Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Madura 1200 broken cam chain.

As its a V4 one assumes two cam chains.
    just how much damage would ensue in this engine from losing a chain?
    non interference timing I hope.....
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Much, Interfering, I'd assume. That motor has to come across. What caused the cam chain to break is the big question. he motor could be a boat anchor. I don't want to be negative, but blowing a chain cam will means at least a bent valve, but the question why could point to something more major. I'd have to take that whole engine apart to find out what caused that. IMHO.

Comment

I like those. Style and power.

Comment

I too thought then and now they are japanese and beautiful in that japanese way.
        I wanted one and though 117 hp is a big step down for me they look so nice.

Many a hacked on wreck out there but there is a fully functional one hereabouts for 1500. Gonna wait till it snows. Im old and to mean to spend money ro fall in love.

The one im asking about is rough though has a lot of donor parts. The rarity works against these two years production killed by Suzuki being number three or four in salesa t the time and the HD displacement tariffs.

its prettier than a V 65
        the only contemporaries from the other guys is a v max and a kawasaki eliminator. Neither of which has elegance as part of its design ethos.
        the latter is an I4 iirc cant thing of any other V4s from Japan other than touring bikes.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

It could make a nice trike engine if it has high torque to make up for the low horsepower.

Comment

Speed numbers I see are decent for that style of motorcycle (IMO) - 11s and mid-upper one teens in the 1/4 mile.

Comment

Back to the cam chain issue, I'd in the very least remove both heads, remove the bottom and see what metal, how the ends of the cam chain look, and try to determine why that cam chain broke. In a bike like that, a cam chain breaking is not a common of expected occurrence. Something must have had to seize to break the one chain. The problem should be on the side of the broken chain. If you removed that jug, and were able to turn the motor freely on the other assembled chain, they you may be able to isolate the problem and get away with fixing the broken size. You have to make sure you get all metal pieces out, find the cause.

Keeping the head together, see if the intake and exhaust cam shafts spin (separated from the head, kept together in their mounts). You'll see a mark on the piston if it hit the motor. You may find one of the cam shafts seized. It could be an oil passage way, it could be a few things, but if you go step by step, you will find the problem, and with a little luck, be able to put it back together without spending too much cash.

Comment

I'm reminded of a story someone on here told years ago, I think I even mentioned it before: As best I remember, the setting was evening, remote in Nevada somewhere; idk if it was a little cafe or what, but the guy had a Madura, and there were some other rougher bikers there, like sitting on his bike when he came out (not cool). Anyway, I think he had his girlfriend with him too, and they headed out wherever they were going and essentially ended up being chased by one or some of those guys, out in the desert (you know, on blacktop). He had the power, but not a lot of gas (small tank capacity), and it was a creepy, kind of thriller story. He lived to tell it (heh), so I guess they came through.

Comment

Having been one of "Those guys" back in the day the best way to deal with them is to stand your ground. It's not a fight they're looking for rather the content of your character.

We had only one guy we let ride with us on "rice" back then for that very reason. He had a dressed Yamaha XS11 Special and when my current bike was spotted on Craigslist (The base model dresser) I knew I had to have it!
                  1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                  1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                  LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by JMHJ View Post
                    I'm reminded of a story someone on here told years ago, I think I even mentioned it before: As best I remember, the setting was evening, remote in Nevada somewhere; idk if it was a little cafe or what, but the guy had a Madura, and there were some other rougher bikers there, like sitting on his bike when he came out (not cool). Anyway, I think he had his girlfriend with him too, and they headed out wherever they were going and essentially ended up being chased by one or some of those guys, out in the desert (you know, on blacktop). He had the power, but not a lot of gas (small tank capacity), and it was a creepy, kind of thriller story. He lived to tell it (heh), so I guess they came through.
                    Wasn't that a 'Mad Max' movie?
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Could be; I never saw those.

Comment

Working...
                      X