Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FREE 03 Kawasaki Voyager XII: worth the (potential) hassle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FREE 03 Kawasaki Voyager XII: worth the (potential) hassle?

I have the opportunity to get my hands on a FREE 11k mile 03 Kawasaki Voyager XII (ZG1200) in a few months, for the cost of time/gas to retrieve it from an acquaintance of my brother's in NC. Supposedly a running riding bike that just needs some tires. Have seen videos of it starting and idling smoothly, seems like it's been cared for decently tho it's missing the saddlebag lids (seems like most of them are).

If you've read some of my musing (mental masturbation some might say) over in the "campfire" forum you know I've been steering myself in the exact *opposite* direction, back towards lighter weight and simplicity. But at the same time I'd been reading up on all the big japanese touring bikes of the 80s/90s, just out of curiosity I suppose, and came away with the impression that the Voyager XII was the pick of the litter for its (relatively) lower weight, quicker handling, and simpl(er) traditional I4 layout. Well here's one now that's more or less dropped in my lap.

Does anyone have any experience with these rigs? They seem to be generally quite reliable and can rack up six figure mileages without too much drama (front wheel bearings every 30k is something I've read). I've been looking foward to some longer tours on my XS1100 that I've been working on, but the idea of a road sofa that loafs along with a big gulp in the cupholder has an appeal of its own.

General thoughts on the big Japanese plastic-fantastic touring rigs and what they're like to ride/own? There were a few GL1500s at the Brown County rally this past June, I figure there's gotta be something to these things.
    Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
    Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E, '00 Voyager XII

Coolant hoses are non-existent. You could go to the parts store and search and find something on the hose wall... maybe. I sold mine for this reason. I had a '99 Voyager.
    A couple of other "important" items are NLA. Bummer for this line of scoots. Great realiable motorcycles while parts were available.

However, they hold up well. You will eat up tires and bearings. Some of them the air filter takes 4 hours to find - read K&N... Electronics can turn into a nightmare.
    I know several long term GW owners that all have 6 figure odometers. Ridden a bunch of them new and old
    I look at them often but haven't purchased a replacement yet. Not looking to "lounge" around just yet
    Current:
    1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
    1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
    1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
    1998 Chevy C2500
    1999 Rav4

Comment

It has been a while since I have been around Voyagers, but I don't remember any particular issues, other than the first-year (I think it was 1986) models. Major upgrade for the '87 models, then just minor updates all the way to the 2003, which was the last year.
      If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

I was reluctant to buy a Goldwing but when I was given my 1988 Gl1500/6 it quickly became my favorite go-to bike for soaking commutes (which it's rained everyday here for months in Vermont this season, so it's my daily rider now too) and long trips. My wife and I are going on our first MC trip in years and we will be boarded on the GL-1500/6.

I have worked on a ZG1200 once and my recollection was it's a big bike but it wasn't as designed as well to be one vs the GL or Venture of similar vintage. The are quite reliable from what I've seen and I only did an oil change for my buddy. I have never ridden one so I can't say if I could recommend one. I remember looking at the front brakes and thought...ewww that's probably soft to stop (1 pot calipers in the front, same style as the GS). The I-4 in a bike like that might be a bit of a disadvantage, especially moving around and slow maneuvering stuff. The GL boxer engines keeps the center of gravity low and that's probably why they are still the gold standard for Heavy Touring bikes today. My Goldwing handles better in slow speed maneuvering and moving it around in the driveway manually than my 2008 ZG1400 did.

I would say if your looking to do some long touring or riding in rain allot than nothing beats a fully faired touring bike. I have a neighbor that has a ZG1200 and he's on it all the time. I know they are 6 figure mile motorcycles. If the price is free (minus picking it up) it might be worth acquiring and trying to ride it. Worst case you could sell it if it doesn't fit your fancy. they seem to fetch an ok price, depending on mileage. A 2003 with 11K miles means you would be able to fetch something on the higher side of the spectrum (as long as it had fresh tires and ran flawlessly).I've seen them as low as $1000 and up near $3500. So you could recoup the money you put into it if you went down that road of letting it go after trying it out.

