that's beyond me.

Idk if the factory setup was similar, with the separate reservoir or not. Just going back with a factory shock (used?) could be an option too, but the front forks are also Race Tech, and Idk if mixing parts like that is a good idea.

I'm so ignorant about suspension issues that I might not have noticed or known about an issue, but PO(s) (father and son) told me they thought it needs to be rebuilt. I have noticed it's a little wonky in curves when the pavement isn't smooth. And it's the roughest riding bike I've ever had. (I REALLY need to check the tire pressure; it's beyond foolish that I haven't done that yet...).

Anyway, thanks for thoughts. I haven't tried to contact Race Tech yet, to see what the options are as far as rebuild.

Those are decent shocks. Worth sending it to R-T for a rebuild.

Typically on remote reservoir shocks the rebound adjustment is on the reservoir, the compression adjuster is on the shock body.
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Was the PO a big guy? If so, maybe he had the spring weights , etc set up for his weight. I did a few rides on my brothers Ninja 1000 back in the day, and don't recall it being overly harsh.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
        Those are decent shocks. Worth sending it to R-T for a rebuild.

Typically on remote reservoir shocks the rebound adjustment is on the reservoir, the compression adjuster is on the shock body.
        Sounds expensive... PO said it was a "gold" something (gold valve probably).

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          Was the PO a big guy? If so, maybe he had the spring weights , etc set up for his weight. I did a few rides on my brothers Ninja 1000 back in the day, and don't recall it being overly harsh.
          No, the son wasn't; maybe 170. I'm 240. Not sure about the dad, who had the bike most of it's life, but I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by JMHJ View Post

Sounds expensive... PO said it was a "gold" something (gold valve probably).
            "Gold Valve" is just Race-Tech's name for their fork and shock valving cartridges. I'm guessing $250-300 or so for a rebuild. Money well spent.
            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Working...
            X