Wheelie Recovery Technique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheelie Recovery Technique?

Took the ZX-11 out today for a bit to make sure all was well prior to what looks like a decent riding week coming up (it had been sitting for a few weeks before that). Got a bit of a surprise when I pulled out onto the highway with a car in my lane but back a ways - Idk if I rolled on the the throttle "just right" or what, but the front came off the ground higher than I've had it yet, and was still coming when I backed out of it.

I wasn't expecting that since I've accelerated hard like that a number of times (where the front comes up a bit), and it's never a big deal; I guess I pulled in the clutch when it happened because it was still in first when I let it back out after the front tire was back down (another surprise, lol). I shifted up a few gears and got out of the way.

I guess I'm wondering what's the suggested method, to smoothly ride through that instead of sort of making a mess of it. Shift with it in the air? Idk if I could do that or not. I assume rolling off the throttle some w/o doing anything else might be the answer if keeping it up isn't the goal (it isn't), and then continuing normally once the tire's back down.

I've never ridden dirt bikes or I'd probably be more comfortable with stuff like that. I used to pop some small-to-decent first gear wheelies on my GS450L a couple decades ago (until I noticed the chain had a little hitch in it), and my GSX1100G came way up on me one time with the help of a little rise and lots of power in first gear (total surprise; tried it a few times on purpose after that, but too chicken to get another big one or pursue it further).

Practice, practice, practice in a parking lot or wherever. Gotta screw around until it is second nature. My VMAX used to come up extra fast sometimes and I would short shift it, almost always though just back off some but not a lot. Sometimes I would be sliding it out of a corner and bringing up the front wheel at the same time. Just practice, practice, practice. That's the only way not to kill yourself. If you have to think about it you're reacting too slow.
    1986 1150EF
    2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Originally posted by Big Block View Post
      If you have to think about it you're reacting too slow.
      Yep.

I just realized it's kinda low on gas, and that 20 or so lbs makes a difference, believe it or not. If I was 50lbs lighter I'd have to really watch it, prob.

Comment

It's how hard you put it back down that really matters. If it's too hard you might get front end wobble. Pulling the clutch in makes it a bit smoother. I lift my elbows up so the weight of my arms doesn't add to the wobble.
        2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
        82 gs1100L probably the next project
        1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
        1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Whatever keeps you from falling is the first priority.
          Clutch can save you, but if you are past balance/tipping point that will not do it.

Rear brake is the trick, gives you control.

Maybe there's a wheelie school where you live, it's the fastest and safest way to learn !
          Big fun, too.

Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Rear brake as Rijko says. The great thing about that is your brain is already trained to stab your right foot down when in danger. It's the one time on a bike that it's the right move. Otherwise it's been the death of many bikers when encountering danger.
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Wheelie bars worked for me.....

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

cool picture Bob
                Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                Bikecliff's website
                The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

That wheelie school looks like fun. My son with the ZX-6R mentioned the rear brake too just now. Not as in from his own experience surely, but just knowing it. He did a big one on accident last year that hopefully cured him of getting careless with it.

Is 9.09 the ET for the drag pic?
                  Last edited by JMHJ; 01-29-2024, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JMHJ View Post
                    Is 9.09 the ET for the drag pic?
                    It was the "dial in" for a bracket race.
                    That bike ran 9.0X to 9.4X in the 1/4 mile, depending on the weather.
                    Sadly, I never made the 8's...
                    I didn't win a lot, but sure had a ton of fun, and made a lot of friends...

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I got stuck behind a really slow truck on my 919 once, I forgot that I was in third when I finally got a spot to pass, I pulled out and hit the throttle….big mistake…the front wheel came up so fast the driver of the truck was looking at the front wheel through his door window….very big eyes. I chopped the throttle a bit much and the bike came down hard and not quite straight….my nuts hurt at this time cuz I ride snuggled up to the tank. Blipped the throttle again to bring up the front to straighten out, shifted up and came down softly, never to see the truck again.

Now I have been riding a very long time and don’t make a habit of doing wheelies. I do however find out if each new bike to me will do one, so am a bit familiar with what to do….but I gotta tell ya don’t chop that throttle when the wheel is that high, it hurts when ya come down. That said mussel memory took over and controlled my actions during that surprise rise and kept bike upright and in the right direction.

V
                      Gustov
                      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                      81 GS 1000 G
                      79 GS 850 G
                      81 GS 850 L
                      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                      80 GS 550 L
                      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                      2002 Honda 919
                      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post

It was the "dial in" for a bracket race.
                        That bike ran 9.0X to 9.4X in the 1/4 mile, depending on the weather.
                        Sadly, I never made the 8's...
                        I didn't win a lot, but sure had a ton of fun, and made a lot of friends...
                        What kinda mph did that put you at through the 1/4? I was thinking "estimated time", but ET prob means elapsed time in that context (something you don't know yet at the starting line, lol).

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                          ...I chopped the throttle a bit much and the bike came down hard and not quite straight...
                          Lol. When I first started dabbling with it on the 450 (that's like over 25 years ago actually), I popped it right up off a red light one time at night, and came down painfully hard like that, lol. It didn't have the power to ride it out or maybe it needed some tuning.

Comment

Originally posted by JMHJ View Post

Lol. When I first started dabbling with it on the 450 (that's like over 25 years ago actually), I popped it right up off a red light one time at night, and came down painfully hard like that, lol. It didn't have the power to ride it out or maybe it needed some tuning.
                            What I found out is that my 919 will do it in every gear so I am mindful with that bike, it turns on so fast compared to the Suzuki’s we ride.

V

Gustov
                            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                            80 GS 550 L
                            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

We were never into doing the wheelies when young hooligans.
                              Are thing was doing burn-outs. You hold the front brake and get the rear wheel spinning. Then let off the brake and ride it out!
                              Thinking back, the movie Mad Max was a big influence on how we rode back then! haha

rip Toecutter
                              My Motorcycles:
                              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)
                              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                              X