Lurching after Throttle Roll-Off, Hwy Speed+, ZX-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lurching after Throttle Roll-Off, Hwy Speed+, ZX-11

I hit 80,000 miles on the Kawasaki the other day, which may or may not relate to my question. It's got an annoying characteristic (maybe worse than just annoying), of doing the subject line, after maneuvering in traffic, and completely cutting the throttle to quickly get back in line as it were. It still happens, just not as distinctly if I roll off more slowly (which is a dangerous habit to ingrain under that circumstance, imo).

You could almost call it bucking, but it's not quite that severe. I read somewhere (but can't find it now), somebody said (this particular bike) hates throttle chops; it wads up the cam chain(s?). That as much as anything is what is making me wonder how serious this is. It's always 6th gear if I'm not mistaken, since I hardly ever downshift it for power. I'm not looking at RPM at the roll-off point, so can't say exactly. Mid-range maybe, or a bit more perhaps.

To me it feels like an engine issue, not suspension, btw, although the rear monoshock needs attention that I haven't bothered to give it yet. I'm wondering now I am feeling something in the suspension and not the motor... It feels like it gets a little extra boost of power (maybe even 2??) during the deceleration (no braking at all), which is weird.
    Last edited by JMHJ; 11-13-2023, 11:14 PM.

"Bucking" - reminds me of my 11EZ. It threw me once, tried a few other times. Always happened when I locked up the rear brake, trying to skid the rear tire. I'm sure it's the rear shocks, but I could be wrong. Since I parked her in my living room a few years ago, she hasn't misbehaved.

Isn't this the reason slipper clutches became standard on superbikes years ago?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I switched to a mechanical timing chain adjuster on my 93 ZX11. Never heard anything about the cam chain issue that you spoke of. Having had x2 93 ZX11's, I read a lot about them.
      I do know that the ZX11 doesn't like lugging the engine.
      The low pressure fuel pump ( electric ) and fuel filter can cause issues like mentioned. I used a kawasaki filter that's used on lawn mowers running kawasaki v-twin engines. Purchased all new OE fuel lines ( f'n expensive and tough to find ) and purchased all new fuel taps ( the ones that screw into the fuel tank x2 - 1 for fuel on and 1 for fuel reserve ) - all new seals throughout the fuel delivery system.
      I don't recall ever experiencing any engine issues except for the dreaded Blogs connecting rod. This is why I had x2 ZX11's... lol

I also know that the ZX11 was a blast to let loose on and 170mph comes quickly :-)
      Current:
      1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
      1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
      1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
      1998 Chevy C2500
      1999 Rav4

Comment

Yeah I'd think if something was happening to the cam chain it would be drastic. I checked my throttle after posting above, and it doesn't spring back like it should; it goes, but slowly and needs a little help to finish. It's got open and close cables which seemed fine when I was in there changing the float bowl o-rings earlier in the year. Something at least needs lubing now though. But I roll off distinctly, so...

It's got a throttle lock that I NEVER use. Tried it on the ride home some after buying it, but did not like it.

Yes, it's a fun bike. Love the analog gauges, single headlight, etc. Not into any of the newer styles. I'm actually a little surprised at the low RPMs it'll tolerate sometimes and still seem happy, but I don't stay there long, often, or ask much of it like that.

Comment

Working...
        X