A thing to think about that bike for the year it was VERY long in the tooth by 2003. The GL1800 came out in 2002 with ABS and FI and it was worlds ahead of it in every aspect and that replaced the GL1500/6 which also is the better bike overall. That GL1500 is something else. Anyway I'm only saying that as don't be shocked if it's not all that great or compare it to a Goldwing of similar vintage... In 2003 the touring bikes were worlds ahead of the ZG1200 design.

The Price is right for it... I would take without hesitation, especially if I didn't have a vintage tourer. They are great and regardless of it's flaws and antiquated technology, they did and it will still get you across the country just fine.

Does this one have a cruise control? I can't ride distance without one anymore now that I've been spoiled by it on my Bonneville. My GL1500 has one and it's the Bee's Knees.

Cheers.
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Thanks all for the replies especially Jedz for that thorough response.

I haven't ever owned or even ridden a big tourer like this, so part of the appeal is to just check off that box of trying a different flavor of motorcycle out (much like I did with my recently departed and briefly owned shovelhead harley). I'm definitely going to go for it. As for the bikes out-datedness, that to me is actually part of the appeal. I just happen to think that the 80s era of japanese touring bikes are so dorky/outdated that they're cool. The more I read about them the more I appreciate them as very good bikes for what they were designed to do: efficiently burn miles in comfort. In a way this would be the exact opposite end of the spectrum from my Harley: that was the most I'd ever spent on a bike, for something that I didn't particularly trust to ride much past the county line. With some maintenance, I'd fully expect (and like to) climb on that Voyager and ride it to California and back.

Comment

Do you have a trailer? If it's in that good condition, getting a hose for anything, and I've worked for some odd vehicles, may come to cutting some up, making metal adapters to get to the other end, but it's usually doable. So the cost of getting the bike is the only real expense. You could more than likely easily get your expense money back if it doesn't work out.. If you like to fiddle with bikes, and it has a clear title, I say go for it.

Comment

It'd be hard to pass up a free bike even though I don't have any inclination to ride one of those big rigs. I think I'd pick it up just for the challenge of bringing it to life. I find it's getting harder to find parts though, even for these common Suzuki Gs'.
              1986 1150EF
              2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

The bike starts and runs (well, by the sound of a clean idle in the video) and rides! Supposedly has a slow leak from the rear tire and the front is due for replacement. Yes I do have a trailer, but there's a part of me that wants to throw caution to wind, grab a one way plane ticket down to NC with my riding gear and ride the sucker back (would split the 700ish mile ride into two days assuming getting into NC by mid-morning). Maybe document the whole ride back on a GoPro

Comment

Not the best idea you've had lately (IMHO).
                  When I bought my 79 1000E off of fleabag I was considering doing the same thing. I foolishly asked the seller if he was confident it would make the trip from St. Louis to Omaha and his response was "I don't know, I've never had it that far". That was enough for me, I drove down to pick it up and after getting it back home I quickly realized that sucker would have stranded me for sure.

My advice would be trailer it home. Just my .02.......

Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

The only way I would ride a new-to-me bike across state lines is if I had a backpack full of tools and spare parts, and my buddy with a pickup on speed dial. Plus of course a week or two of free time to kill. (The latter is not at all what I have right now.)

But it is definitely something I'd like to try at some point.
                    Charles
                    --
                    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Get a little more info. from brother and owner... That could tell a lot. Only ridden 100 mi. in psst 3 yrs. NO. If yes he runs a tank of gas through it every month or so, Go for it, should be no problem.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Fly up, rent a van, and bring it back, drop van off. If you can find a one way van rental.

Comment

895 lbs! Yikes! Double yikes!! Better make sure that van has heavy-duty suspension!
                          Last edited by Rob S.; 07-31-2023, 01:52 AM.
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

That's no worse than an H-D Ultra Classic.
                            If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Dry Weight is 728 lbs. Heavy, but at least it hydraulic valves, so not much by means if maintenance.

Comment

Working...
                              X