New exhaust for the kid’s Chinese Dual Sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New exhaust for the kid’s Chinese Dual Sport

As some might recall, my new rider 18 year old bought a slightly used Chinese Dual Sport 250. We’ve upgraded a few things, rewired some things, adjusted others. Broken some things; he bent the shift lever because he dropped it in the driveway. I broke a mirror because I dropped it in the grass jumping out of the ditch behind my house. Some things never change. It is a hoot to hoon on. Can’t lie.

I was away on vacation last week, he didn’t want to wait til I got home to put an oring chain on it. Original was very kinky and looks to have never been lubed. So I had him take it to the guy who I get tires and other bits from. My guy got the kid fixed up with a new chain. On the way home, apparently, his throttle cable lets go. Somehow, he managed to ride the bike about 2 miles home clutching with left and pulling on the bit of the throttle cable still stuck in the top of the carb with his right. I had such a flashback of my own dirt-bike riding youth doing similar dumb sh!t. Chip off the ole block. Throttle cable broke in the middle of the sheath. That’s a new one for me. Waiting on one from eBay that should work.

Here’s how the rest of the phone call went:
    KID: oh yeah, dad, I bought an upgrade exhaust, should be here when you get back.
    ME: ………
    KID: yeah, I watched a YT video on the install, should be easy, hardly any modification
    ME: (inaudible over the phone). - see ya when I get home. Stay off that bike.

Anywho,
    Once I get into it, here’s where I’m at about 3 hours later. Bike is it pieces, I cut a hunk off the airbox with a miter saw, cut a sheet of ABS plastic with the band saw to cover the hole. ABS cement is curing.

New exhaust actually seem pretty nice. The 3 pieces fit together pretty snug. My question is at the joints, should there be some type of sealant, gasket, something. Or is this bike just expected to have a small amount of exhaust leak?

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 07-19-2023, 09:42 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

The way those tubes slide in, and the direction of the all that air flow, I don't think you will have any leakage you'd notice.

Comment

Thanks, what I figured. Got the new throttle cable lubed up. It and the modified air filter box are ready to go on, then the exhaust, new grips. The kid plastidipped some of the panels- something he likes to do. He and I’ll be in the garage all evening after supper. He’s antsy to ride. I can’t say I blame him.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Don't you wish you knew who was liking your posts?

BTW....I am jealous, as none of my kids had any interest at all...
        But I was on the other side, it was my Dad riding that got me interested.
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Thank you. Yes, knowing who’s liking would be nice, maybe add to a wish list for Frank.
          Got it all back together and he’s on his way. The modified air box clears the new pipe by enough that it shouldn’t melt.

puting the last panel on.

Third startup after adjusting new throttle cable. This thing sounds like it’s got a lot more ball$ than it actually does. He’s for sure not gonna sneak out in the middle of the night.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            As some might recall, my new rider 18 year old bought a slightly used Chinese Dual Sport 250. .
            ​​​​​…
            ​​​​​…

Here’s how the rest of the phone call went:
            KID: oh yeah, dad, I bought an upgrade exhaust, should be here when you get back.
            ME: ………
            KID: yeah, I watched a YT video on the install, should be easy, hardly any modification
            ME: (inaudible over the phone). - see ya when I get home. Stay off the bike.
            ​​​​​…
            .IMG2]
            oh ha ha haa!

the kid must have all the confidence in the world that ol’ Dad can do anything.
            and apparently he is correct.
            have taken care of multiple broke things.
            dissasemble bike and modify the air box - no problem.

is the exhaust an upgrade, or just louder?
            I didn’t sound too loud on vidio at first, but could still hear it about the same quite a ways down the road.

good father-son time.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

The original exhaust was a rusted mess though only 3 years old. And the PO painted it with what he said was exhaust paint. I have my doubts. The new one was only about $100. It’s shiny. As far as an upgrade, well, it’s certainly louder.

While working on the air box I realized the tiny holes that a PO had drilled in side of the box are all in the chamber between the filter and the carb. No wonder the filter was so clean. It serves no purpose.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Hope you did fix the holes.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I’m thinking about covering the holes. Kid leaves for college Aug. 9, I’ll experiment with it after that.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Working...
                  X