1997 Honda VFR750 5408 miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1997 Honda VFR750 5408 miles

Looks like a nice VFR750 in Loveland, CO. $5999. I have read the last of the Honda RC36-2 models are collectable and the engines are GS reliable.

https://wyoming.craigslist.org/mcd/d...574499393.html

00808_1mMqim99Dxfz_0gw0co_600x450.jpg
    Last edited by srsupertrap; 01-29-2023, 12:43 PM.
    1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

I like that model VFR. Don't like it $6k worth, though.

From what I've read, all the VFR's are extremely durable. The early VF's, not so much.

I had a 1987 VFR700, and the engine was wonderful. The suspension sucked. They fixed that on later year bikes.

Anyway, I love me some VFR. I HATE people that hack off the rear fender. It's a disease with motorcyclists, it seems, though.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I had the same red 4th gen as well, a 94 in around 98 to 02, then the later 05 6th gen VFR800 model, with the chain not gear driven cams. A UJM in its own right, in that you could commute on it daily (like I did) and then go canyon riding on the weekend. That 4th generation is one of the best IMO but yeah that's a bit steep. Neither one ever had a single thing go wrong in the ~20K I put on them.
      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
      '79 GS100E
      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

My brother in law has a couple of these. He didn't block off the carb intake and mice made their homes in their. The urine literally melted the cylinder head. He was so proud of the low mileage, matching numbers bike, and now it looked like someone poured acid on the top of the engine. His house insurance covered an engine replacement, and he found one on EBAY. I rode it before, and after the calamity. I just never liked those bikes. The shaft version, VFR800 I believe, feels like their are 16 lb. bowling balls on each end of the handlebars. Lots of torque but handle horribly. I told him I thought something was wrong because every time you hit the front brake, a big clunk could be felt in the seat and heard. He insisted nothing was wrong with it. He had a friend help him with his VFR. He couldn't get the engine out. I told him he needed to raise the frame off the engine, but his friend, who was the North East Service Manager for Honda Motorcycles told me I didn't know what I was talking about. Finally, they asked me to life the rear end up, then said release it. I told them if I released it, the bike would flip over onto it's side. I also asked what they were trying to do. They said remove the engine. I asked, what going to hold up the frame, they said the center stand, I informed them that the center stand was attached to the engine. One and a half hours of going in circles.

We stopped talking last year. His dementia has turned him into a vengeful mean son of a b*tch. I knew him for over 50 years. $6K for a VFR is way too much money. Buy a Blackbird, much nicer bike.

Comment

Its alot to pay but it barely been used. I wonder how many still exist as regular driven bikes.
          Ultimately you can get a much newer bike of equal performance for the same price.
          if I was rich I'd buy it.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
            The shaft version, VFR800 I believe
            Never a shaft drive on that bike. The main difference from 750 to 800 was in the engine, they changed to gear driven (you could hear the gear whine) to chain driven cams. The VTEC was also more noticable on the 750, a 'bump' in the power. I had a 2.2 VTEC in my '97 Accord over in Australia, what a great car that was.
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Wow, I know most of you are old, like me, but none of you have it right.
              The VFR 750 90's models, up thru 1997, had gear driven cams.
              The 98-2001 VFR 800/Interceptors had gear driven cams and fuel injection. These are the years that purists love and are getting collectible.
              The 2002 and later VFR 800s switched to chain driven cams and VTEC. My son had 2 of them, so I wrenched on both.
              The VFR 1200 has shaft drive.
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Oh the 1200, I didn't consider that one. Yeah old, lame, infirm and ready for the grave.
                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I run circles around those over complicated bikes. I'm not a big Honda fan. The CBX had spindle forks that you could see wobble through turns. The VFR's are "special" to the people who think they are "special", and they will over pay for them every time. Good for them, they've created a group of people who have convinced themselves their VFR's are special, and now they can have fun achieving their dream of exalting them to some status. I just don't think they handle that good, and I've had the opportunity to ride a few a lot, as my brother in law has 3 of them, in showroom condition, that he got for almost nothing. Seems like every time he goes to start them, a plug is fouled or something,and he is a motorcycle mechanic, I think he lets them sit too long.

I'll take my ZZR1200 over the VFR1200 all day long (though I do like the shaft). Your entitled to like the bike you like.

Comment

Cycle World was enamored of those bikes.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Joey Dunlop made good use of them.
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                      X