Sloppy Shift Lever, '97 ZX-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
    It seems that the washer was holding it square. I'd try wrapping some shim stock and see if tightening up the shaft in the hole solves the problem. It seems the other washer was holding a worn shifter square to the shaft. IMHO
    My efforts at shimming or filling the gap around the stud aren't working out too well. Haven't tried metal yet. Tried one washer that was just a bit thicker too, but the clip wouldn't go on, lol. Going to get the stud specs to Nessism and see what he thinks.

It's rideable; tested it tonight in miserable heat, but it shouldn't be like that.

Comment

I'm a little at a loss. If it's worn on the shaft, a washer wouldn't make a difference, just like having the right one would only hold the ends tight, and prevent you from feeling any slop that's there. When I posted "Shim", I mean around the shaft, to tighten up the hole. Then any washer would do. I guess I don't understand by what you mean by "sloppy".

Comment

No, you got it. If the washers took up all the space horizontally, there would only be undesired "play" up and down (essentially). As it is, if you looked at the end of the shifter (with the rubber) from the front of the bike, you could see it move around in something of an egg shape (it has play every which way).

This doesn't look like wear to me. It's weird.

Comment

There is a NOS stud on eBay. Seller in Poland, but so what? International shipping will have it to you in a couple of weeks. I didn't look, but think it likely that you can buy a new shift lever also. The only other way you are going to fix this right, is by a machinist's solution.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by JMHJ View Post
            No, you got it. If the washers took up all the space horizontally, there would only be undesired "play" up and down (essentially). As it is, if you looked at the end of the shifter (with the rubber) from the front of the bike, you could see it move around in something of an egg shape (it has play every which way).

This doesn't look like wear to me. It's weird.
            Depends on mileage. Normal wear and tear plus vibration does a lot of damage.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Cast aluminum shifter, steel shaft, never lubed, that's what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by JMHJ View Post

Yeah, I like mine pretty well too. Wasn't looking for one specifically, it's just what came up in my price range and in the style I was looking for. Kinda wanted something my boys couldn't trifle with the old man on too. This fits it. Not that I'm going to ride like that with them, but just the fact that I could is enough.
                I buried my speedo... sold it not long after as I knew I was gonna die LOL.

As for the shifter, the one I have at home hasn't been fixed. I just have a spacer washer right now behind the e-clip. The ZX I sold had the repaired shifter. I know I used a bushing but I've had several bouts of anesthesia and other medical issues since I've fix the other ZX. My apologies.
                Current:
                1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
                1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
                1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
                1998 Chevy C2500
                1999 Rav4

Comment

Working...
                X